Bus or tran more scenic

Old March 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

Default Bus or tran more scenic

We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is the
better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

Old March 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:00:25 -0000, "Derek F"
wrote:

We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is the
better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

If you can find a bus service that follows the coast for
either leg - take it.

I have no idea of their quality - but this one sounds OK
with quite a few options; possibly a bit pricey for your
needs http://www.waywardbus.com.au/

Compared to the Express buses, I prefer the train route from
Melbourne to Sydney - more scenic, goes through more inland
towns on a more pleasant route. Most of the Express buses
basically follow the Hume Highway, possibly via Canberra. As
most of that is dual lane freeway you see very little apart
from the road and a few small towns between Albury and
Tarcutta.

The most scenic of the major rail routes IMO is the
Sydney-Brisbane one.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

Thank you, I had found Wayward Bus when looking at Kangaroo Island tours.
Sounds like the train is the best bet, unfortunately all the world over the
busses miss the views. In America we found it impossible to get a bus that
took in Big Sur and Hearst Castle.
Derek.

Old March 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:25:26 -0000, "Derek F"
wrote:

Thank you, I had found Wayward Bus when looking at Kangaroo Island tours.
Sounds like the train is the best bet, unfortunately all the world over the
busses miss the views. In America we found it impossible to get a bus that
took in Big Sur and Hearst Castle.
Derek.

A few links that may help:
Melbourne-Brisbane:
http://www.countrylink.info/travel_p...discovery_pass
NSW Rail Map (note that the thin lines are bus links)
http://www.countrylink.info/__data/a...nk_network.pdf
Adelaide-Melbourne
http://www.trainways.com.au/our-trai...post-aug-1.php

I must admit to being unimpressed by Hearst Castle - but the
occasional towns and villages along Big Sur were
interesting.

If you manage to visit the Great Ocean Road - or much of the
NSW coastal areas - you'll understand why I was a little
disappointed in Big Sur as a spectacle.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

"Derek F" wrote in message
We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is the
better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

Hire a car. Trains and busses get you from point "a" to point "b"; the only
scenery you will probably see is that on the direct route, rushing past at
100 kms per hour. With a car, you can stop where and when you like, and
actually see the scenery up close and stationary.

They are both ****-easy drives. Mostly dual carriage-way, so its not like
the driving on the left is even an issue. Once you get out of the city
(which is pretty easy for both cities), you aren't likely to get lost.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...

"Derek F" wrote in message
We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is the
better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

Hire a car. Trains and busses get you from point "a" to point "b"; the
only scenery you will probably see is that on the direct route, rushing
past at 100 kms per hour. With a car, you can stop where and when you
like, and actually see the scenery up close and stationary.

They are both ****-easy drives. Mostly dual carriage-way, so its not like
the driving on the left is even an issue. Once you get out of the city
(which is pretty easy for both cities), you aren't likely to get lost.

Problem, I don't drive !
Derek.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Reece

"Derek F" wrote in
:

We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is
the better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

How long do you have for the trip?

Both the bus and the train go from Adelaide to Melbourne via an inland
route which is, to be frank, boring. I used to do it regularly when the
train was overnight, and that was the best way G

The most scenic way is along the coast, and particulary the last 1/4 along
the Great Ocean Road. All of this can be done by scheduled bus, but
unfortunately the connections are rotten and you would have to stay
overnight at both Mt Gambier and Warrnambool.

Personally, I would fly !

I wanted, but never got around to trying the Melbourne - Canberra via
Bairnsdale route (V/Line). This might be interesting - I don't know!

HTH

R.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 4 Mar 2007 09:52:44 +1100, Reece
wrote:

"Derek F" wrote in
:

We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is
the better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

How long do you have for the trip?

Both the bus and the train go from Adelaide to Melbourne via an inland
route which is, to be frank, boring. I used to do it regularly when the
train was overnight, and that was the best way G

The most scenic way is along the coast, and particulary the last 1/4 along
the Great Ocean Road. All of this can be done by scheduled bus, but
unfortunately the connections are rotten and you would have to stay
overnight at both Mt Gambier and Warrnambool.

Actually, I don't see that as a hardship if there's time. Mt
Gambier is interesting and includes the Blue Lake, and
Warrnambool is a lovely seaside town with lots to do at the
beaches, an interesting maritime museum and a cheese factory
well worth a visit just out of town.

If going by that route, other stops at towns like Portland,
Port Fairy, Lorne etc may be worthwhile. It may also be
possible to include some SA towns like Beachport.

Personally, I would fly !

If you like to see airports; the view of SA/Vic from the air
is hardly as spectacular as the Coorong or the GOR.

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Derek F

"Reece" wrote in message
4.228...
"Derek F" wrote in
:

We will be travelling from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Which is
the better trip for scenery ?
Derek.

How long do you have for the trip?

Both the bus and the train go from Adelaide to Melbourne via an inland
route which is, to be frank, boring. I used to do it regularly when the
train was overnight, and that was the best way G

The most scenic way is along the coast, and particulary the last 1/4 along
the Great Ocean Road. All of this can be done by scheduled bus, but
unfortunately the connections are rotten and you would have to stay
overnight at both Mt Gambier and Warrnambool.

Personally, I would fly !

I wanted, but never got around to trying the Melbourne - Canberra via
Bairnsdale route (V/Line). This might be interesting - I don't know!

HTH

R.

Don't mind the overnight stops..... must go, leaving today !
Thanks
Derek.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
quietguy

....and if you do hire a car, be sure and take the coast road from Melbourne to
Sydney - it is a loverly drive with lots to see on the way

David - who often drives the Hume highway between Sydney and Melb and knows
how boring it is