Where in Paris is this?

Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

Default Where in Paris is this?

Where in Paris is this? (Screen grab from Spring 1926 film)

http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Par...n-location.jpg

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 03:32:21 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:52:12 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, Don Wiss
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Where in Paris is this? (Screen grab from Spring 1926 film)
... http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Par...n-location.jpg

Place de la Concorde - Jardin des Tuilleries.

Thanks.

I had considered Place de la Concorde, but looking at Google Maps I could
not place it there. There is a title card with Place de la Concorde, but
then it shows a rural cemetery that appears to be the Suresnes American
Cemetery. Then after the cemetery there is a title card with "Parade of
Richmond Blues and Putnam Phalanx. American Escort of General Jaffee" and
it shows that scene on my link.

But then I was looking at Google Maps at the open Place de la Concorde, and
not the Jardin des Tuilleries.

If you want to see the entire film, it can be downloaded off of he
http://jwissandsons.com/family/grand-tour/
The best parts are the various street scenes.

Soon it will be put up on YouTube or Vimeo.

Old November 4th, 2015, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 08:46:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

If you want to see the entire film, it can be downloaded off of he
http://jwissandsons.com/family/grand-tour/
The best parts are the various street scenes.

Soon it will be put up on YouTube or Vimeo.

Have you got a link to the Sheffield film too?

Sheffield is in that film. It originally had the title card At Southampton,
but we moved that title card to just in front of Southampton docks. So
Sheffield has no title card. But it is listed on my timings chart.

Sheffield can be identified by the buses with Sheffield Corporation
Tramways on the sides. And Sheffield Banking Company Limited is on a
building front.

My great-grandfather also visited Sheffield in the 1890s. It being the
center of scissors manufacturing in England interested him.

Old November 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 14:20:06 +0100, Martin wrote:

I hadn't watched it. The adverts on the website seem to take priority and the
download goes on forever. The sooner you put the film on youtube the better :-)

Oh. I have AdBlock Plus and I didn't see them. I noted it wasn't as fast as
FileConvoy. But my brother choose the site to send to me.

I've watched it now. It's an amazing film. BBC4 sometimes show films like this.
Thanks for posting it, Don. I blinked and missed Sheffield :-)

And I'd like to see it in full hi-res, or 1080. He shrunk it to transfer to
me. I don't know how YouTube works with hi-res. My brother is the video
expert. I know how to hand code web pages.

Old November 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:35:57 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 08:33:03 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

Any idea why they wore winter coats everywhere they went? They were in Canada at
Corpus Christi, which was on June 7th in 1928. The tour must have been March to
June???

It was 1926. And it would have been Sunday, June 6th that year. The page
has the dates from the tour brochure, and then ancestry.com has the dates
they left England and arrived in Quebec City. There were about two months
on their own after they left the cruise. Though I'm sure that portion was
custom designed by a travel agent for Canadian Pacific.

They left NYC on February 9th. Clearly winter coats were needed then.

I just looked at Sintra. The men wore suits and the women winter coats. I
looked at Egypt. No winter coats! I don't know.

And I'd like to see it in full hi-res, or 1080.

Me too and with the contrast changed so that it is not so dark.

My brother has already lightened up some very dark portions. I don't know
anything about film and what can be done to make it better.

Old November 5th, 2015, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:10:28 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:

It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

What, even the word for the noun "seal"?

Old November 6th, 2015, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 23:12:43 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:53:30 -0700, in rec.travel.europe, "Ken Blake, MVP"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:10:28 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:
... It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.
... What, even the word for the noun "seal"?

Joint d'étanchéité sounds fine to me...

A different kind of seal than the one I was thinking of, as you almost
certainly know.

For others here, I was thinking of the animal, in French called
"phoque."

Old November 6th, 2015, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake, MVP

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 13:35:37 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 16:57:40 -0700, in rec.travel.europe, "Ken Blake, MVP"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 23:12:43 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:
... On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:53:30 -0700, in rec.travel.europe, "Ken Blake, MVP"
... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
... ... On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:10:28 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:
... ...
... ... It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.
... ...
... ...
... ...
... ... What, even the word for the noun "seal"?
... Joint d'étanchéité sounds fine to me...
... A different kind of seal than the one I was thinking of, as you almost
... certainly know.
... For others here, I was thinking of the animal, in French called
... "phoque."

I see that French slang is not unknown to you...

Actually very little. I just happen to know that word, but I can't
remember when or where I first saw it.

Old November 6th, 2015, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_204_]

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:10:28 +0100, "M@gd@" wrote:

It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

What, even the word for the noun "seal"?

M@gd@ "seals" all with a *kiss*...!!!

;-)

--
Best