Cell Phone Annoyance

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default Cell Phone Annoyance

In article ,
Joseph Coulter wrote:

That said I feel sorry for the guy who spent a recent Sydney harbour
dinner cruise glued to his Blackberry. Saw him the next day walking
along the Circular Quay --you guessed it on the phone.

Sorta like the guy (fortunately having coffee) who was incessantly
gabbing on the cell in the Chops on the Adventure last Feb.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article , Marsha wrote:

Having lost track of my wife at Lowes or KMart or the mall both
before and after cell phones, I'd have to disagree. I really don't like
walking around aimlessly for 10 minutes or so until I bump into her
again.

Wouldn't it be easier to agree to meet somewhere at a certain time?

Not really. Lot of the calls were to extend the certain time
because one of the other found something really neat, or more often I
was bored and wanted to leave early.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

Having lost track of my wife at Lowes or KMart or the mall both
before and after cell phones, I'd have to disagree. I really don't like
walking around aimlessly for 10 minutes or so until I bump into her
again.

Oh my god no! That would throw off your whole schedule for the rest of
the cruise.
You'd end up going to bed 10 minutes late, waik up 10 minutes late,
and miss all your excursions!

Only on those ships that have Lowes or KMarts. Do they have those
on the Genesis class?
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rog'

"George Leppla" wrote:
I have two pet peeves... people talking on cell phones
while driving or when in a restaurant.

How about texting while driving a train?
Locally, a truck driver rammed a school bus, stopped
with its lights flashing, started a fire, killing a kid. The
driver was allegedly talking on his cell phone at the time.

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

I think you are making up as you go along.
No one wants to see or hear you blah blah blah on the phone.

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"G&V" wrote in message
George, this may help:
Definition: VACATION
1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission2 a: a
scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is
suspended b: a period of exemption from work granted to an employee3: a
period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation had a
restful vacation at the beach4: an act or an instance of vacating

When I take a vacation, I leave behind much of the everyday routine... but
I never take a vacation from life. FWIW, some of the best calls I ever
get are from people who are standing on a cruise ship calling me on a cell
phone telling me that they are having a ball.

I also have a kind of tradition that when I am going on a cruise, I call
an elderly relative on my cell phone from the ship and tell her what I am
doing. She can hear the music and the sea wind and the ship's horn as we
pull away from the pier. Sometimes I call her from a foreign port and
tell her about the things I have done and seen that day. She has never
been on a cruise and because of her age and health, won't ever go... and I
am not about to ignore her just because I am on vacation. A good time
shared is a good time multiplied.

In all your cruises, you have never once made a telephone call to someone
at home? Not even a call to talk to a grandchild who might miss you or to
share your good times with a friend? Not even a call to check on an
elderly relative or friend to brighten their day and make sure that they
are all right? Your "real world" disappears the moment you step on a
cruise ship because you are on "vacation"?

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cruise Crazy

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
.
com...
And I thought that the Liberty of the
Seas was too big! Guess I have got to
get on the QM2 one day...Since those
long transatlantic flights are such a
pain and so tedious, maybe I should look
at a cruise to Europe and then returning
on the QM2 since it seems it is the only
one going back and forth the Atlantic
each week.
--Jean

How about doing the Princess Wold Cruise? After 100+ days you can
disembark and take thw QE2 back to New York.

~~DORIS~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RCCL Grandeur 12-8-2008

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

"George" wrote in message
.. .
Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:
Hey, George

Yes it is. Cell phone users don't seem to have any clue how loudly
their screaming into their phones.

They know how loud and annoying they are.
They are Vocal Exhibitionists and enjoy being the center of attention with
their rude behavior.
G&V

Old September 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"AZ Nomad" wrote

It has always been possible to get in contact with cruise passengers
during an emergency. The invention of radio isn't new.

On one of my first cruises I had to call home. The cost to call from the
ship was $14.50 a minute. So yes, it was possible but prohibitive.

Most of the assholes screaming into their phones aren't involved with
anything remotely resembling an emergency.

The funny part of this whole discussion is that I really don't like cell
phones and the only time I use one is when I am either on the road or on a
trip. I have two pet peeves... people talking on cell phones while
driving or when in a restaurant.

That said, I am thinking of getting an I Phone. This way I can leave the
laptop home.

Or wait and see what the new BlackBerry Storm looks like when it comes out
shortly.

Old September 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:00:39 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote

It has always been possible to get in contact with cruise passengers
during an emergency. The invention of radio isn't new.

On one of my first cruises I had to call home. The cost to call from the
ship was $14.50 a minute. So yes, it was possible but prohibitive.

Right. Grandma is in the hospital after a heart attack. One couldn't possibly
convey any information in a minute, right? If it cost 4 minutes, one couldn't
possibly justify spending $60.

Sheesh.. This is getting *really* stupid.
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:55:53 -0400, G&V wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:
Hey, George

Yes it is. Cell phone users don't seem to have any clue how loudly
their screaming into their phones.

They know how loud and annoying they are.
They are Vocal Exhibitionists and enjoy being the center of attention with
their rude behavior.

Never ascribe to malice that which can be just as easily explained by ignorance
and stupidity.

Cell phones are unreliable devices and too many people think that they work
like two cans and a bunch of string in that shouting into one will have
a better chance of getting the message across.