Safest Places in the US?

Old April 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to alt.talk.weather,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Safest Places in the US?

On 4/8/06 9:02 PM John wrote:
I just wondered what states people would regard as being some of the
safest places to live in the USA?

When I say "safe" I mean the safest states from dangers such as
natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornados, Earthquakes, Floods, Wild
Fires, Grapefruit sized hailstones, Severe Weather etc, as well as
from crime, gangs and things like that?

If for example I wanted to live in the USA, I don't think it would be
a good idea for me to choose Arizona because I have skin that easily
burns. I also wouldn't want to choose somewhere like Maine or
Minnesota where it might be freezing a lot of the time.

I also just had a question about home construction in the US. Whenever
I see images on television of the damage from Tornados and Hurricanes
etc, a lot of the homes that have suffered damage or have been
completely destroyed, it seems that they are mainly constructed of
timber. I don't understand why so many homes in the US especially in
areas were you get a lot of Hurricanes and Tornados at certain times
of the year are constructed of timber. Surely it would be better if
they were constructed of something more solid like big stone?

I have been watching some of the devastation on the news in paces like
Tennessee from the recent tornados. I have also been in the middle of
a Hurricane (Fran) once when I was on holiday in the US and visiting
friends in North Carolina back in 1996 so have seen first hand the
damage that can be done. I have also witnessed massive hailstones that
fell in Pennsylvania when I worked there, and saw all the smashed
windscreens on cars afterwards.

I just wondered what the opinion is of people who work in the
construction industry. Would it help if homes were built of different
materials to timber?

I am also thinking there must be some type of material that can be
used to make car windscreens (windshields) that wouldn't smash if hit
by large hailstone? Maybe some sort of see through plastic/rubber that
the hailstone would just bounce off instead of smashing through? If we
can make bulletproof cars surely making a windscreen that doesn't
smash is also possible?

If you have any suggestions for some relatively safe states in the US
I would be very interested to know.

I am guessing that much of the south and south east can be ruled out
for the Hurricanes and the middle of the country for tornados. The
Western seaboard for the fault line. Places like Texas, Arizona,
Nevada, Southern California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida for the
heat. The North, NW and NE for the freezing temperatures, so that will
remove states like Alaska, Washington, Montana, N&S Dakota, Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Maine etc. See my rough map. I'm not
sure if I've done a good job of getting roughly the right areas for
the danger spots? http://tinyurl.com/nt3vm

What's left? Oregon? Hawaii?

John

Dude,

There's risks no matter where you live. In fact you could step off a
curb and die of a broken heart. Well not directly. First you'd have to
fall in love, then get dumped, then see him/her with another while
crossing a busy street...

Why don't you instead pick a place for its employment, singles quality
of life, arts and entertainment and decent affordable housing. 'cause
if God is gonna git ya' He's gonna git ya'.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to alt.talk.weather,rec.travel.usa-canada

USA Today had a piece on this this morning (April 20).

Evidently there is NO Place completely free of Natural disasters - Nevada is
the safest of them all.

Julie

Podcast Walking Tour of Washington DC
http://www.washingtontravelcast.com