Kenya/Nairobi

Old April 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Petal and Leif

Default Kenya/Nairobi

Hi folks,

I will soon take my first trip to Africa, and are going to Nairobi in the
end of this month. I will only be one week, and would like suggestions of
what to do, what to see, and where to stay (budget, central located, safe).

Leif A
Norway

Old April 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Tashi

i suggest leaving Nairobi and fly/train to Mombasa for the week.

--
Don't tell me how educated you are,
tell me how much you have traveled.

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Petal and Leif

I understand your point, but I will be in Nairobi for specific reasons, and
will only have a couple days to leave the city.

Leif

Old April 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"Petal and Leif" wrote:

Hi folks,

I will soon take my first trip to Africa, and are going to Nairobi in the
end of this month. I will only be one week, and would like suggestions of
what to do, what to see, and where to stay (budget, central located, safe).

If you've only got a few days, you could visit, depending on your
interests:
The National Museum.
Karen Blixen House and Langata Giraffe Centre
Railway Museum
Bomas of Kenya (traditional dancing)
or, my first choice, Nairobi National Park, which is just outside the
city and has most of the main wildlife you can see in the other parks
except Elephant.
I don't know what you mean by budget: the Fairview Hotel is nice and
not as expensive as some others, but you may want cheaper.
It's worth spending money (not much by European standards) on taxis
for getting to the different places. Nairobi can be dangerous. Get
reception at your hotel to suggest a reliable taxi company. Tour desks
at the hotel desks offer afternoon trips to the Karen Blixen Museum
and Langata Giraffe Centre and morning or afternoon trips into the
National Park. You could easily spend a whole day or two in the
National Park, with a picnic, but that doesn't tend to be generally
offered. You could get a driver and vehicle from a safari company, but
it would be pretty expensive if you were on your own.
If you want to get out of Nairobi, and your two days off are together,
you could either go up to one of the Night Lodges (Treetops/The
Ark/Mountain Lodge or down to Lake Elmenteita or Nakuru NP.

Safari njema

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz Leyden
writes
In message
"Petal and Leif" wrote:

[...]

As usual Liz has suggested the perfect itinerary, I would have also
suggested the Fairview hotel. Letsgo travel in Nairobi are very helpful
and reliable, if you contact them I`m sure they could make suggestions
for hotels and a driver and vehicle for a trip to one of the places Liz
suggested. If you go out of town it may be cheaper to go with an
organised tour. Letsgo have a website.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Africatraveler

Hi
You may want to start at The Nairobi National park which is located
just about 10 kms away from the bustling city centre. Except for the
elephant, this park is home to four members of the big five. Animals
to be found here include; lions, leopards, zebras, rhinos,
wildebeests, and other species including beautiful bird life.

You may also want to visit the city market, parliament buildings, the
railway station and old Nairobi PC's office of the 1902. Normally the
National Museum - with an array of spell binding displays of the early
man, tribal regalia and the flora and fauna of Kenya - would be
included, but this is currently closed for renovation till 2008.

I would also recommend you go for lunch at the Carnivore Restaurant,
voted as one of the top 50 restaurants in the World

Other places of interest include Bomas of Kenya that is just about 12
kilometres from the city centre and has numerous homesteads reflecting
Kenya's variety of cultures. The greatest excitement of this visit in
the afternoon will be a display of traditional dances, music and other
folklore traditional songs in a splendid arena.

My Ten Travel Commandments to Nairobi
==============================
1. Exchange foreign currency in the local forex bureaus in town. Do
not use the banks
They charge exorbitant prices-

2. If you want to surf the net, visit the local internet cafes in town
($0.014/min=1 Kenya Shilling/min).
Do not use the hotel services. You will be charged nearly 25 times!
what you will pay in the local internet cafes

3. If buying local crafts in the local curio markets in Kenya, the
traders will start at
two times the price a local person will pay. They assume all
"wazungus" (white folks)
and foreigners have a lot of money.

4. Beware of guys who will nag you wanting to offer their services to
show you around
town. You may get ripped off!!

5.Be on the lookout of someone with a long story telling you of all
the troubles he's had and needs financial assistance (Tell him to get
a job!!)

