how paranoid should one really be?

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default how paranoid should one really be?

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:34:41 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

The Reid wrote:

Following up to
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:

Is he worried about "violent" theft or simply people who use tools
(in this case, a sharp knife) to slice open the bottom of a backpack
and take its contents? There's likely no violence towards the person
with the backpack, and the temporary shock & disbelief at what's
happening probably keeps the thief from having to subdue his prey.

I was using 'violent' very widely here. This kind of theft is rare.

Which kind? I've seen bag snatches two or three times and have friends
who have suffered it.

It's rare where he's going. I only know of one friend who has ever had a
bag snatched while on holiday. That was on a bridge in Turkey.

It happens all the time in the Netherlands and violent crime is rising
dramatically here too.

As with here, but I'd still say it was safe for tourists. I don't see
the point in worrying about something which is very unlikely to happen.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nisse PowerMan

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Bruce Dumes wrote:

After reading a bunch of travel web pages, I decided to arm myself with
one of these expensive "slash proof" backpacks. Personally, I think
it's beyond paranoid, but so many people say that they've had their
backpacks or bags taken from them in seconds by someone walking by with
a knife and yanking on the strap. I also got a slash-proof camera strap.

The places I'm traveling are Hamburg (and surrounding areas), up through
Denmark to Copenhagen, Latvia (Riga and Daugavpils) and a one day
lay-over (no pun intended) in Amsterdam.

I decided that the cost of the backpack was easily outweighed by the
replacement costs of the contents it will be carrying. What's the
general consensus around here? How paranoid should one really be?

I think you're being too paranoid. Mild vigilance will be all you need
with a normal backpack. Besides, the cities you mentioned don't have a
particularly bad reputation for crime...

Exactly. Probably 10 to 100 times worse to go to NY or LA than travel
around Europe, not to mention Miami.

/Nisse

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
"Abominable, loyal, blind, apparently subservient."
Pres. Carter on Ex-Pres. Blair- May, 2007

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!