Accidental Upgrade

Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:49 PM
me

Default Accidental Upgrade

Had the weirdest upgrade of my life. Flew USAir from MCO to
CLT. I don't fly them much so I've got about 7000 mile lifetime
total. I walk up to use their self service kiosk. I had just
recently bought the ticket and when I did I couldn't get an
aisle or window seat. So as I used the kiosk, I thought I'd
see if I couldn't get an aisle seat. Start punching all the
buttons, not paying much attention, and found an aisle seat.
Went on through and finished out. Problem was, for some reason
the software thought that because I already had an assigned seat,
I was trying to up grade. So when it came time to print my
boarding pass, it asked for $50 for the upgrade. Now on a
long flight, I might have gone for it. But this flight wasn't
a whole lot longer than an hour so I didn't see much point.
Problem is, because it thinks I'm trying to upgrade, it will
ONLY show me available seats in FC.

Now the problem starts. The confuser has changed my seat
assignment, but it won't print a boarding pass without the
cash. So I cancel out of the whole thing and start over.
Same problem, it now has me assigned in first class, but won't
process the boarding pass without the $50 and it won't let
me choose a seat in cattle class. So I call over the rocket
scientist who is there to assist. Of course he makes me go
through the whole thing AGAIN to prove to him it won't work.
Then he gets on his terminal. On his terminal it tells him
that there are no seats available in cattle class, so he
just comps the FC seat to me and says "have a good flight".

I'm not gonna complain.

Old December 4th, 2003, 03:09 PM
me

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote in message ...
nice way to try to get you to pay for an oversold condition (IF I read this
right) ;-)

That did occur to me. I suspect it was an unintentional feature of
the system based upon an assumption that someone who already has a
seat assignment, and is trying to change it, is upgrading. Furthermore,
once upgraded, the original seat is unassigned before the new
assignment (and price) are accepted. I may have lost my seat in
coach, and it was filled before I ever accepted paying for the upgrade.

om...