Latest RCI cost cutting?

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Latest RCI cost cutting?

On 1/15/2009 1:09 AM Jean O'Boyle did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message

I glove up to cut chicken. I use a specific plexi cutting board and
wash it with Chlorox. If you've ever had salmonella, you'll know why.

Three people in our class have developed allergies to latex.

In addition to my pocket barrier mask, I usually have a pair of gloves
in the back pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing.
--
- dillon I am not invalid

I don't do the glove bit, but I Clorox both cutting boards all the
time...one plexi and the other glass..Also my sink and counters.
It is odd how many people are developing allergies to latex...My nursing
school class consisted of 28 members and none of us ever had that
problem...Wonder if they are using something different in their manufacture
now.
Dillon, are you studying to be an RN?

--Jean

I think that we in the US have become overly preoccupied with matters of
cleanliness and sanitation. Along with taking antibiotics at the drop of
a hat...we've weakened our natural immune responses. Now, understand, I
am not advocating going back to the time when lack of hygiene led to
outbreaks of cholera or plague. But, as I grew up the only thing my mom
cleaned cutting boards was soap and water. Vegetables and fruits were
washed off with cold running water to rinse off bug spray.

As a child, the only illnesses I had were those that had airborne
vectors, or the usual childhood diseases passed around amongst kids who
played together. These were not things you could catch from not
cleaning cutting boards, etc with liquid bleach. The only thing I use
bleach on is my white clothes, and underwear.

Since I am now my mom's right hand man when it comes to grocery shopping
and meal preparation, I wash my hands several times a day. As far as
stuff like Norovirus or other things that go around like the flu, I just
follow my doctor's practices at his office. In addition to washing my
hands several times a day, I always see to it that there's some fresh
air circulating in the house, or my car. I was told that an exchange of
fresh air every 15 minutes prevents many airborne diseases from
concentrating strong enough to infect.

Ok. The heating bill is higher than I'd like it. But, when everyone
around me had the flu, I didn't catch it. I haven't had a flu shot this
year nor any other year. Fresh air and clean hands, that's all that is
needed. Most of these anti-bacterial things that have become so popular
have alcohol in them. Use it enough and your hands dry out. They may
even get small cracks that are big enough to let the very germs take
hold that you are using the stuff to avoid! So it doesn't phase me in
the least that RCI or any other cruise line may be eliminating those
Purell or similar dispensers around the ship. Just wash your hands, and
avoid touching your eyes, ears, nose or mouth after touching things that
everyone has touched. This usually includes public restroom door knobs,
hand rails, and such.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
.. .

I glove up to cut chicken. I use a specific plexi cutting board and
wash it with Chlorox. If you've ever had salmonella, you'll know why.

Three people in our class have developed allergies to latex.

In addition to my pocket barrier mask, I usually have a pair of gloves
in the back pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing.
--
- dillon I am not invalid

I don't do the glove bit, but I Clorox both cutting boards all the
time...one plexi and the other glass..Also my sink and counters.

I have heard that wooden cutting boards are really more sanitary -
when they did studies they found less germs on the wooden boards.

Also I'm sure you know that Clorox has to remain on the surface for
several minutes before it kills all the organisms. Bleach is
inactivated by the presence of organic matter such as dirt, or blood,
so the surface has to be clean first.

It is odd how many people are developing allergies to latex...My nursing
school class consisted of 28 members and none of us ever had that
problem...Wonder if they are using something different in their manufacture
now.

It's just that latex is a sensitizer and we are using latex now for so
many more things. Food service workers are using latex gloves and I
don't remember them doing that when I was in my teens. If you have a
sensitizer around more of the time and more people, then more people
are going to get allergic. Latex should not be used unless it is
necessary. If you are using chemicals, latex doesn't protect against
all of them - you may need another type of glove.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message

I glove up to cut chicken. I use a specific plexi cutting board and
wash it with Chlorox. If you've ever had salmonella, you'll know why.

Three people in our class have developed allergies to latex.

In addition to my pocket barrier mask, I usually have a pair of gloves
in the back pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing.
--
- dillon I am not invalid

I don't do the glove bit, but I Clorox both cutting boards all the
time...one plexi and the other glass..Also my sink and counters.

I have heard that wooden cutting boards are really more sanitary -
when they did studies they found less germs on the wooden boards.

Yes, that is my understanding too. Also, plexiglass boards get "slices"
and scratches in the surface which harbor bacteria. I've seen glass
counter protectors but they're not intended for cutting on, nor would
anyone with decent knives want to? Horrible thing to do to a knife as
well as being "hard" on the hand/wrist of the cutter. Sort of like
dancing on cement versus a nice wood dance floor. It has no "give"

[...]

Yes, we seem to have people developing more allergies than ever. But
also, nurses back in Jean's younger days actually didn't wear gloves for
every little procedure.(yeah, gags me out too!) I work with nurses who
are in their 50's and they talk about how years ago it was considered
almost "insulting" to patients to glove up for many common tasks. It
implied the patient had "cooties" or something. Of course that has *all*
changed now (we KNOW they have cooties~ lol) and with each invasive
procedure or exposure it increases ones development of that latex
reaction. sigh Kids who've been hospitalized frequently from infancy
on up, as well as staff who are exposed so much are at higher risk.

Antibacterial soaps are overused in the average home environment, but in
a mass gathering such as a cruise ship- I want 'em! I can control a lot
of what I'm exposed to at home, and trust more the family I live with
and raised. But I sure as heck don't trust John Q. Public to wash his
hands before touching those salad tongs. Ugh.
Goomba (who makes mental note to take her own small Purell bottle with
her on her upcoming cruise)
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle"
:

[...]

Rad tech.

--Jean

--

- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.