Visa electron in the USA?

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Ray

Default Visa electron in the USA?

does anyone know if I will be able to use my UK based visa electron debit
card in the USA? It's purely Visa electron - no maestro/cirrus sign on it.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:39 PM

Ray wrote:
does anyone know if I will be able to use my UK based visa electron

debit
card in the USA? It's purely Visa electron - no maestro/cirrus sign

on it.

Be suprising if it did have a maestro/cirrus logo, they are rival
schemes.

http://international.visa.com/ps/products/electron/

'Visa member financial institutions issue Visa Electron in Africa,
Asia, the Caribbean, Central and South America, Europe, Mexico, and the
Middle East. Neither US nor Canadian financial institutions issue Visa
Electron, but Visa Electron cards are accepted at electronic merchants
and ATMs in the US and Canada.'

Peter

Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Alex

At 15:02:44 on 02/03/2005, Ray delighted uk.finance by announcing:

does anyone know if I will be able to use my UK based visa electron debit
card in the USA? It's purely Visa electron - no maestro/cirrus sign on it.

That's hardly surprising seeings as they're run by VISA's main competitor ;-)
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Bert Hyman

djhatukpcdotnet (Ray) wrote in
:

does anyone know if I will be able to use my UK based visa electron
debit card in the USA? It's purely Visa electron - no
maestro/cirrus sign on it.

Visa's network is called "Plus"; the Maestro/Cirrus thing is Master
Card.

My ordinary Visa credit card doesn't have any network logo either; my
bank's ATM card has the Maestro & Cirrus logos on it.

Looking at the US Visa "ATM Locator" web site, all the local ATM
machines show that they accept "Visa Electron" cards. That's not
proof, but a good indication that your card will work for purchases
too.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Bert Hyman

(Bert Hyman) wrote in
:

Looking at the US Visa "ATM Locator" web site, all the local ATM
machines show that they accept "Visa Electron" cards. That's not
proof, but a good indication that your card will work for purchases
too.

Well, here you go:

http://international.visa.com/ps/products/electron/

"Neither US nor Canadian financial institutions issue Visa Electron,
but Visa Electron cards are accepted at electronic merchants and ATMs
in the US and Canada."

And "electronic merchants" are defined as "merchants who have
electronic terminals" .

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |