Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

On Jun 29, 1:09 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
This matches with what I experienced recently. I was on the ground
aboard a United passenger flight from Brazil to the USA and listening
to the onboard channel 9 ATC to kill time. Except for the United and a
Lufthansa pilot also awaiting clearance to taxi, every other pilot was
talking Portuguese. The controllers spoke perfect ATC English but
switched to Portuguese for the local pilots. I was thinking this could
easily lead to a lack of situational awareness in a large airport like
Sao Paulo's.

You're not supposed to require any communication with anyone other than ATC,
so if you need to hear other pilots on the frequency, there is a problem.

Boy are you clueless...

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 29, 11:18 am, K Baum wrote:
On Jun 29, 4:39 am, "El Maximo" wrote:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"

What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.
KB.

That's what I've seen in Mexico. I believe the rule is that ATC must
respond to you in the langauge you use during the call up (either the
native language of the country or English). I've though about using
Spanish but I've never done it. It is nice to speak Spanish because
that's the only way you know if ATC just cleared someone to land in
front of you.

-Robert

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 29, 12:09 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
This matches with what I experienced recently. I was on the ground
aboard a United passenger flight from Brazil to the USA and listening
to the onboard channel 9 ATC to kill time. Except for the United and a
Lufthansa pilot also awaiting clearance to taxi, every other pilot was
talking Portuguese. The controllers spoke perfect ATC English but
switched to Portuguese for the local pilots. I was thinking this could
easily lead to a lack of situational awareness in a large airport like
Sao Paulo's.

You're not supposed to require any communication with anyone other than ATC,
so if you need to hear other pilots on the frequency, there is a problem.

You should try flying some time. There is a difference between
"minimum requirements" and "useful information".

-Robert

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 29, 8:00 am, "Maxwell" wrote:
"El Maximo" wrote in message

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

If Won Wing Low had been the Father of Aviation, it could have been!

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because
you lost the bloody war."

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish in a
few years anyway.

Actually in my travels around the world on business I've never found a
country where I couldn't find an English speaker. All you need to do
is find someone under the age of 15. I would guess that 75% of the
world's population under the age of 15 speaks some English (especially
in Asia ,South America, and Europe).

-Robert

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Dallas writes:

About 1/4 of the Dallas cable TV channels are in Spanish.

As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is more to the
world outside of Dallas.

What a clueless twit.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
El Maximo writes:

Out of touch with current events?

No.

If you're travelling worldwide, the best language to know is English,
followed
by French.

For the first time, you have made me laugh. Thanks for that.

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dallas writes:

About 1/4 of the Dallas cable TV channels are in Spanish.

As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is more to
the
world outside of Dallas.

How about those 1040 instructions printed in Spanish, or did you forget to
file (again)?

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
JohnT[_3_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
El Maximo writes:

Out of touch with current events?

No.

If you're travelling worldwide, the best language to know is English,
followed
by French. Spanish would be in third place.

But you haven't been further than La Défense in the past 2 years except in
Flight Simulator.
--

JohnT

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
The other version I"ve heard was an American flight had just landed
and was read a really fast taxi clearance. Apparently the pilot didn't
respond quickly.
ATC: "What's wrong with you haven't you been here before"
Pilot: "Once in 1943 but I didn't stop"

The canonical version of that joke involves a BOAC flight, and the pilot
continued "and they weren't any friendlier then either."

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:08:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is more to the
world outside of Dallas.

Tell ya what...

Why don't you make a list of all the foreign countries you've been to and
I'll respond with a list of my own and we'll see who's got the widest world
view.

--
Dallas