Credit Card or ATM

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Default Credit Card or ATM

Alfred Molon wrote:

Unfortunately all banks here in Germany charge this fee for ATM
withdrawals. There is no way to avoid it. You would have to emigrate.

Fortunately, many U.S. banks refund out-of-network ATM fees world-wide,
up to a limited amount per month. I.e. my bank refunds up to $15 per
month in ATM fees. I guess that would only cover two withdrawals in
Germany per month.

Also, some banks, i.e. BOA and Deutsche Bank, are members of the Global
ATM Alliance and the fees are waived at other banks that are members of
that group, but usually only at the banks in their home countries (i.e.
a BOA branch outside the U.S. would still charge fees to card holders
from other network banks, but a BOA branch in the U.S. would not, ditto
for a Deutsche Bank branch in Italy versus Germany).

The BOA web site shows the following banks in the alliance:

Barclays (United Kingdom)
BNP Paribas (France)
China Construction Bank (China)
Deutsche Bank (Germany)
Santander Serfin (Mexico)
Scotiabank (Canada)
Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Citibank Germany does not charge this 4 Euro fee if you withdraw from a
Citibank ATM worldwide, but unfortunately the exchange rate you get is
already (at least) 1% worse than the rate from a non-Citibank ATM.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Aug 19, 8:55 pm, Chris Blunt wrote:
I have an account with HSBC in the UK, and although they claim that
cash withdrawals from HSBC ATM machines overseas are free, there is
actually a hidden charge of 2.75% built into the exchange rate
conversion.

Thanks for the information.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Aug 20, 1:38*am, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"PeterL" kirjoitti

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de-Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

My bank card refunds all ATM fees. *Thus regardless of what other
banks charge, I pay no fee.

As banks are not charitable organizations they will charge you by other
"banking products".

Of course they do. They want my deposit in their bank. But since all
banks pay a very low interest rate anyway, this free service (no fee
ATM card) is what's important for me for international traveling.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

SMS wrote in message ...

Which country? Which Visa?

Bank of America ATM card or Bank of America Visa to be used in Vietnam.

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Sharkbait wrote:
SMS wrote in message ...

Which country? Which Visa?

Bank of America ATM card or Bank of America Visa to be used in Vietnam.

Get a First Republic account (if they serve your state) for an ATM, and
a Capital 1 Visa card. You'll pay a lot of fees with those BOA cards.

"http://www.firstrepublic.com/locate/index.html"
"http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/miles/"
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Deckard

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:43:20 -0700 (PDT), PeterL
wrote:

On Aug 19, 11:54=A0am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article de588a2d-b91e-4c0a-9c20-
, =A0says...

On Aug 19, 4:22=A0am, Alfred Molon wrote:

I don't know about your bank, but since my bank charges a fixed fee o=

f 4
Euro (=3DUSD 6) per withdrawal,

Myself, I would shred such a card this minute. My Visa debit charges
either 0.75 US $ or 1% per transaction, whichever is greater. My Visa
credit, same bank, charges 1%.

Unfortunately all banks here in Germany charge this fee for ATM
withdrawals. There is no way to avoid it. You would have to emigrate.
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

My bank card refunds all ATM fees. Thus regardless of what other
banks charge, I pay no fee.

If you are you living in Europe, I'd like to know the name of this
bank.
A British poster said in this thread that his bank "Nationwide" does
not charge fee for withdrawals from ATM machines overseas.
Unfortunatly, there is no Nationwide bank in my country (France).
Actually the banks in Europe - maybe also in other regions of the
world - are acting as true mafia gangs. But there is a rule in EU that
says you're not allowed to discriminate any EU citizen in favour of
nationals, unless you can prove it's a question of security measure.
Of course, fee for overseas withdrawals cannot be excused by this
rule.
I don't like to pay with my Visa card in a shop or a hotel in SE Asia
because it is not safe at all; they don't use the electronic chip of
the card but the old way of "ironing", which slip can be easily faked
later.

Mort
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Deckard wrote:

If you are you living in Europe, I'd like to know the name of this
bank.

Probably he's referring to a U.S. bank. There's a number of banks that
refund out-of-network ATM fees:

First Republic (no limit)
USAA ($15)
E-Trade (no limit)
Schwab (no limit)

If the ATM's owner gives a terrible exchange rate then there's nothing
you can do about it though.

I don't like to pay with my Visa card in a shop or a hotel in SE Asia
because it is not safe at all; they don't use the electronic chip of
the card but the old way of "ironing", which slip can be easily faked
later.

I suppose, but as long as you have the original slip, if they pull this
then it should be trivial to get the charge reversed.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Greg P wrote;

Notify your bank that you will be using your card outside of your
country. Also, take your banks phone number in case you need to call
them.

Right. I usually notify the bank before traveling abroad that I may need to
use my card, and I provide them the country or countries I plan to visit
along with the dates. For backup, I carry travelers checks, and then some
cash as well.

rg