San Francisco Chinese restaurant recommendation?

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Default San Francisco Chinese restaurant recommendation?

Our family, all adults, a party of 6 will be looking for a nice,
middle-of-the-road priced Chinese restaurant in San Francisco next week.
Any suggestions in the Chinatown area?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 5, 3:27 am, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:
Our family, all adults, a party of 6 will be looking for a nice,
middle-of-the-road priced Chinese restaurant in San Francisco next week.
Any suggestions in the Chinatown area?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma

Try Great Eastern in Chinatown.

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Our family, all adults, a party of 6 will be looking for a nice,
middle-of-the-road priced Chinese restaurant in San Francisco next week.
Any suggestions in the Chinatown area?

Thanks,

If you are not experience at this, be careful.
We ordered "interesting" dishs. Some of it wasn't particularly edible.
It was crowded with Chinese, so I presume it was a good restaurant...

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:

Our family, all adults, a party of 6 will be looking for a nice,
middle-of-the-road priced Chinese restaurant in San Francisco next week.
Any suggestions in the Chinatown area?

Thanks,

Mike

For restaurant reviews in most major cities, check out
http://www.chowhound.com
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jay Wye[_2_]

House of Nanking at Jackson/Kearney.-- As recommended by the "Lonely Planet"
and by me. Great food, interesting people and good prices.
Oh, and if you want a fantastic hamburger, try Mo's near Grant/Vallejo.
Another recommended by the duo!!

Old July 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

I couldn't agree more. I have been going there for years since it
opened. Say hello to Peter Fang the owner. Routinely churns out
great Nanking cuisine, unique in itself

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:14:20 +0100, "Jay Wye"
wrote:

House of Nanking at Jackson/Kearney.-- As recommended by the "Lonely Planet"
and by me. Great food, interesting people and good prices.
Oh, and if you want a fantastic hamburger, try Mo's near Grant/Vallejo.
Another recommended by the duo!!

Old July 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

How many San Franciscans do you find recommending or eating at House
of Nanking? How many Asians do you see eating there? Immeditely next
door is Chef Jia's, better food at a lower price and no waiting.

On the "Don't-miss sights" page at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
are links to two trust-worthy restaurant review sites.

Other favorites of mine are Yee's Restaurant on Grant opposite Jack
Kerouac, the Great Eastern on Jackson just below Grant, and on Jackson
near Kearny Home's Hunan Restaurant. Yee's is very inexpensive and
family-oriented. The Great Eastern specializes in seafood.

Old July 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

John Kulp wrote:

I don't know about Jia's because I haven't eaten there and I haven't
had to wait at the House of Nanking. But, if you did, why would
everyone be waiting if it's no good?

Some mediocre restaurants can have long waits. Especially those that
were ONCE very good but have gone downhill. Also in tourist areas of a
city, like San Francisco's Chinatown or Fisherman's Wharf, there can be
scores of restaurants that are crowded with long waits but serve food
that at best is mediocre in quality.

I'm not saying that House of Nanking is such a place (I have never eaten
there), but it could be. Restaurants with long waits aren't a reliable
sign of quality.

- Peter

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Peter Lawrence wrote:
I'm not saying that House of Nanking is such a place (I have never eaten
there), but it could be. Restaurants with long waits aren't a reliable
sign of quality.

So, "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."? (yogism)

Thanks all for the advice. Heading to San Francisco/San Jose for a
family wedding this weekend.