Lanai, Kona or Honolulu for Christmas?

Old October 14th, 2008, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

Default Lanai, Kona or Honolulu for Christmas?

We have three days to kill after spending time on Kauai and Maui, and
we were wondering what the better place to stay would be for three
more nights. Like good food, maybe a different experience. People have
recommended LAnai to us, and dissuaded us from Honolulu and we've
heard mix-ed things about Kona.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 14, 2:26*pm, " wrote:
We have three days to kill after spending time on Kauai and Maui, and
we were wondering what the better place to stay would be for three
more nights. Like good food, maybe a different experience. People have
recommended LAnai to us, and dissuaded us from Honolulu and we've
heard mix-ed things about Kona.

No Hawaii, thoughs, eh? is this the right group?

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge13[_2_]

Kona is nice.
Touristy but nice.
Small but nice.
Have to pay for parking but it's OK, about $5.

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

We have three days to kill after spending time on Kauai and Maui, and
we were wondering what the better place to stay would be for three
more nights. Like good food, maybe a different experience. People have
recommended LAnai to us, and dissuaded us from Honolulu and we've
heard mix-ed things about Kona.

Perhaps not Honolulu but certainly the north shore of Oahu would work for
me. Work any of the area between Haleiwa and Kahuku and if in the area try
the tiny Hukilau Cafe for breakfast at Kahuku. Great dining at Haleiwa
(Holly eva)
aloha, s

Old October 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Steve wrote on Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:52:19 -0600:

We have three days to kill after spending time on Kauai and
Maui, and we were wondering what the better place to stay
would be for three more nights. Like good food, maybe a
different experience. People have recommended LAnai to us,
and dissuaded us from Honolulu and we've heard mix-ed things about
Kona.

Perhaps not Honolulu but certainly the north shore of Oahu
would work for me. Work any of the area between Haleiwa and
Kahuku and if in the area try the tiny Hukilau Cafe for
breakfast at Kahuku. Great dining at Haleiwa (Holly eva)
aloha, s

Many years ago, my family (2 adults, 2 college kids) spent Xmas in a
short term rented apartment in Waikiki. It was great even if Xmas
morning on the beach was colder than we might have liked. We just had to
do it to say that we had! However, Xmas dinner at Roy's was fine. We
spent a further week on Maui at Napili Beach where the weather was much
improved but that was chance.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old October 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"James Silverton" wrote in message
news
[...]

I would avoid Waikiki like the plague, but the Windward side of Oahu is
beautiful.

The Big Island is interesting. We like Volcanos National Park and the lush
Hamakua Coast north of Hilo, especially the Onomea botanical garden and
Akaka Falls. We started going to Kona because it's the sunniest place on the
4 bigger islands. Don't love it but it's interesting. Hilo is more
interesting but very rainy, like 200 inches per year.

Marianne

Old October 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Mimi wrote on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:09:58 -0700:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message news
[...]

Waikiki makes a good base if you have a car and there are excellent
restaurants within easy reach. It is part of Honolulu anyway and Oahu is
not exactly immense :-). Other beaches are not far away and the Bishop
Museum is worth seeing.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old October 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_2_]

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:16:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Waikiki makes a good base if you have a car and there are excellent
restaurants within easy reach. It is part of Honolulu anyway and Oahu is
not exactly immense :-). Other beaches are not far away and the Bishop
Museum is worth seeing.

Just got back from a two week island-hopping Hawaii trip. I was fully
expecting to hate Waikiki but was pleasantly surprised. Good shopping
and restaurants all around, and everything is open late. I was amused
to see all the street hawkers advertising shooting ranges (mainly
focusing on Japanese visitors).