Does anybody know about caves close to Granada (Spain)?

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Lugaddon

Default Does anybody know about caves close to Granada (Spain)?

Hi everybody,

I was told that either in or close to the city of Granada there are
some natural caves. In these caves there would be a happy lot of
people sharing them as flats; most of them would be street performers
and artists (jugglers, walking acts, musicians and the like) from all
over Europe who earn their living with their daily performances in the
city.

Does anybody know more about these caves? I would really appreciate
any sort of hint.

Many thanks
Lugaddon
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Jordi

Lugaddon wrote:
Hi everybody,

I was told that either in or close to the city of Granada there are
some natural caves. In these caves there would be a happy lot of
people sharing them as flats; most of them would be street performers
and artists (jugglers, walking acts, musicians and the like) from all
over Europe who earn their living with their daily performances in

the
city.

Don't know about those particular ones, but there are many villages in
the area in which there are still people living in caves.

Many have been adequated and turned into caves for rent, www.cuevas.org
is the website for a few of them, but there are many more.

At least you don't need air conditioning inside in summer

J.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM

You are probably thinking of the gypsy caves just to the North-East of
the city centre.

Google "Sacromonte", "cuevas gitanas" and "Granada" for a bunch of
info.

Nick

Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Nige

Have a look at http://www.andalucia.com/guadix/home.htm

Guadix is a few miles east of Granada city.

Actually in Granada city, up in Sacromonte, which is opposite the Alhambra
on the other side of the river, is where there are some caves and are used
for Flamenco shows and for housing by the locals who I believe are mainly
'gitanos' although this is possibily no longer the case.
http://granadainfo.com/canastera/cdesacroen.htm

om...