Cape Town - Convenient areas?

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Ann B.

Default Cape Town - Convenient areas?

I'm planning an independant trip to South Africa in November, with a
week in Cape Town. Wondering if areas such as Sea Point & Bantry Bay
are close to the V & A Waterfront and other sights in the city, and if
there is public transport to use since I won't be renting a car. Any
recommendations for convenient, safe areas to stay appreciated.
Thanks!
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Catherine Milton

Hi Ann,

Sea Point is fairly close to the Waterfront, but Bantry Bay is a little far.
The other sights in the city are further away again, as they are on the
other side of the Waterfront from Seapoint.

There is a very cheap form of transport, called Rikki's, which operates (I
think) between 7am and 7pm. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere with them,
as it could be a short trip, or it could be a long one. I used to drive for
them. Whatever, it should be a fun one! There are buses that run between
Seapoint and town, but they don't always go to the tourist destinations.
Taxis are available - there are local 'minibus' taxis, but I'd suggest you
use the metered ones. With the metered taxis you are able to bargain for a
fixed price, if you are worried they may take you for a ride.

Cape Town is reasonably safe, as long as you exercise caution: don't wear
obvious jewellery that can be snatched. Don't walk alone at night. DON'T
think the street kids are cute - they are mostly on glue, and unpredictable.
Can't think of any more don'ts right now.

Will you be backpacking? How old are you? Where you'd be happiest staying
depends on these things. Anything I can do to help you, I will.

Catherine
==Not nuts, just a little eccentric==
www.africanbush.co.za
African Bush Tours and Safaris

Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
Ann B.

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for the advice. I'm really ambivalent about whether or not to
go. I'm in my 50's but have travelled alone extensively. That said,
SA just seems like it's not a place to visit unless you have a car. So
Capetown would be fine, but I don't want to travel so far (from the
US) not to see some of the other wonderful sounding areas. I don't
want to drive on the left and alone, so will probably head somewhere
that's got more of a transportation infrastructure.

Aprreciate your response.

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:06:04 +0200, "Catherine Milton"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old October 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Catherine Milton

Ann,

There is also a cross-country service, besides the usual bus service, called
the Baz Bus. They pick up and drop off at the various backpackers across
the country. This would probably be the best bet for someone in your
situation. Your accommodation could always be at a better establishment,
but the routes do take you to all sorts of out of the way places - into the
Drakensburg, etc. I must find out for myself exactly what routes they take.

I wouldn't recommend backpackers accommodation myself - especially not FOR
myself - but there are plenty of cheaper accommodations like guesthouses all
over the country. I have an extensive database.

A couple of years ago I did a one-on-one tour with a young man from US, and
charged a lower rate as I combined it with doing my own exploring for
business. I hired a very small car, and we 'slummed it'. It was absolutely
great, as we went into Lesotho and Swaziland too. I could always try to
work something like that out for you, or if there was someone else who
wanted to travel along, it would at least half the cost of the transport.

If you are interested, let me know. And if there's anyone else interested
in joining us, they could also let me know.

Don't give up on South Africa's more remote areas just yet!

Catherine
==Not nuts, just a little eccentric==
www.africanbush.co.za
African Bush Tours and Safaris
P O Box 232, Rouxville, 9958, South Africa
Tel (+27) 051 663-0170 or Mobile (+27) 082 490-5485

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old October 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Ann B.

Catherine,
Thanks for the suggestions and your offer. At this time I decided not
to visit SA. Perhaps another time.

Regards,
Ann

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:05:33 +0200, "Catherine Milton"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .