Yosemite questions

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Yosemite questions

Deciding on a time in the next month or so. ( Like it as the snows
melting - falls etc rather than mid-summer)
We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ? I didn't see it
mentioned on bus loop, so " Things to do from there in season? " (didn;t
see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to "link up"
with the activities ?

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much difference
? Anyone done the ' Nature Photo tour" - ( morning ) or others listed in
this months flyer ?
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt08-03.pdf
I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky for
star-gazing - true ?
We'd like to be there for those types of strolls but probably can't have
snow AND a nice walk at night

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I clicked on " Live Webcams" and it brings me to:
http://yosemite.org/vryos/
the cameras there are not live. they are black - dated Feb 21 or so...
any other links you know of to see live pix /conditions ?

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth visiting
?
Especially if only just a drive-thru to see scenic views/ waterfalls.
How much time to allow ? Where to stay for those ?

Thanks very much for any input.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Go Fig

In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

Deciding on a time in the next month or so. ( Like it as the snows
melting - falls etc rather than mid-summer)

Good time to go, this is what it looked like in the first week of June
last year:

http://web.mac.com/gofig/Public/Yosemite_Valley.html

We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ?

Needs some upkeep, but it is outside of the valley... isn't that
enough....

A quick look at the reservations portal shows the possibilities are
very limited for staying in the Valley during that time.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Reservations.aspx

But at this point I highly recommend calling them and if your times are
flexible just ask them to get you in the valley somewhere...
anywhere...a non heated tent cabin at Curry is much better than
Wawona... as much as an hour drive to the valley.

Call them NOW; Reservations: (801) 559-4884*

I didn't see it
mentioned on bus loop, so " Things to do from there in season? " (didn;t
see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to "link up"
with the activities ?

There is probably a shuttle or two a day to the valley... but check
with the hotel directly.

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much difference
? Anyone done the ' Nature Photo tour" - ( morning ) or others listed in
this months flyer ?
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt08-03.pdf
I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky for
star-gazing - true ?

Yup, go to Glacier Point an hour before sunset... awesome.

We'd like to be there for those types of strolls but probably can't have
snow AND a nice walk at night

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I clicked on " Live Webcams" and it brings me to:
http://yosemite.org/vryos/
the cameras there are not live. they are black - dated Feb 21 or so...
any other links you know of to see live pix /conditions ?

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth visiting
?
Especially if only just a drive-thru to see scenic views/ waterfalls.

If Tioga is open, then go on to Mono Lake and Mammoth or up to Tahoe.

How much time to allow ? Where to stay for those ?

Thanks very much for any input.

STAY IN THE PARK ! If your plans include a Sunday, make reservation
for the Ahwahnee Sunday Brunch... but do it today.

Have a good trip.

jay
Thu Apr 03, 2008

Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

[...]

I'm gonna be there before the entire park is open so "not in the valley"
is OK. Just looking for a place to sleep, then the next day do the loop in
front of El Capitan, Half-Dome, Falls then out. ( I've been there before -
always before the entire park is open, so I've always stayed outside the
park ( Tenaya Lodge) ) I thought we'd just drive-by as we have only a few
weeks for entire trip. ) I DID go to yose website for reservations and
cannot find a MAP showing me where the different lodging options are, so I
can't tell locations of different options. It's gotta be a room with bath
( not tent / shared bath), so would you recommend Curry Village for
low/moderate option ? The RESERVATIONS scetion of the site gives brief
descriptions/prices but not where it is located.

I didn't see it mentioned on bus loop, so
" Things to do from there in season? " (didn;t
see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge
to "link up" with the activities ?

There is probably a shuttle or two a day to the valley...
but check with the hotel directly.

OK will do as time gets near/ their schedule more defined. If not an early
bus, then would use my as to not waste hours waiting for the bus.

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much
difference
? Anyone done the ' Nature Photo tour" - ( morning ) or others listed
in
this months flyer ?
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt08-03.pdf
I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky for
star-gazing - true ?

Yup, go to Glacier Point an hour before sunset... awesome.

Will do , thanks. (- if Glacier Point Road is open by then)

We'd like to be there for those types of strolls but probably can't
have
snow AND a nice walk at night

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I clicked on " Live Webcams" and it brings me to:
http://yosemite.org/vryos/
the cameras there are not live. they are black - dated Feb 21 or so...
any other links you know of to see live pix /conditions ?

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth
visiting
?
Especially if only just a drive-thru to see scenic views/ waterfalls.

If Tioga is open, then go on to Mono Lake and Mammoth or up to Tahoe.

I'm assuming that only east/south entrances ( 41,120,130) will be open ,
but could start at Lake Tahoe. We've never been there - good idea. How's
this look ?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,11.008301&z=7

STAY IN THE PARK ! If your plans include a Sunday, make reservation
for the Ahwahnee Sunday Brunch... but do it today.

