row 13 on aircraft?

Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Gerard Farrell

Default row 13 on aircraft?

I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps, or is there another
reason?

Gerry

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
George Max[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:00:57 -0000, "Gerard Farrell"
wrote:

I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps, or is there another
reason?

Gerry

As if renumbering rows makes the 13th row disappear. Please. It's
still there by another name.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Neil Williams

Gerard Farrell wrote:

I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps

Yep, it's that. For the same stupid reason a lot of hotels don't
either...

Neil

Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

George Max wrote:
As if renumbering rows makes the 13th row disappear. Please. It's
still there by another name.

A lot of aircraft have rows numbered as if the whole aircraft were coach.
So you might have rows 1 to 6 in business class, followed by row 14 to 25
in coach.

Interestingly, many airlines, while using this mentality, end up starting
coach row numbers at 12, and thus include row 13 just behind it. However,
it isn't really the 13th row since theye might be only 6 rows of coach
ahead of row 12.

Also, bear in mind that there have been very few instances in history of
row 13 not making it to destination while all other rows made it. So it is
pretty hard for row 13 to be more jinxed than any other row.

Does anyone know which row numbers left the UA 747 when its cargo door
popped open in flight near Hawaii ?

In teh case of the Aloha 737 convertible, I doubt they lost row 13 because
it was front rows that lost pax.

More importantly, do the pilot seats count as a row ? Do the spare jumper
seats in cockpit also count as a row ? If so, then it changes where the
actual 13th row is located on the aircraft :-)
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank

people afraid of row 13 should be politely asked
to walk to destination, especially on long range
flights. as someone pointed out, even if it´s not
labeled 13, there is one.

how can anyone remotely believing in the "magick"
of 13 suppose a plane could take off?

* we call it science, people from the middle ages *

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Nobody wrote:

In teh case of the Aloha 737 convertible, I doubt they lost row 13
because it was front rows that lost pax.

No passengers were "lost".
A flight attendant, standing near row 5 was ejected.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"Gerard Farrell" wrote in message
I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps, or is there another
reason?

LH planes don't have a row 17 either.

I've no idea why

tim

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Gerard Farrell"
wrote:

I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps, or is there another
reason?

Not a clue, but I'd be rather annoyed. I often (well, several times)
have gotten the last window seat and often it's a 13. Grabbing a seat
in 13 is almost as good as going right to the back if you want to better
your odds of an empty seat beside you.

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
james

My former office building had one bank of elevators serving 1-12, the
other 14-24. I worked on 5 so realized about a year later there was no
13.

james www.futuregringo.com

Old January 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

Gerard Farrell wrote:
I just flown on a a couple of KLM flights, and noticed that none of the
aircraft used had a row 13. Is this purely superstition and to stop the
hassle of having passengers asking for seat swaps, or is there another
reason?

Superstitions are silly. My apartment is located on the 13th floor of a
building, yet when I want to take the elevator up to my apartment, I
have to press a button labeled "14" to get there.