Engine Noise and Seating

Old October 9th, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Default Engine Noise and Seating

Tchiowa wrote:

I don't know the Korean Air configuration but you'd have to be
*behind* the engines for noise to be a problem.

Nonsense. Have you ever sat anywhere near the back of an MD80?
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Nobody

mrtravel wrote:
Nonsense. Have you ever sat anywhere near the back of an MD80?

Nowhere near as bad as seating in the back of a pesky F28 with two very
loud noise makers next to both your ears.
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:33:50 -0500, "TMOliver"
wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
.. .

mrtravel wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

I don't know the Korean Air configuration but you'd have to be
*behind* the engines for noise to be a problem.

Nonsense. Have you ever sat anywhere near the back of an MD80?

None of the jets I've flown come anywhere near a Super Connie.

Those 3350 TurboCompounds could resonate.....

Not to mention those supersonic propellor tips.

Old October 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Ad absurdum per aspera

Nonsense. Have you ever sat anywhere near the back of an MD80?

None of the jets I've flown come anywhere near a Super Connie.

Those 3350 TurboCompounds could resonate.....

Not to mention those supersonic propellor tips.

Too young to have experienced the Constellation or Super Connie from
the inside, me; but a recent flight on one of Northwest's more
venerable DC-9's, in a seat so close to the port engine that it didn't
even have a window, made me glad that noise cancelling headphones have
come down in price.

I don't recall the rear seats in those planes as having been at all
bad when they were newer, but maybe I was just more enthralled with
the other experiences of flight and didn't mind the noise.

I'd bet that distance of engine noise in *most* of the cabin was
considered an advantage by the DC-9's designers, back in the late
50s-60s heyday of rear mounted engines. Probably still is, since (for
other reasons as well) it is the location of choice for business jets
and regional jets.

One model of those turboprop puddle jumpers used by the commuter
airlines had a giant exhaust pipe on the inboard side of each engine.
This caused people in certain seats, like mine, to wonder why they
didn't just rent a car in LA and drive to Santa Barbara. I don't
recall the type, and that was in the mid 80s so presumably they've
thought better of the layout by now.

--Joe

Old November 6th, 2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
K J

Nobody wrote:
mrtravel wrote:
Nonsense. Have you ever sat anywhere near the back of an MD80?

Nowhere near as bad as seating in the back of a pesky F28 with two very
loud noise makers next to both your ears.

The F28 is so loud on takeoff you might think the rear door is open.