Indonesia - New tourist visa restrictions and fees

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Larry

Default Indonesia - New tourist visa restrictions and fees

The threatened change in Indonesian visas was put into effect a few days ago.
Now, tourist visas are only for 30 days (non-extendable as before) and cost $25
(or $10 for less than three days' stay). Penalty for overstaying your visa is
$25 per day!

No new tourist visa available unless you have been out of the country two weeks
(formerrly just a few hours were enough).

The US State Department web site listing foreign entry requirements
(http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html) has not yet been updated and
contains a false link to the Indonesian Embassy in Washington. My Balinese
freind gave me this URL for information in English but I have not been able to
connect:

http://www.balidiscovery.com/message...ge.asp?Id=1721

Larry in Tanggayuda, Bali (sea otter 6 at aol dot com)
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Sjoerd

"Larry" schreef in bericht
[...]

Proper visa regulations can be found on:

www.indonesia.nl

Sjoerd

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:41 PM
EAC

(Larry) wrote in message ...
The threatened change in Indonesian visas was put into effect a few days ago.

Hmmm... "threatened"?

I sense hostility here.

Anyway. The new tourist visa law is only valid for citizens who came
from countries who required Indonesians to have visas visit to those
countries. Citizens from countries that don't require Indonesians to
have visas to visit those countries will be also allowed to visit
Indonesia without visas, those countries a

- Brunei

- Malaysia

- Philippines

- Singapore

- Thailand

- Vietnam

- Hong Kong

- Macao

- Morocco

- Chile

- Peru

So... May I congratulate you people, now you know on how Indonesians
feel like when they traveling to foreign countries.

Note: There are still the expensive exit by air tax (Rp. 1.000.000,00
/ around U$120) that valid both for locals and foreigners, I think
that you people should save the money for that rather than for the
visa.

The US State Department web site listing foreign entry requirements
(
http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html) has not yet been updated and
contains a false link to the Indonesian Embassy in Washington.

Hmmm... You might also want to try the following pages:

http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

http://travel.state.gov/indonesia.html

http://travel.state.gov/indonesia_warning.html

http://travel.state.gov/abduction_indonesia.html

http://travel.state.gov/wwc1.html

I think that visa fee is the least of all your worries.

Larry in Tanggayuda, Bali (sea otter 6 at aol dot com)

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:42 PM
EAC

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
Proper visa regulations can be found on:

www.indonesia.nl

Correct, if you are in Netherland, though the information is also
valid for citizens from other countries.

Of course, more details can also be found on the nearest local
Indonesian embassies and consulates. As always, before visiting
another country, one should contact their embassy and/or consulates
first.

Sjoerd

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM
RAK

"Larry" wrote in message

No new tourist visa available unless you have been out of the country two

weeks
(formerrly just a few hours were enough).

Are you sure about this? It was in the original visa proposals issued early
in 2003, but as far as I know was dropped from all reports since about June.
I have not seen it mentioned in recent reports here in Jakarta.

Roger

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Miguel Cruz

RAK wrote:
"Larry" wrote:
No new tourist visa available unless you have been out of the country two
weeks (formerrly just a few hours were enough).

Are you sure about this? It was in the original visa proposals issued
early in 2003, but as far as I know was dropped from all reports since
about June. I have not seen it mentioned in recent reports here in
Jakarta.

It would seem pretty pointless given their stated goals. If someone is
entering and leaving legally within the visa periods, they're going to be
presenting themselves to officials once a month, so it's not like they're
off the radar. And it's more money spent in-country.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/