Famagusta as a daytrip from Larnaca

Old September 24th, 2016, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Famagusta as a daytrip from Larnaca

There just about 40km between the two cities, but can you just go in and
out (into Turkish Cyprus and back to Greek Cyprus) easily? We have
German passports and my wife holds a Malaysian passport.

How easy is it to cross borders with a rented car?

--
Alfred Molon
Old September 26th, 2016, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:39:43 +0200 schrieb Alfred Molon:

There just about 40km between the two cities, but can you just go in and
out (into Turkish Cyprus and back to Greek Cyprus) easily? We have
German passports and my wife holds a Malaysian passport.

About 10 years ago we crossed the border at the Ledra Palace Hotel in
Nikosia. We didn't go with a rent car, but crossed the border on foot. You
get a daytime visa at a container-office at the border, they put a piece of
paper in your passport, and when you return, they take it back out. Quite
easy. I don't know about the Malaysian passport though.
Don't do too much shopping on the turkish side (ltes are very cheap), as
the Greeks my want tax when you bring the stuff back.

If you enter with a car, you have to buy an insurance at the border (around
10 EUR a day). But back then, it was not allowed from the rental companies,
because it is unsure if the insurance pays for damages when you have an
accident on the turkish side. So if you cross with a rent-car you do it on
your own risk.

How easy is it to cross borders with a rented car?

Make sure to ask the rental-company first if they allow it. They probably
won't.

Alternatively hire a taxi on the northern side, back then you could get a
taxi for a whole day for something like 40 EUR. They wait right at the
border.

The Ledra-Palace-Hotel crossing by he way makes you feel like in a
war-zone. The houses have holes in them from gunshots, there are
blue-helmet soldiers with machine-guns on guard, lots of barbed-wire and
rubble. Feels like Beirut in the 80ies.

Regards,

Frank
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

In message , Frank
Hucklenbroich writes
[...]

Like Frank, I don't know about Malaysian passports, but with UK
passports about 18 months ago we walked across (easy, as Frank says) and
also drove across and spent a few days in the north: at the time, only
one car rental company allowed this, and yes, you had to buy additional
insurance. Check all the rental companies for current policies, but
definitely worth doing.

Good luck,

Sheila

--
---
Sheila Page
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 6:47:48 PM UTC+1, Sheila Page wrote:
In message , Frank
Hucklenbroich writes
[...]

We've simply holidayed on both sides of the border for several weeks at a time each, in order to 'do' both sides properly. No hardship!