Washington DC

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:19 AM
weehopper weehopper is offline
Member

Post Washington DC

Hello all,
I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here are my questions?
which month is the best to visit?
what are your top ten suggestions of things to do in the city?
all suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance for your replies.
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Washington DC

"weehopper" wrote:
I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here
are my questions?
which month is the best to visit?
what are your top ten suggestions of things to do in the city?
all suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance for your
replies.

April - Cherry blossom season at the Tidal Basin. Of course,
its also a crowded month, so maybe May for a few less people.
You can find 10 or more just walking the Mall, but my 2 cents:
1. Tour the major museums. My short list --
Air & Space Museum on the Mall and at Dulles.
National Gallery of Art and nearby National Archives.
Museum of Natural History.
Museum of American History.
2. Stop at the Monuments. My short list --
Washington Monument, and Lincoln & Jefferson Memorials.
3. Walk thru the WW II, Korean, Vietnam Memorials.
4. Tour Capital Hill -- The Capitol, Supreme Court, etc.
5. A short NPS-run boatride on the C&O Canal in Georgetown.
6. Take in a show at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
7. Do an excursion to Washington's home, Mount Vernon.
8. Wander the National Zoo, National Aquarium or
U.S. Botanic Gardens.
9. Tour the U.S. Naval Observatory (by resv. on alt. Mondays)
or the Treasury's Bureau of Engraving&Printing (weekdays).
10. Stop in Arlington Cemetery for the Kennedy's Eternal Flame
and the view from Robert E. Lee's house.

9.

10.

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"weehopper" wrote:

I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here
are my questions?
which month is the best to visit?

I would suggest late September/early October - still nice and warm so
you can walk the Mall, etc. but before the school trips start and things
are not too crowded with bus loads of kids. [not that I don't like
kids, but 2 at a time is my speed]

--

Seinfeld Lists
http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym

LOST - ScreenSnaps & Sawyer's Nicknames
http://tinyurl.com/a2r2r
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

weehopper wrote:
Hello all,
I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here are my
questions?
which month is the best to visit?
what are your top ten suggestions of things to do in the city?
all suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance for your replies.

Much more than 10 things to do, but I'd certainly suggest taking in a
concert at the Kennedy Center.

--
weehopper

Old November 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
weehopper wrote:

Hello all,
I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here are my
questions?
which month is the best to visit?
what are your top ten suggestions of things to do in the city?
all suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance for your replies.

Visit when its most convenient for you.

Some of my favorite things to do in Washington DC a

in no particular order of importance

1) American History Museum.

2) The Air & Space Museum

3) The monuments (Lincoln, Washington, Jefference, etc.) during the
day and night.

4) Strolling around Georgetown

5) Hiking along the river.

6) Visiting Union Station

7) White House tour

8) Visit the Capitol Building

9) National Archives

10) Take a ride out to Mount Vernon.
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Avoid the summer months! The government essentially shuts down because
everyone who can has left town. It can be deadly hot. Spring or autumn are
better choices.

Bob Gardner

Old November 18th, 2005, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
weehopper wrote:

Hello all,
I get to spend one week in Washington D.C. next year. So here are my
questions?
which month is the best to visit?
what are your top ten suggestions of things to do in the city?
all suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance for your replies.

Visit when its most convenient for you.

But if you have a choice, you'll probably have a much better
time if you avoid peak visiting times, which include the weeks
around Easter and summer when school is out. July and
especially August can be extremely hot and humid, which may
not be a big deal if you're from a hot climate yourself, but if
you're not, you may wilt. During peak times, hotels will cost
more and the museums will be very crowded.

I'd recommend October.

Old November 19th, 2005, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

JA wrote:
I'd recommend October.

Me too. I visited then and there were very few lines or crowds - no
school trips in early Oct. too.

Old November 19th, 2005, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:13:59 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:

6) Visiting Union Station

Just curious -- what do you find interesting there?

-- Larry

Old November 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:43:30 -0800, "Bob Gardner" wrote:

Avoid the summer months! The government essentially shuts down because
everyone who can has left town.

Huh? Most government agencies have a heavier than usual workload in summer
because of the approaching end of the fiscal year. Government workers take about
the same distribution of vacation time as everyone else. The biggest difference
in DC's summer is that the kids are out of school, and thus rush hour traffic is
a bit lighter. It's not like the August exodus from Paris.

It can be deadly hot.

Milder than, say, Atlanta. Only July and August are actually hot, and that's a
relative term.

Spring or autumn are better choices.

Agreed, simply because there are too many visitors all summer already. 8

-- Larry