Best Values in Asia

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Hail2_the_THIEF

Default Best Values in Asia

What Asian countries give the best value for the US dollar in
terms of the quality of lodging, food, etc? My guess is Thailand.
Like to hear about yours, positive or negative.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Miguel Cruz

Hail2_the_THIEF wrote:
What Asian countries give the best value for the US dollar in
terms of the quality of lodging, food, etc? My guess is Thailand.
Like to hear about yours, positive or negative.

In my experience, Indonesia followed closely by Vietnam.

miguel

Old May 12th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Louis-G-J

Thailand.

--
Louis-G-J

message de . 4...

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Mohamed the Raghead

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Hail2_the_THIEF wrote:
What Asian countries give the best value for the US dollar in
terms of the quality of lodging, food, etc? My guess is Thailand.
Like to hear about yours, positive or negative.

In my experience, Indonesia followed closely by Vietnam.

Indonesia is so cheap, youd think it was a third world country and
those regular currency collapses help no end. However, the Thailand is
cheap claim is less true if paying in US$. US$ has lost more than 10%,
so US$ accepting countries like Cambodia now seem cheaper.

Also many people discount the cost of anything if its in funny foreign
money. Therefore a 100 baht beer is claimed to cost less than a $2
beer because baht isnt real money... Well, its the wrong colour for
starters.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Philtix

Perhaps that money have to been taken into account when you prepare a trip
(it will not be the same budget for Scandinavia or Southeast Asia) but I
think that absolutely searching for 'the best value' is a bad deviance of
travels and shows a vision that is quite reductive. When we travel to third
world countries we have the benefit of the fact that ours currencies are
strong, it is good to participate to their development by spending time and
money there, but I think that we should always try to pay the 'real' price
of things, in order to help them and do not exploit them. This note is quite
linked to the concept of sustainability of to the equitable tade (it is
maybe true at the economic level or ecological as well) ....

It was just a note to remind that to pay few for a lot is good unless it is
fare and that there is not only money in life... But anyway enjoy your trip
in this wonderfull area of the world and keep smilling! :-)))

Phil

message de news: ...

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Miguel Cruz

Philtix wrote:
Perhaps that money have to been taken into account when you prepare a trip
(it will not be the same budget for Scandinavia or Southeast Asia) but I
think that absolutely searching for 'the best value' is a bad deviance of
travels and shows a vision that is quite reductive. When we travel to third
world countries we have the benefit of the fact that ours currencies are
strong, it is good to participate to their development by spending time and
money there, but I think that we should always try to pay the 'real' price
of things

What is the "real" price of something? Unless the government has forced them
to charge an artificially low amount, it seems like the generally accepted
price in the local market pretty much is the real price.

miguel
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Joop

I think that India would be the cheapest eventhough the dollar has gone down
in value lately (all over the world). In Goa a beer costs about 25 rupees
for a small bottle (about 60 dollarcents) and a good meal about 60 to 80
rupees (about 1,30 to 1,75 dollarcents)
"Hail2_the_THIEF" schreef in
bericht . 4...

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Jan

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:43:04 +0200, "Joop"
wrote:

I think that India would be the cheapest eventhough the dollar has gone

down
in value lately (all over the world). In Goa a beer costs about 25 rupees
for a small bottle (about 60 dollarcents) and a good meal about 60 to 80
rupees (about 1,30 to 1,75 dollarcents)

If we're going to measure things by beer prices, (and what better
yardstick to use?) then I'd suggest the Philippines is the best value
for money. A bottle of beer cost 14 Pesos in a store there, which is
about US$0.25. Even in a popular nightspot in Manila you it would only
cost around twice that much, so must it be one of the cheapest in
Asia.

ahh...maybe the cheapest. but the best beer in the world comes from Lao.
Beer lao, beautiful drink ( and I'm not usually a beer drinker) big big
bottle for about 50 pence.If only we could get in the UK.

Jan

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:57:51 +0100, "Jan"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think that India would be the cheapest eventhough the dollar has gone

down
in value lately (all over the world). In Goa a beer costs about 25 rupees
for a small bottle (about 60 dollarcents) and a good meal about 60 to 80
rupees (about 1,30 to 1,75 dollarcents)

If we're going to measure things by beer prices, (and what better
yardstick to use?) then I'd suggest the Philippines is the best value
for money. A bottle of beer cost 14 Pesos in a store there, which is
about US$0.25. Even in a popular nightspot in Manila you it would only
cost around twice that much, so must it be one of the cheapest in
Asia.

ahh...maybe the cheapest. but the best beer in the world comes from Lao.
Beer lao, beautiful drink ( and I'm not usually a beer drinker) big big
bottle for about 50 pence.If only we could get in the UK.

I couldn't disagree with that. Beer Lao is also widely available in
Thailand. Not to be confused with Beer Leo, which also sells there and
comes from the same brewers that produce Singha.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:26 AM

"Hail2_the_THIEF" wrote in message .4...
What Asian countries give the best value for the US dollar in
terms of the quality of lodging, food, etc? My guess is Thailand.
Like to hear about yours, positive or negative.

Thailand is a formidable candidate. Everything is cheap:
accommodation, food and inter city travelling. Roads are typically
very good so you get from one point to another with great ease.
However, all South East Asia is cheap and of good value. I have never
been to Laos nor Cambodia but many sources have suggested them being
very primitive hence quality of services can be poor place to place.