Why is Poutine so rare in Canada?

Old December 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Default Why is Poutine so rare in Canada?

Prue's Doux wrote:

Funny how I can find donair, a Turkish dish (called 'gyro' by the
Greeks), in every Canadian city but not poutine.

That's not funny. It makes perfect sense. Donairs / Gyros are a heck of a
lot tastier and a lot more popular than poutine. Besides, there are a lot
of Greeks in the restaurant business.
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:32:49 -0500, sechumlib

On 2007-11-29 17:07:41 -0500, Alan S said:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:55:35 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

I would dispute the words "good poutine". As someone just said
it's "heart attack central" and even worse than Dutch French
Fries with mayonnaise (IMHO of course).

I live in an area with a lot of French Canadians and the city closest to me
has an area with a few restaurants that serve poutine. A lot of people
really like it. I confess that I have never tried it. That is just too much
fat and grease for me to enjoy. I can handle a few chips, or gravy or
cheese, but not all three together.

It's not the fat and grease that were my problem, but the
carbs in the chips and gravy. So it's an all-purpose
poison:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Well, Alan, as a fellow traveler in diabetes I can confess to you that
I've eaten it! Only once, though, and believe it or not, it worked out
OK. I don't think I'll do a repeat, since I didn't find it that
irresistible. But it was a worthwhile one-time experience.

Did you test an hour later? :-)

I put it on a par with the meal I saw ordered in a
fish-and-chip shop near Stirling in Scotland. A large bread
roll, similar to a 6" sub, sliced and filled to overflowing
with chips(fries) and slathered with thick, hot, brown
gravy.

I declined and just had the fish.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 15:25:17 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

Prue's Doux wrote:

Funny how I can find donair, a Turkish dish (called 'gyro' by the
Greeks), in every Canadian city but not poutine.

That's not funny. It makes perfect sense. Donairs / Gyros are a heck of a
lot tastier and a lot more popular than poutine. Besides, there are a lot
of Greeks in the restaurant business.

They are as ubiquitous as Pizza. Many different names around
the world, shawarma, kebab, souvlaki, doner kebab, kebap,
gyros (without the bread), all similar products and most are
a healthy lunch.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Kay Lancaster

I recall seeing it offered at a McDonald's drive-through near Victoria a
few years ago (husband required an immediate caffeine fix and spotted the
McDuck's sign). I wasn't courageous enough to try it -- though I love
cheese, and can tolerate the occasional fried potato.

Kay

Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Prue's Doux wrote:
In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times & never found
one place serving poutine. For my last trip to Vancouver, I
researched the internet for over a month & found only one place in all
that city offering poutine - Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438
Commercial Drive. But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't
find Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack. Why is
poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin? That's like going
to a dozen places in the US & not finding one place that serves hot
dogs.

try Quebec were they started

but Ontario and east you will find lots of places
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Smiles wrote:

In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times & never found
one place serving poutine. For my last trip to Vancouver, I
researched the internet for over a month & found only one place in all
that city offering poutine - Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438
Commercial Drive. But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't
find Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack. Why is
poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin? That's like going
to a dozen places in the US & not finding one place that serves hot
dogs.

try Quebec were they started

but Ontario and east you will find lots of places

I live on southern Ontario, and I would not say that you can find it in a
lot of places here. I live near a city with a significant French
population and it is available in some of the restaurants in the French
section of town, but very rare elsewhere.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Prue's Doux wrote:
In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times & never found
one place serving poutine. For my last trip to Vancouver, I
researched the internet for over a month & found only one place in all
that city offering poutine - Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438
Commercial Drive. But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't
find Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack. Why is
poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin? That's like going
to a dozen places in the US & not finding one place that serves hot
dogs.

The Costco snack bar in Calgary has poutine. I don't know about
Vancouver's Costco. They also had pastrami sandwiches called "Montreal
Beef" sandwich.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Smiles wrote:

[...]

Saw it on menus quite a bit in NS.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

SMS wrote on Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:31:46 -0800:

S Prue's Doux wrote:
?? In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times &
?? never found one place serving poutine. For my last trip
?? to Vancouver, I researched the internet for over a month &
?? found only one place in all that city offering poutine -
?? Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438 Commercial Drive.
?? But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't find
?? Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack.
?? Why is poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin?
?? That's like going to a dozen places in the US & not
?? finding one place that serves hot dogs.

S The Costco snack bar in Calgary has poutine. I don't know
S about Vancouver's Costco. They also had pastrami sandwiches
S called "Montreal Beef" sandwich.

As a matter of interest, without further comment, the French
form of the name of the Russian Prime Minister is "Poutine"! See
for example Le Figaro.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

James Silverton wrote:
SMS wrote on Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:31:46 -0800:

As a matter of interest, without further comment, the French
form of the name of the Russian Prime Minister is "Poutine"!
See for example Le Figaro.

I thought that he was still president?

I could have got Putin's exact title wrong :-) I've never sorted
out the Russian "constitution" but, unlike the Canadian "food",
M. Poutine is far from bland and fatty.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland