Accommodation winelands South Africa

Old April 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Accommodation winelands South Africa

Hello just thought I'd pass on a lovely find in case you want to have a real
chillout un-Johannesburgish holiday!

ALMONDBURY - a roomy Victorian guest house on a farm.
Animal lovers - there is everything here, even a ram with his sheepish
wives, 3 magnificent siamese who belong to Wilbur Smith's estranged daughter
(many of her fascinating sculptures in the house), a flock of geese who were
strangely quiet and a border collie who herded them constantly with a mad
glint in its eye. The lanky smokey-grey great Dane is called Squirrel!
Each time the hen lays an egg the cockerspaniel sings! Varied bird life,
flocks of long-tailed mousebirds, weavers, drongas and many I couldn't
identify.
A magnificent escape for city kids who think that wild life is the pigeon
flying inside the mall.

The owner of the property, Ming cooks like a dream - we stayed on and had
Sunday lunch - three choices from the menu while you nibble homemade brown
bread and butter. Starter, main course and dessert, coffee and superb
friendises (mini brandy snaps were addictive) -
R75 per head. Wine - bring your own (no corkage) we chose a very pleasant
Robertson red from their cellar for R28. I had a halved avo filled with
smoked salmon and trout in a superb dressing and Sean had Simonzola soup
(creamy cheesey) and our friends had Roasted Aubergine salad with chick
peas. Of the 3 Main courses we chose rare beef fillet and mini Yorkshire
puds (after hearing our cries of delight more puds were brought poste haste)
and GOOD gravy, roasted cauliflower, broccol,i courgettes, carrots and
peppers and there were about 6 desserts.

The atmosphere is haute casual and the conservatory dining room also boasts
a 'pantry' - there were plump potted cherries in brandy, bottled peaches and
jams made on the farm - sold out by the time we left!

Nothing is locked (that phenomena alone is worth a visit for Gautengers!)
and when we got 'home' at 3:30 am on Sunday night (Iwon't tell you what we
were doing!) the lights were kindly left on to find our rooms.

Double accommodation is R120 per person en suite and we were given a plunger
of coffee, homemade chocolate cake and most marvellous muesli crunchies on
the house when we arrived! This could really fall under the title - "Home
from home".

Outside lots of room to breathe and explore, lovely series of dam
reservoirs - I love to see an abundance of water! Nice walks along farm
paths with interesting chunks of white granite and straticulated rocks to
fascinate.

JOHN ROBINSON for further info at
website:
http://almondbury.150m.com
or telephone +27(0)23 626 4360

Dassieshoek Nature Reserve is right next door. An exquisite orthadox chapel
is hidden about 3 km's on - in a romantic vineyard setting and the
delightful benevolence of Father Zaccharias is found within. This would
make the most superb wedding venue and one could party forever at Almondbury
afterwards without disturbing anyone!

On the national road off Robertson we found - Affies se Plaastal - with some
fabulous Cape antiques amongst tasty pies and other edibles, an interesting
cheese fridge with surprisingly excellent local produce and all the craft
things you expect to find at craft markets nowadays but don't!
Bought an old grape picking basket - only R95! (had to fill in the antiques
register so it is real!) and those little egg cabinets, quilted tea cosy and
a tooled belt that was completely different from the usual fare - was
tempted by the smooth old wooden grape crushing screw, like a giant barley
twist - but where to put it? I live in a mousehole!

Nice steady rain here all weekend, all the barrels are full so it was good
to get away to the slightly warmer Robertson area.
Have a good week!
xEmile

Thank you again, John and Miles for your warm hospitality and the endless
cups of coffee, it was really good to get to know you and your wonderful
menagerie. If you get any enquiries from Johannesburg-ites (I sent this to
friends as well as some acquaintences at magazines where I contribute (or
used to) articles) you must enquire if they like non or smoking - some of my
friends are violently anti-tobacco - so be warned!
It was a great escape - felt as if we'd been away for ten days, we were so
relaxed Sean was late for work this morning!
Best wishes, Emile and Sean.