escape

Old November 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default escape

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 18:43:13 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:50:40 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 19:15:18 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 20:15:34 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

The election results are in. i really want to move to Germany. Politics
strike me as more rational there.

Only because you don't live in Germany.

Ah, but I follow events there and I HAVE lived there in the past.

Lived long term or just visited? Paid both German and US income tax at the same
time?

Besides,
they have the best bread in the world!

Make your own bread and stay at home.

I do all of the former and a lot of the latter. When not doing the latter,
I've learned they have pretty good bread in Scandinavia generally.

and in France too?

Not on the one trip when I was there.

Only because you didn't try to buy bread and because you stayed in cheap crap
hostels/hotels. I've never had bad bread in France.

It was a group tour. The places we stayed were generally nice. The second
time they had this weiners and beans stuff as main course, I went back to
my hotel and skipped supper. Thin fish soup was even worse.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So the tour saved money on the food. Your experience of France is about as
typical as Cathy's experience of European food. Next time blame the tour not the
country.

Oh, we had adequate food most of the time, but less than adequate "bread".

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:12:53 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Am Sat, 8 Nov 2014 19:15:17 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Erilar:

You're allowed to live in this country, but often not allowed to vote.

Depends on your status. English people living legally in Germany can vote
in European elections (at the same place where the Germans vote), but not
in national elections. For that, you'll need a Germany citizienship -
which
did become much easier to obtain some years ago, for most European
nationalities you can legally keep your old passport and nationality and
get a German one, too.

In The Netherlands aliens can also vote in local council elections.

In all EU countries other EU citizens residing there can vote in local
elections - it's EU law

tim

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 08.11.2014 21:38, JohnT wrote:

wrote:

The election results are in. i really want to move to Germany.
Politics
strike me as more rational there.

Only because you don't live in Germany.

Ah, but I follow events there and I HAVE lived there in the past.
Besides,
they have the best bread in the world!

Some German bread is tolerably good. I assume that you are not familiar
with Poilane.

There is no such thing as "German" bread. Each region has different kinds
of bread. In Bavaria bread often contains a lot of caraway, an acquired
taste for me.

IME almost all German Bread's an acquired taste for me. I like my bread to
be soft and fluffy, not so dense you can use it as roof tiles.

It may "taste" nicer than other countries bread but I just can't abide the
texture

tim

Old November 15th, 2014, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

wrote:

The election results are in. i really want to move to Germany. Politics
strike me as more rational there.

Only because you don't live in Germany.

Ah, but I follow events there and I HAVE lived there in the past.
Besides,
they have the best bread in the world!

Some German bread is tolerably good. I assume that you are not familiar
with Poilane.

There is no such thing as "German" bread. Each region has different
kinds of bread. In Bavaria bread often contains a lot of caraway, an
acquired taste for me.

IME almost all German Bread's an acquired taste for me. I like my bread
to be soft and fluffy, not so dense you can use it as roof tiles.

It may "taste" nicer than other countries bread but I just can't abide the texture

Oh, then you must like the tasteless white stuff they call "bread" in the
US?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

A lot of countries have "tasteless white stuff" bread. I've seen it in a
French supermarket and think it was called "Pain pour toast". The
British eat a lot of it too. It's common in the Outer Hebrides where it
shipped from Glasgow and takes several days to come.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old November 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Erilar" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I find it preferable to a slice of cardboard with taste, yes

tim

Old November 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

M&S in the Netherlands import it from UK. An English food shop that used
to be
in Scheveningen said that imported from UK white sliced bread and toilet
paper,
(not a lot of difference) were their best selling products.

It's equally pointless [1] paying M&S prices for "staples" in the UK, but
many do

tim

[1] ignoring the possibility of differential travelling costs to alternative
suppliers

Old November 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

wrote:

[...]

In my opinion, the former and latter would taste about the same, and both
could be used for the latter purpose. . .

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad