Pronunciation of Chartres

Old February 15th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Ellie C

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

[]

American English has some confusion along these lines. The word "mister"
is "mistah" in Southern American English due to "r" dropout. However
the "r" is not forever lost because people from Boston will pronounce
"Cuba" as "Cube-r". The "r" merely appears in another word!

Bostonians are compensating for all the words they drop the 'r' from-
e.g. cAAh, pAAk, and hAAv'd.

In truth, we only add the "r" at the end when the word is followed by a
word starting with a vowel. So "Cuber is a great place." but "Cuba can't
be on my list of vacation places because Ï'm an American." How come no
one makes fun of Brits when they say "cAAh, pAAk, hAAv'd"?
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

Bostonians are compensating for all the words they drop the 'r' from-
e.g. cAAh, pAAk, and hAAv'd.

They are simply following the non-rhotic pattern of "intrusive 'r,'"
which is shared by the British. In the non-rhotic British pronunciation
of southern England and in RP, meter is pronounced "mee-tuh" (the 'r' is
dropped), but idea is pronounced "eye-dee-er," inserting an 'r' that
doesn't exist (the "instrusive 'r'").

Old February 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Mxsmanic

Ellie C writes:

How come no one makes fun of Brits when they say "cAAh, pAAk, hAAv'd"?

Some people do.

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Edmund Lewis

This British intrusive 'r' only occurs, however, if the following word
starts with a vowel. Hence you hear 'the idear of it...' with an r, but
'the idea being..' without. Also, words like 'car' and 'mister' have
the r pronounced under the same circumstances.

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Ellie C wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

[]

American English has some confusion along these lines. The word "mister"
is "mistah" in Southern American English due to "r" dropout. However
the "r" is not forever lost because people from Boston will pronounce
"Cuba" as "Cube-r". The "r" merely appears in another word!

Bostonians are compensating for all the words they drop the 'r' from-
e.g. cAAh, pAAk, and hAAv'd.

In truth, we only add the "r" at the end when the word is followed by a
word starting with a vowel. So "Cuber is a great place." but "Cuba can't
be on my list of vacation places because Ï'm an American." How come no
one makes fun of Brits when they say "cAAh, pAAk, hAAv'd"?

Well, probably because it's more common, and not as pronounced IMO.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Earl Evleth typed:

American English has some confusion along these lines. The word
"mister" is "mistah" in Southern American English due to "r"
dropout.

It's not just American English.

Speakers of English can be divided into two categories: rhotic
(those who say "mister") and non-rhotic (those who say "mistah").

In the US, most speakers in the south and on the east coast are
non-rhotic. The rest of the country is rhotic.

In the UK, most speakers are non-rhotic. Scotland and Ireland are
mostly rhotic.

However
the "r" is not forever lost because people from Boston will
pronounce
"Cuba" as "Cube-r". The "r" merely appears in another word!

And that's not just in Boston, nor is it always used by
non-rhotic speakers. This is called the "intrusive 'r.' " It's
used by some, not all, non-rhotic speakers, in Boston as well as
the rest of the places where non-rhotic speech is common. But
it's not always used in a word like "Cuba." It's used only when
the word is followed by another word beginning with a vowel. So
someone who uses the intrusive "r" would say "Cube-r is an
island," and "Cuba has good cigars."

Some non-rhotic speakers also use what's called a "linking 'r.' "
They normally omit pronouncing the "r" at the end of a word, but
do pronounce it if the word is followed by another begininning
with a vowel. So they would say "Mistah Smith," and "Mister
Edwards."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

Bostonians are compensating for all the words they drop the 'r' from-
e.g. cAAh, pAAk, and hAAv'd.

They are simply following the non-rhotic pattern of "intrusive 'r,'"
which is shared by the British.

Oh, you don't say?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Tom

Wow, all of this because I asked how to pronounce Chartres. Glad I did
not ask for a full blown discussion of the French vs. English
languages.

Tom

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:51 AM
jcoulter

"Tom" wrote in news:1108513146.620443.202280
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Wow, all of this because I asked how to pronounce Chartres. Glad I did
not ask for a full blown discussion of the French vs. English
languages.

Tom

actually much of the insanity in English is because of the French silent e
Franch. the r added only with a vowel, can you say elision?
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Mxsmanic

Edmund Lewis writes:

This British intrusive 'r' only occurs, however, if the following word
starts with a vowel. Hence you hear 'the idear of it...' with an r, but
'the idea being..' without. Also, words like 'car' and 'mister' have
the r pronounced under the same circumstances.

The fact remains that non-rhotic British speakers don't pronounce most
of the r's that they see, and occasionally pronounce r's that they don't
see. It's very strange.