What 's a Zip Tie / Cable Cord and why use?

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Dick Morrison

Default What 's a Zip Tie / Cable Cord and why use?

We keep reading about using a zip tie or a cable cord to secure
luggage when you travel. My three questions a (1) What are these
items? Is a cable cord the same as a "bungie" cord (I know what that
is!)? A zipe tie? (2) How exactly is a cable cord or zip tie useful?
and (3) where do you buy them? Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Rich Cacace

The cable ties that are being refereed to are non reusable plastic ties that
are used to temporarily seal off your bags so it can be seen if anyone has
cut them & looked through your luggage. To me, it only provides a faults
sense of security about you bag being opened. #1 rule is not to put
anything in your checked luggage that you wouldn't want to lose - That's
want a carry on is for. Most hardware stores carry them. Also available at
Kmart. The bungie cords being talked about are heavy elastic cords used to
strap luggage together.

m...

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Mike Cordelli

You may know them as wire ties.

See
http://www.musicsupply.com/PageMill_Images/ctie.jpg
for a drawing

They serve the purpose of sealing something, and they can't usually be
removed without cutting them (unless you buy the resalable ones).

They are useful because instead of popping your locks, the security people
can cut the tie, look in your bag, and put another tie back on. It gives
some people a sense of security that their bag is a bit more difficult to
open.

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM
PTRAVEL

No one else has mentioned it, so I will. As an alternative to zip ties,
there are now regular lockable locks that are "approved" by TSA. They are
combination locks, but have a place for a key. TSA has master keys and can
unlock these if they want to look in your bags; of course, they will re-lock
them when they're through.

Right now the locks are on the expensive side, but they're a better
alternative to plastic ties. I bought a few at Brookstone, 2 for $20.
However, particularly for international travel, or travel where your bags
will be handled by strangers (like cruising), I prefer the security they
provide.

We just used these on two trips to Europe (one to Italy, the other to Spain)
and they worked great. Our various US-based airlines were, at first,
reluctant to check our bags in locked (they hadn't heard of these new TSA
locks), but after some explanation they took them. No problems at all with
security, and on the European end our bags, were, of course, locked.

. com...

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Mike Cordelli

And if the European people need to look in your bags they will break the
locks. They are screening bags too.

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
D Ball

Note that there was a discussion about the Brookstone TSA-approved locks on
Cruise Critic within the past few weeks. It appears not all airport security
folks have been equipped with the master keys...the end of the story for
that frustrated traveler, IIRC, was that Brookstone refunded the money for
what proved to be a lock broken by security.

As an aside, I don't really undertsand the desire to lock luggage. I keep
my jewelry and other valuables in my hand carry bags, as everyone should
do w/ items that a lost baggage claim recovery could never replace. What
are y'all stowing in your checked luggage that is more precious than a perfectly
fitted bra, which I think most ladies will agree is worth its weight in gold?

Diana Ball---- Maybe I'm not packing the right stuff?!
near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

NCL Sea - W. Carib - Holidays 99
RCI Explorer - E. Carib - Holidays 00
RCI Rhapsody - W. Carib - Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
NCL Star - Hawaii - June 02
Dawn Princess - Alaska - July 02
Star Princess - Mex Riviera - Holidays 02
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic 08/03 (maiden voyage)
RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Mike Cordelli

Personally I don't see it to make the bags secure and keep somebody out, if
they want in it's so easy to get in as has been discussed in many news
stories, way before all this security stuff.

But often times securing the zipper is a move to keep it from coming open
during handling, and many latches on hard cases are only securely closed
when they are locked.

I see it as a way to keep the bag closed, not to keep people out.

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:08 PM
PTRAVEL

"D Ball" wrote in message

Note that there was a discussion about the Brookstone TSA-approved locks

on
Cruise Critic within the past few weeks. It appears not all airport

security
folks have been equipped with the master keys...the end of the story for
that frustrated traveler, IIRC, was that Brookstone refunded the money for
what proved to be a lock broken by security.

As an aside, I don't really undertsand the desire to lock luggage. I keep
my jewelry and other valuables in my hand carry bags, as everyone should
do w/ items that a lost baggage claim recovery could never replace.

What
are y'all stowing in your checked luggage that is more precious than a

perfectly
fitted bra, which I think most ladies will agree is worth its weight in

gold?

My wife's clothes are expensive -- replacing them would cost many multiples
of maxium liability that the airlines have for lost or destroyed bags. I
travel with a fairly expensive ($500+) tripod, as well as some clothes that
would be quite expensive to replace (one good suit or, when we travel over
New Years, a tuxedo).

And, of course, when we return, our bags are filled with all of our overseas
purchases (usually, we wind up buying a cheap bag just to bring the stuff
back).

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
PTRAVEL

Oh, great. I didn't know that. Do you know if it's specific countries, or
is throughout the EU?

news