Ann Coulter on the Democrap Party candidates

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Hatunen

Default Ann Coulter on the Democrap Party candidates

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:18:38 +0100, "Turan Fettahoglu"
wrote:

What has she done to deserve such contempt?

she is just plain radical, does not accept any opinions except her own and
becomes more and more abusive.

Radical on the conservative end of the spectrum.

Old March 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Carole Allen[_1_]

someone wrote:

She's a lesbian. Why else has she never had any children?

Well, first she's got to get someone to have sex with her....she's
anexoric, horsey-faced and shrill...a real come-on. I'm sure...
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 7/03/07 22:45, in article ,
"Hatunen" wrote:

Radical on the conservative end of the spectrum.

Otherwise known as the extreme right.

The right-left designation is an invention of the French

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-right_politics

The terms Left and Right have been used to refer to political affiliation
since the early part of the French Revolutionary era. They originally
referred to the seating arrangements in the various legislative bodies of
France, specifically in the French Legislative Assembly of 1791, when the
moderate royalist Feuillants sat on the right side of the chamber, while the
radical Montagnards sat on the left.[10]

Originally, the defining point on the ideological spectrum was attitudes
towards the ancien régime ("old order"). "The Right" thus implied support
for aristocratic, royal, or clerical interests, while "The Left" implied
opposition to the same. At that time, support for laissez-faire capitalism
and free markets were regarded as being on the left whereas today in most
Western countries these views would be characterized as being on the Right.
But even during the French Revolution an extreme left wing called for
government intervention in the economy on behalf of the poor.

Old March 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:18:38 +0100, "Turan
Fettahoglu" writted:

What has she done to deserve such contempt?

she is just plain radical, does not accept any opinions except her own and
becomes more and more abusive.

She does seem to enjoy widespread popularity amongst Republicans.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 8/03/07 11:27, in article ,
"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote:

She does seem to enjoy widespread popularity amongst Republicans.

Other far right Republican favorites include Rush Limbaugh.

Another favorite was O'Rourke who in August of 2001, a few
days before 9/11 had a WSJ article entitled

"We'll Run this Planet as We Please"

to which I posted on Oct 1 2001----

In certain respects Bin Laden and crew responded to O'Rourke`s article
by saying "No you won`t"

The idea that the most power single state in the world could take effective
charge of things*was a natural development of the end of the cold war.
The Gulf War was successful in what it what it was set up to do, and
President Bush One made some silly statement about a "New World Order".

O'Rourke made a silly statement since I don`t think anybody in the current
administration, even prior to the events of September 11th thought it turns
of the US being able to run the planet. Indeed, the idea was that the US
would just involve itself with issue which were in the "national interest".
The concept of *"national interest", as I pointed out several times in
soc.retirement, has been poorly defined in the past. *What are in the
national interest tends to be those chosen on a ad hoc basis.

I seem to remember several posters using the "go and pound sand" *line
O'Rourke put forward. *A good expression is like a double edged sword.
It is currently cutting in a direction our in house conservatives may
not like.

We may end up literally doing only that in Afghanistan. * But time
will tell.

Earl

****

Obviously at that time I did not anticipate that Iraq would be the major
area of American sand pounding.

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Hatunen

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:20:57 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

On 7/03/07 22:45, in article ,
"Hatunen" wrote:

[...]

Gee. Thank you for the history lesson.

Old March 8th, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 8/03/07 21:04, in article ,
"Hatunen" wrote:

[...]

there was another dimension to the seating, whether one set up front or
towards the back. I don't remember what terms were used. The term
"back benchers" in use in the House of Commons but I am not sure what
that implies. I will leave it to the Brits to explain that.

Old March 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,talk.politics.misc
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:04:57 -0700,
Hatunen has scripted:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:20:57 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

On 7/03/07 22:45, in article ,
"Hatunen" wrote:

[...]

I don't think Earl quite ever realised the notion of 'target
audience'.
--
---
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 8/03/07 23:56, in article ,
"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote:

Gee. Thank you for the history lesson.