Have a good trip.

jay
Thu Apr 03, 2008

The dates / itinerary are not solid yet but will do as soon as we get
plane tickets, etc
Thanks for your advice.
Bobb

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Go Fig

In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

[...]

Yes, its a nice place w/ many families but the options are more
rudimentary than others. Last year, at the last moment, I was able to
pick up a cabin at Curry that had a private bath. ,, no doubt a
cancellation.

Your other options are 'Housekeeping Camp', which is next to the Merced
River (#356, 359,362 and 377 being on the water)- these are tent
cabins.

Then there is the Yosemite Lodge (at the Falls), these are your options
for budget rooms in the valley.

[...]

Generally late May.

jay
Thu Apr 03, 2008

We'd like to be there for those types of strolls but probably can't
have
snow AND a nice walk at night

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I clicked on " Live Webcams" and it brings me to:
http://yosemite.org/vryos/
the cameras there are not live. they are black - dated Feb 21 or so...
any other links you know of to see live pix /conditions ?

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth
visiting
?
Especially if only just a drive-thru to see scenic views/ waterfalls.

If Tioga is open, then go on to Mono Lake and Mammoth or up to Tahoe.

I'm assuming that only east/south entrances ( 41,120,130) will be open ,
but could start at Lake Tahoe. We've never been there - good idea. How's
this look ?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...e+tahoe ,+nv+
to:Yosemite+National+Park,+CA+(Yosemite+National+P ark)+to:750+Hearst+Castle+Rd,
+San+Simeon,+CA+93452+(Hearst+Castle+Historical+Mn mnt)+to:los+gatos,+ca+to:sjc
&mra=pi&mrcr=4&sll=37.448697,-120.860596&sspn=4.351604,7.404785&ie=UTF8&ll=37.
378888,-120.563965&spn=4.355658,11.008301&z=7

Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice

,

Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
- Bobb - wrote:
We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ? I didn't see it

Depends when.
It's commonly closed in the off season. They would refer you to the
Tenaya Lodge (which I've also had used for conference locations).
You should ask YCS when they plan to open it.

see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to "link up"
with the activities ?

Wawona used to get once or twice daily bus service.

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much difference

Wet. Muddy.

I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky for
star-gazing - true ?
We'd like to be there for those types of strolls but probably can't have
snow AND a nice walk at night

Not in the Valley. The walls are comparatively too steep.
The astro events with local club and things are held above the Valley in
summer at Glacier point.

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth visiting?

Well I think they are worth visiting, but that's a lot of driving.

Especially if only just a drive-thru to see scenic views/ waterfalls.
How much time to allow ? Where to stay for those ?

Kings Canyon doesn't open until about Glacier opens. It also depends if
there is road damage (which the NPS doesn't have lots of money to fix).
They don't quite the facilities or scenery as Yosemite. But I've not
been to my old Valley "home" in some number of months.

Old April 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

- Bobb - wrote:
Deciding on a time in the next month or so. ( Like it as the snows
melting - falls etc rather than mid-summer)
We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ? I didn't see it
mentioned on bus loop, so " Things to do from there in season? " (didn;t
see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to "link up"
with the activities ?

The Wawona is very far from Yosemite Valley. There isn't a lot to do or
see around there, other than the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

Glacier Point Road won't be open to vehicles yet, though you can
probably still XC ski on it, but you'll need your own skis as the rental
shop won't be open that long. I just skied it last month, 22 miles round
trip to Glacier Point from Badger Pass Ski Area (where they stop plowing
Glacier Point Road).

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much
difference ?

It's been a cold Spring so far, but if you bundle up you'll be fine. I
wouldn't wait too long to go, as it begins to get crowded by May, and it
can be miserable to be in traffic jams in the valley.

OTOH, much of the park is inaccessible by vehicle in the winter, i.e.
Tioga Pass Road will be closed, as will Glacier Point Road.

Anyone done the ' Nature Photo tour" - ( morning ) or
others listed in this months flyer ?
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt08-03.pdf
I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky for
star-gazing - true ?

I would stay in the park because the road situation right now on 140 is
so bad that going in and out from a motel on the outside of the park
will be a hassle. While Yosemite Lodge & Cabins, and Curry Village
Cabins will win no awards for their design, they are sufficient. Also
consider a condo or house at Yosemite West, but remember that there are
no stores around there, so you have to bring your food.

"http://www.scenicwonders.com/"
"http://www.yosemitewest.com/"

You go into the park to get to this area, but it's technically outside
the park boundary. I just stayed in a house there last month.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I clicked on " Live Webcams" and it brings me to:
http://yosemite.org/vryos/
the cameras there are not live. they are black - dated Feb 21 or so...
any other links you know of to see live pix /conditions ?

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth
visiting ?

No, not near enough. Sequoia and Kings Canyon are probably about a two
hour drive from the south entrance (which is about a one hour drive from
Yosemite Valley).

