SMF - DEN on UA. Worth an upgrade?

Old October 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default SMF - DEN on UA. Worth an upgrade?

I'm flying economy from Sacramento - Denver on United. Question is,
does upgrading to Business Class on this short flight garner me a
decent meal? I usually fly through ORD which does include a meal in
Business. I'm not sure about the Denver flights. I would be much
obliged for any clues.

- JBR

Old October 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

For such a short flight,(approx 2 hours)
Why worry about a meal.??
Save upgrading for longer flights.
The best bet in my experiences would be to upgrade to Economy Plus.
Its nice on United that way.
Most airlines nowadays have eliminated hot meal service on flights
under 4-5 hours.

Old October 26th, 2006, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_1_]

wrote in message
ps.com...

For such a short flight,(approx 2 hours)
Why worry about a meal.??
Save upgrading for longer flights.
The best bet in my experiences would be to upgrade to Economy Plus.
Its nice on United that way.
Most airlines nowadays have eliminated hot meal service on flights
under 4-5 hours.

Really? Or are you referring only to the USA?

JohnT

Old October 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_10_]

JohnT wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

For such a short flight,(approx 2 hours)
Why worry about a meal.??
Save upgrading for longer flights.
The best bet in my experiences would be to upgrade to Economy Plus.
Its nice on United that way.
Most airlines nowadays have eliminated hot meal service on flights
under 4-5 hours.

Really? Or are you referring only to the USA?

You beat me to it! "most airlines", huh?!

On the flight from Canberra to Sydney, they insist on feeding you. The damn
plane reaches "cruising altitude" and immediately commences descent. The
meal is usually unheated, but if you fly to Melbourne, which is only about
15 minutes longer, you are often bothered with something heated. And flights
any longer (say, like, a whole HOUR) have full meal service.

US domestics are like a greyhound bus, with someone wearing a tray flogging
chips and soft drinks.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old October 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

DEN is full of good restaurants. there's a wolfgang puck's there, if i
recall correctly. why not just eat dinner, or get something to go at
DEN? that will surely be much less than the cost of an upgrade.

Quark

wrote:
I connect to a flight to DCA which arrives at 11:00 pm. If
I fly economy without packing my own dinner then I get
to fast until the next morning. Even a salad and bread would
tide me over.

Old October 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Auzerais .

DEN is full of good restaurants. there's a
wolfgang puck's there, if i recall correctly.
why not just eat dinner, or get something to
go at DEN? that will surely be much less
than the cost of an upgrade.

**********Try it some time. We tried to eat at DEN
during a stop over and all the places were so
packed we had to eat at some crummy bar.
Puck's was over flowing. They have a very
serious capacity issue at meal time.

Just like that old quip about Sardi's in Manhattan:
"Nobody eats there anymore. It's too crowded".

Old October 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Yes referring to US Airlines flying within the 50 states.
I sometimes forget that Google Groups has such an widespread
international reach .
The original post stated that it was a Sacramento to Denver flight.
I never once made the assumption that it would be the same in Australia
of all places.
Most of the American Branded Airlines (agian flying within the USA)
have been in such turmoil financially since 9/11 that they have
dramatically scaled back any amenity of the past.
From No Pillows, no food service no blankets, no headphones. etc

Many US Branded airlines SELL you blankets and pillows(again within the
USA routes)
They also sell you snacks and some food items (ditto)
Maybe the Non USA branded airlines service is better (couldnt be
worse),
but most USBranded airline food is, well to say it bluntly Crap!
yet we all complain if we dont get any.
A fickle country are we.........dontcha think?

PRO