I don't think Earl quite ever realised the notion of 'target
audience'.
--

Not at all since I found that certain postings which I might
not expect to have a following do, but others I expect to,

On another group I posted a little lecture on the photon, one
of my favorite subjects. This was stimulated by a recent
article on asterioid rotations being increased or decreased
by sunlight.

I will take this opportunity of sharing the following with you

******

The curious thing about photons is that they possess no
mass but have both linear and angular momentum. Therefore
when tbsorbed light will give the absorbing entity (matter)
momentum. The linear momentum is inversely proportional
to the frequency of the light. Not all photons are equal
in that sense, they change their momentum according to
frequency. However each photon possesses one unit of angular
momentum regardless of frequency.

******

Scientists show that asteroids are solar powered
By Will Dunham Wed Mar 7, 5:32 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sunlight can cause asteroids to spin more quickly,
scientists said on Wednesday, showing anew just how dynamic a place our
solar system can be.

International teams of scientists studying two asteroids, one about a mile
wide and the other about 375 feet

wide, confirmed a previously unproven theory that sunlight can affect the
rotation of asteroids because they tend to be irregularly shaped and not
perfectly round.

Stephen Lowry of Queen's University Belfast in Northern Ireland said the
findings boost the understanding of the physical properties and dynamics of
asteroids -- hunks of metal and rock rattling around in space.

"This is important as asteroids are leftovers from the formation of the
solar system, along with comets, and so by studying them we gain insights
into what the solar system was like some 4.5 billion years ago," Lowry said
by e-mail.

In research appearing in the journals Nature and Science, the scientists
focused on the so-called YORP effect, named for four scientists who inspired
the theory.

The idea is the Sun's heat serves as a propulsion engine on the irregular
features of an asteroid's surface. "YORP can accelerate or decelerate the
rotation rate," Mikko Kaasalainen of the University of Helsinki in Finland
said by e-mail.

When sunlight hits the asteroid, the solar energy is absorbed and then
radiated back into space. When the asteroid is not spherical, this can
create a push off parts of its surface that alters its spin.

"Depending on the exact shape, the effect on the entire asteroid's surface
can lead to a net torque, which can slowly alter the time it takes the
asteroid to make one full revolution," Lowry said.

Patrick Taylor of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, added in a
telephone interview, "Another way you can think of it is how wind causes a
windmill to spin, or if you blow on a pinwheel it starts spinning."

'VERY DYNAMIC'

The scientists calculated the expected strength of the YORP effect on the
asteroids. These estimates essentially matched their measurements of the two
asteroids' spin changes over a period of years.

"It really shows that the solar system is a very dynamic place and the Sun
-- our star -- affects all worlds, not just Earth, not just the planets but
even the smallest rocks orbiting the Sun," Taylor said.

Using large telescopes and radar facilities, the scientists watched as the
spin of near-Earth asteroid 2000 PH5, the smaller one, increased by 1
millisecond per year. Its orbit takes it inside and outside Earth's orbit,
and it has come as close to our planet as five times the distance to the
moon.

"It is relatively small, and so more susceptible to the YORP effect. Also,
it rotates very fast, with one day on the asteroid lasting just over 12
Earth minutes, implying that the YORP effect may have been acting on it for
some time," Lowry said.

"Eventually it may spin faster than any known asteroid in the solar system,"
Lowry said.

Lowry said the YORP effect plays a role in changing asteroid orbits in the
crowded Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter, including moving them to
planet-crossing orbits.

Kaasalainen said the increasing rotation speed of asteroid 1862 Apollo, the
bigger one, probably will break it apart due to centrifugal forces. Noting
the asteroid already has a small moonlet, he said it might have broken apart
a bit already.

The researchers said the spin of this asteroid in the past 40 years has
accelerated so much that it has an extra rotation per orbit around the Sun.

Old March 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:19:53 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

On 8/03/07 23:56, in article ,
[...]

Uh. No. The momentum is inversely proportional to lambda, the
wave length of the photon, and therefore is directly proportional
to the frequency.

Not all photons are equal
in that sense, they change their momentum according to
frequency. However each photon possesses one unit of angular
momentum regardless of frequency.

You mean they have an intrinsic "spin" of one, which may be up or
down. It's a bit misleading to call this "angular momentum".
However, an "orbiting" electron has a quantized angular momentum.