Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

Old June 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

Default Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

"Brian" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:19:09 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

If you are on a morning or mid day flight I
would expect to be rerouted on the same day.

tim

There have been a number of articles recently about the reduction in
the number of flights which leads to a higher load factor and more
difficulty in being accomodated on another flight.

You also seem to be making the assumption that there are many flights
to a particular destination available. That would not always be true.

But there is liklely to be an alternative flight to a destination
that is more suitable than spending 24 hours in an airport
waiting for a flight.

timn

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:48:27 +0100 "tim....."
wrote:

:But there is liklely to be an alternative flight to a destination
:that is more suitable than spending 24 hours in an airport
:waiting for a flight.

A lot of people don't think of alternatives.

Obviously if you are trying to get to point B and there are weather issues,
you have less options. Perhaps get somewhere around (= some hours of driving)
the destination and do a one way rental.

But if you are merely going thru B to C, there are other options. I was
recently stuck on a ORD-EWR flight (which went back to the gate several
times) because of NY area weather.

There was someone continuing on to AMS. I suggested that they try to reroute
via Detroit (a KLM hub) but they didn't bother, choosing to complain that they
will be stuck for a day.

I had another TLV option that night (which would have been the next flight
anywhere in the US or CA) so I stayed the course.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old June 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling, checking
in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well be more
restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi ride?

That's well and fine if you're a business person carrying a laptop.....but
not everyone does. Sad to say, there are still plenty of people who can't
use a computer at that level, even if they find Laptop Lane (or whatever
it's called). Think of a lower or middle class family with kids -- mom and
dad don't know those options, even if they could use the computer. And the
kids may be computer savvy, but unless they are teenagers, they won't know
how to use airline sites to their advantage.

It's especially bad at holidays, when families have scraped up just enough
money for four tickets to go see grandma. There's no budget for cabs or
hotels.

Sarah

Old June 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Sarah Banick wrote:
Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling,
checking in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well
be more restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi
ride?

That's well and fine if you're a business person carrying a
laptop.....but not everyone does.

Most cell phones today provide some degree of Web access. You don't
need a laptop.

Sad to say, there are still plenty
of people who can't use a computer at that level, even if they find
Laptop Lane (or whatever it's called). Think of a lower or middle
class family with kids -- mom and dad don't know those options, even
if they could use the computer. And the kids may be computer savvy,
but unless they are teenagers, they won't know how to use airline
sites to their advantage.

It's especially bad at holidays, when families have scraped up just
enough money for four tickets to go see grandma. There's no budget
for cabs or hotels.

If they're travelling on a budget with that small a cushion then they're
sticking their necks way out regardless.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Sarah Banick wrote:
Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling,
checking in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well
be more restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi
ride?

That's well and fine if you're a business person carrying a
laptop.....but not everyone does.

Most cell phones today provide some degree of Web access. You don't
need a laptop.

No, just a bloody big mortgage.

tim

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

Sarah Banick wrote:

It's especially bad at holidays, when families have scraped up just enough
money for four tickets to go see grandma. There's no budget for cabs or
hotels.

Unless they got stuck while trying to catch a connecting flight, the
usual solution to this problem is just to go back to grandma's house and
stay over an extra night.

- Peter
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message Peter
Lawrence wrote:

Sarah Banick wrote:

It's especially bad at holidays, when families have scraped up just enough
money for four tickets to go see grandma. There's no budget for cabs or
hotels.

Unless they got stuck while trying to catch a connecting flight, the
usual solution to this problem is just to go back to grandma's house and
stay over an extra night.

Unless you're a three hour drive from grandma's house at that point.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Richard[_2_]

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
. net...

I always wonder why in this day when almost everyone travels
with a cell phone, why many people will stand in long lines to
rebook a flight at the ticket counter. Just phone the airline's toll-
free 800 number to rebook.

If you're travelling then there's a good chance that you're roaming and your
cell provider is going to rape you on airtime charges even if you call a
tollfree number.

Richard

Old June 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

tim..... wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Sarah Banick wrote:
Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at
the airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling,
checking in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well
be more restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi
ride?

That's well and fine if you're a business person carrying a
laptop.....but not everyone does.

Most cell phones today provide some degree of Web access. You don't
need a laptop.

No, just a bloody big mortgage.

???? Maybe where you live one needs a "bloody big mortgage" to have a
cell phone, but in the US they are well within the means of teenagers
working summer jobs.

Old June 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Icono Clast wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
A hundred bucks? Perhaps, plus a taxi to and from hotel getting
at a location you have no idea where is or whether there's a
room available.

In 1876 Alexander Graham Bell invented a device called the
"telephone". Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with
it.

What good would that do?

Allow you to determine if there is a room available and to obtain
directions of course, so that you would no longer "have no idea where it
is or whether there's a room available".

If someone in a place strange t'me tells me
where something is, it's meaningless. In another forum we're venting
our rage over hotels who claim to be where they're not thus
defrauding travellers who know no better.

Uh, how would a hotel that is not where it claims to be "defraud
travellers"? I don't know about you, but if I go to where the hotel
claims to be and there's no hotel there then they're going to lose my
business.

I do. I check everything so I don't have to carry anything thus
giving me the same freedom of movement I have at home.

Including your cell phone and credit cards apparently,.

You have a vivid imagination and strange fantasies.

You're the one who seems incapable of contacting a place of lodging.