Where to stay in Calgary?

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lauren Webmaster

Default Where to stay in Calgary?

My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for Waterton Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:18:11 -0500, Lauren Webmaster wrote:
My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for Waterton Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?

What are you requirements? A bed in the YMCA?
Camping space? Good place to park your car to sleep?
Best county to pick a fight to spend the night in jail?
1 star motel? 4 star resort? B&B?

Old February 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Lauren Webmaster wrote:
My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for Waterton Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?

Start he

http://www.calgaryairport.com/docume...ernet&DID=1731

Without knowing exactly what you expect for overnight accommodations
it's hard to give a more specific recommendation.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
scabbardgirl

Lauren Webmaster wrote:
My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for Waterton Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?

Without knowing what kind of place you'd be willing to stay at, it's a
little difficult to recommend. But, I'll tell you where I've stayed
when I go to Calgary (I go there once or twice a year):
1. Sheraton Four Points Calgary West. It's on the far west side of town
on the Trans Can, across the street from the Canada Olympic Park (the
ski jumps and bobsled track). It's a little pricey, but since it's at
the Park, that's where I stay.
2. Sandman Inn - next door to the Four Points. Kind of a toss-up
price-wise, but I like the Four Points a little more. If you want a
cheap breakfast before you head out to Waterton, there is a Denny's
built into the hotel.
3. Village Park Inn. It's in "Hotel Village", on Crowchild, one block
off the Trans Can, across the street from the football stadium. It's
probably a 2 star now, used to be a 3 star. In need of some work. That
area has quite a few motels - a Hampton Inn (stayed there, it's OK), a
Holiday Inn Express, a Clarion. The area itself is on the edge of the
University of Calgary.

I guess you can use these as a starting point.
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

Hi

Is your intent to find a place which will have you on your way
immediately to Waterton? If so, there are two hotels close to city
limits south and right by a huge shopping centre in case you want to
load up with some food/ snacks/ drinks etc.
I forgot the names but can drive by probably on monday.
Then, there are various ones on Macleod Trail south; the higher the
number the more south, which is what you probably want. But, what type
of "luxury" do you expect; that is the question

Old February 25th, 2008, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian Larkin[_2_]

Thanks, Paula, you've got the idea. We fly in and leave the next
morning heading south. We are not making a vacation out of this
over-nigher. All we need is a place to rest our heads for the evening.
Expedia and Hotels.com list scores of places, and while praices vary,
standard rooms are pretty much the same. What I'm hoping for is your
personal recommendation, where would you stay?

I will appreciate your suggestions

-Brian

Old February 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Lauren Webmaster wrote:
My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for Waterton Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?

Last year we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn by the airport and it
was fine.

It's changed to "Lakeview Signature Inn"
"http://www.lakeviewsignatureinn.com/", and the prices seem to have gone
up in the past year (in $CAD).

There were quite a few chain hotels around the airport. I can't remember
why we chose the Marriott. It may have been for the indoor pool, or
because it included breakfast, or because it was all non-smoking.

It's not all suites, despite what the web site says.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Brian Larkin" wrote in message

Thanks, Paula, you've got the idea. We fly in and leave the next
morning heading south. We are not making a vacation out of this
over-nigher. All we need is a place to rest our heads for the evening.
Expedia and Hotels.com list scores of places, and while praices vary,
standard rooms are pretty much the same. What I'm hoping for is your
personal recommendation, where would you stay?

I will appreciate your suggestions

-Brian

It's only 90 MINUTES from Calgary to Waterton. No need to stay in Calgary.

Old February 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

Brian, on Macleod Trail south and approx 162 Ave SW; maybe S.E. MAcleod
Trail is kind of centre is a Super 8 ( as said, the higher the number re
163 is more south. They are very basic but we have found them normally
having good beds and clean. Sorry, I have never stayed in this one)
At the back is the shopping centre with some restaurant, grocery stores
etc. From there you are out of town in just a couple of minutes and on
your way.
Waterton is beautiful. I am sure you will enjoy yourself there.

Old February 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Keefrider

Thanks, Paula. this sounds like it will be just fine. For this kind of
occasion, a clean Super 8 will do quite well. The location will get us
off to a running start in the morning. We are looking forward to
Waterton and the other parks in this area. We are spending three
weeks. Do you have any specail "must seee, must do" items?

Brian