Why is Poutine so rare in Canada?

Old December 5th, 2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike from Ottawa[_2_]

Default Why is Poutine so rare in Canada?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:37:58 -0800 (PST), "Prue's Doux"
wrote:

In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times & never found
one place serving poutine. For my last trip to Vancouver, I
researched the internet for over a month & found only one place in all
that city offering poutine - Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438
Commercial Drive. But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't
find Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack. Why is
poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin? That's like going
to a dozen places in the US & not finding one place that serves hot
dogs.

I'm in Ottawa, and you can find it from chip wagons on almost every
street corner downtown. At least from the ones who haven't scurried
down to Florida for the winter.

BTW, I love poutine, with real cheese curds, and I toss on some
ketchup. Not too damn good for you, but what the hell...

Old December 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan Pollock

James Silverton wrote:
"RickCanada" wrote in message
I think the only place that you can get good poutine is either
in
Quebec or some places in Northern Ontario.

I would dispute the words "good poutine". As someone just said
it's "heart attack central" and even worse than Dutch French
Fries with mayonnaise (IMHO of course).

But at least the Dutch "patate met mayo" tastes good. Nex
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

sechumlib wrote on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:43:12 -0500:
So does poutine. Trust me!

The last two words are well known to always have the opposite
effect :-)

?? James Silverton wrote:
?? "RickCanada" wrote in message
??
?? I think the only place that you can get good poutine is
?? either in Quebec or some places in Northern Ontario.
??
?? I would dispute the words "good poutine". As someone just
?? said it's "heart attack central" and even worse than
?? Dutch French Fries with mayonnaise (IMHO of course).
??
?? But at least the Dutch "patate met mayo" tastes good. Nex

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old December 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Prue's Doux

On Dec 1, 5:58 am, sechumlib wrote:

Looking for poutine in Vancouver is probably analogous to looking for
hushpuppies in Seattle.

I live in Seattle & have eaten hushpuppies here & see it on several
menus around this area, as well as Boston clam chowder & Texas chili.
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan Pollock

On 2007-12-10 08:37:44 -0500, Alan Pollock said:
James Silverton wrote:
"RickCanada" wrote in message
I think the only place that you can get good poutine is either
in
Quebec or some places in Northern Ontario.

I would dispute the words "good poutine". As someone just said
it's "heart attack central" and even worse than Dutch French
Fries with mayonnaise (IMHO of course).

But at least the Dutch "patate met mayo" tastes good. Nex

So does poutine. Trust me!

I've eaten it, and much prefer its venerable old ancestor the patate-sauce,
unencumbered by frivolous dairy products. Sometimes three's a crowd, and those
gawd-awful curds in poutine make for a dog's breakfast if you ask me.
Ecoeurant. Of course there's no accounting for taste, so I guess we're both
right. Nex
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gabby

wrote:
In the past 20 years, I've been to Canada about 19 times & never found
one place serving poutine. For my last trip to Vancouver, I
researched the internet for over a month & found only one place in all
that city offering poutine - Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill at 1438
Commercial Drive. But when I got to 1438 Commercial Drive, I didn't
find Stormin' Norman's Spirit Grill but Vera' Burger Shack. Why is
poutine so rare in the cournty of its own origin? That's like going
to a dozen places in the US & not finding one place that serves hot
dogs.

I'm in Ottawa, and you can find it from chip wagons on almost every
street corner downtown. At least from the ones who haven't scurried
down to Florida for the winter.

BTW, I love poutine, with real cheese curds, and I toss on some
ketchup. Not too damn good for you, but what the hell...

Heck, even in Labrador you can get poutine. Personally, I shudder to
even think about the mess, seeing it makes me gag.
French fries were meant to be crisp, not gooey.

Gabby
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
coach

On Dec 13, 3:10 pm, "Prue's Doux" wrote:
On Dec 1, 5:58 am, sechumlib wrote:

Looking for poutine in Vancouver is probably analogous to looking for
hushpuppies in Seattle.

I live in Seattle & have eaten hushpuppies here & see it on several
menus around this area, as well as Boston clam chowder & Texas chili.

The best poutine in Ontario can be found in Penetangishene on Georgian
Bay at the diner by the Docks. This is a wonderful franco-Ontarian
community in an area of Georgian Bay first settled by the French early
in the 1600's
see http://www.400eleven.com/penetanguishene.html
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Gabby wrote on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 04:18:24 -0800 (PST):

G Heck, even in Labrador you can get poutine. Personally, I
G shudder to even think about the mess, seeing it makes me
G gag. French fries were meant to be crisp, not gooey.

That's your opinion, with which I agree, but it's not a
universal taste. I wonder how many times I've had "gravy" poured
over them in the UK?

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

James Silverton wrote:

Gabby wrote on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 04:18:24 -0800 (PST):

G Heck, even in Labrador you can get poutine. Personally, I
G shudder to even think about the mess, seeing it makes me
G gag. French fries were meant to be crisp, not gooey.

That's your opinion, with which I agree, but it's not a
universal taste. I wonder how many times I've had "gravy" poured
over them in the UK?

The best thing about having using leftover roast beef to make a hot beef
sandwich is the beef gravy on the fries.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Dave Smith" "adavid,smith wrote:
James Silverton wrote:

Gabby wrote on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 04:18:24 -0800 (PST):

Heck, even in Labrador you can get poutine. Personally, I
shudder to even think about the mess, seeing it makes me
gag. French fries were meant to be crisp, not gooey.

That's your opinion, with which I agree, but it's not a
universal taste. I wonder how many times I've had "gravy" poured
over them in the UK?

The best thing about having using leftover roast beef to make a hot
beef sandwich is the beef gravy on the fries.

Ever have gravy on a hamburger, with the gravy on _top_ of the bun?
Actually wasn't as bad as it looked, but it did not look at all
appealing.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)