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
Deciding on a time in the next month or so. ( Like it as the snows
melting - falls etc rather than mid-summer)
We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ? I didn't see it
mentioned on bus loop, so " Things to do from there in season? "
(didn;t see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to
"link up" with the activities ?

The Wawona is very far from Yosemite Valley. There isn't a lot to do or
see around there, other than the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

Thanks for the info. As for too far ... in the past we've stayed at Tenaya
Lodge and LOVE it, but I saw online that Wawona has rooms in the next
month for cheap money , so that's the only reason I'm asking. I figured
for $300 I wouldn;t stay there , but for $70 it would still be less
driving that entering from Tenaya.

Glacier Point Road won't be open to vehicles yet, though you can
probably still XC ski on it, but you'll need your own skis as the rental
shop won't be open that long. I just skied it last month, 22 miles round
trip to Glacier Point from Badger Pass Ski Area (where they stop plowing
Glacier Point Road).

For those that have done it, how about the "Strolls" for April - too
cool/cold in evening - would going a few weeks later make much
difference ?

It's been a cold Spring so far, but if you bundle up you'll be fine. I
wouldn't wait too long to go, as it begins to get crowded by May, and it
can be miserable to be in traffic jams in the valley.

Great. Yeah we go there in late spring to avoid the crowds. Sometime I'll
have to get out there in summer to see it all, but generally we get away
( from New England) in winter as spring and summer are fine here. Since I
saw a few airfare deals and Wawona sale I was thinking ... maybe one more
trip this winter.

[...]

Ok, that's fine.... another time.... we'll make a south loop back to San
Jose via Big Sur. Using Google maps, we plan on taking 41 south out of
park all the way - to the Rt 1 coastal route north... is that " the way to
go" ?

Thanks again.

Old April 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

- Bobb - wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
Deciding on a time in the next month or so. ( Like it as the snows
melting - falls etc rather than mid-summer)
We're thinking of Wawona Hotel - any feedback on it ? I didn't see it
mentioned on bus loop, so " Things to do from there in season? "
(didn;t see anything online), or have to take car to main lodge to
"link up" with the activities ?

The Wawona is very far from Yosemite Valley. There isn't a lot to do
or see around there, other than the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

Thanks for the info. As for too far ... in the past we've stayed at
Tenaya Lodge and LOVE it, but I saw online that Wawona has rooms in the
next month for cheap money , so that's the only reason I'm asking. I
figured for $300 I wouldn;t stay there , but for $70 it would still be
less driving that entering from Tenaya.

It will be slightly less driving (about 15 minutes less). It will still
take you about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the speed of the
traffic) to get into Yosemite Valley from Wawona.

The Wawona is an old fashion, historic hotel so it won't be anything
like the Tenaya Lodge. Staying there is like going back in time (which
isn't necessarily a bad thing, IMHO). Its rooms tend to be small and of
course have no air conditioning (not that you would need it in April).

But if you like to golf, they do have a golf course just across the road
from the hotel. The Wawona is very much like an old New England country
inn. As long you don't expect modern rooms or amenities, you should be
fine staying there. Note, I don't think there's any regularly scheduled
bus service from Wawona to Yosemite Valley so you'll have to drive to
the valley by car.

Anyone done the ' Nature Photo tour" - ( morning ) or
others listed in this months flyer ?
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt08-03.pdf

Yes, I've done it. It's nice, informative, and it's free. But there's
limited space (only 15 people I think) so you'll need to sign up for it
in advance (usually one to three days before) at the Ansel Adams Gallery
to reserve a spot. I think (but I'm not positive) that you can reserve
a spot on the photo walk over the phone by calling the Ansel Adams
Gallery directly at (209)372-4413.

I was thinking that staying in the park would get great view of sky
for star-gazing - true ?

If the moon isn't out, it's o.k. in the valley but you'll view will be
limited by the cliffs walls. OTOH, at Wawona you'll probably have a very
nice view, especially if you walk out to the golf course.

Before/after visit there, are any of the other nearby parks worth
visiting ?

No, not near enough. Sequoia and Kings Canyon are probably about a two
hour drive from the south entrance (which is about a one hour drive
from Yosemite Valley).

Ok, that's fine.... another time.... we'll make a south loop back to San
Jose via Big Sur. Using Google maps, we plan on taking 41 south out of
park all the way - to the Rt 1 coastal route north... is that " the way
to go" ?

It's one way to go. The drive on Hwy 41 from south of Oakhurst to U.S.
101 won't be very scenic though, but once you reach Morro Bay and Hwy 1
the drive should be very nice. If you haven't been there already, I
would recommend that you take a tour of Hearst Castle. It's located
just north of Cambria on Hwy 1.

http://www.hearstcastle.com/

- Peter
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

- Bobb - wrote:

Will do , thanks. (- if Glacier Point Road is open by then)

Last year it opened on May 4th, but last year was a low-snow year. It
was still snowing in Yosemite last week.