6. Kenya is relatively safe i dont seem to understand all the noise
about travel advisories issued by America

7. Immediately you land at the airport you will be harrased by
freelance tour guides who
will want to take you on your tour. My advise is that if you want to
do a city tour they are ok
but for long Safaris to National Parks do not use them. Use a travel
agent instead

8. When landing at the airport again, if people approach you asking
that they carry your
luggage for a fee which you can comfortably do, stop and tell them in
a VERY FIRM
VOICE that you ARE OK!!! They will leave you alone....

9. Beware of people in the streets in town wanting to sell you mobile
phones...they might be stolen.
Buy mobile phones in local shops in town

10. Never try to book a long your own tour thinking you will save
money..Its a lot of headache and will
turn out to be very expensive.

my thoughts..

Regards
Gerald
http://www.africapoint.com
Great Destinations, Great Prices

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Nisse PowerMan

Petal and Leif wrote:

Hi folks,

I will soon take my first trip to Africa, and are going to Nairobi in the
end of this month. I will only be one week, and would like suggestions of
what to do, what to see, and where to stay (budget, central located, safe).

Leif A
Norway

Watch out for US terrorists, the whole place is packed with terrorists,
arresting foreigners in secret, taking them to hidden places, people
just disappear...

/Nisse

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
ngeresa

On Apr 7, 12:25 pm, "Petal and Leif" wrote:
Hi folks,

I will soon take my first trip to Africa, and are going to Nairobi in the
end of this month. I will only be one week, and would like suggestions of
what to do, what to see, and where to stay (budget, central located, safe).

Leif A
Norway

Hi?

These are My suggestions:
Accomodation at the Comfort Inn hotel booked on bed and Breakfast USD
50

Where to visit in Nairobi:

NAIROBI EXCURSIONS

NAIROBI CITY TOUR

This tour will take you to the colorful market and its surrounding
bazaars, Parliament buildings, Kenyatta International Conference
Centre, the National Museum and the adjacent Snake Park.

Price 20 USD

GIRAFFE MANOR
The giraffe manor offers a rare opportunity of literary coming face to
face with Africa's tallest animal - the giraffe. Feed Daisy, the
famous Rothschild giraffe and her family and learn about the success
story of the once endangered Rothschild Giraffe.
Entrance fee contributes to other conservation projects in Kenya.

Price 30 USD

OSTRICH PARK
A short distance to the nearby Ostrich Park provides the opportunity
to see the breeding of ostriches from eggs to full grown-ups.

Price 20 USD

THE CARNIVORE EXPERIENCE
A Brazilian style restaurant in Nairobi, Kenya that offers a menu
famous for exotic charcoal grilled meat including wild game such as
Crocodile, Zebra, Eland and wildebeest-don't worry, the meat isn't
poached bush meat but bred!
In addition the game meat, succulent lamb, beef, chicken and pork
dishes all roasted on skewers over a huge wood fire.
A must for meat lovers!

Price 40 USD

NGONG FOREST SANCTUARY WALK
Drive 6 km from the city center to Ngong Forest, the only indigenous
forest in the world that is located right within the city confines of
a capital city. The forest is a 600 hectares of urban forest managed
by a private charitable trust - The Ngong Forest Sanctuary Trust. The
walk in the forest offers bird watching, plant identification, and
animal life accompanied by a professional naturalist. At the end of
the walk Ngong Race course Restaurant will serve refreshments. Please
note your payments go to the Ngong Forest Sanctuary Trust,
contributing to conservation of this highly valued natural resource
splendors.

Price 50 USD

HALF DAY EXCURSION TO PARADISE LOST
Drive to the largest picnic site in Kenya (54 acres of pure fun). This
is the home of the 2.5 years old stone age caves, trees thought to be
hundred of years old while the river reeds have a long story to tell.
Enjoy the nature trails amid bird watching, horse riding, camel
riding, feeding Maasai ostrich, fishing, coffee farms, and boat
riding. The tour returns to the city center.

Price 30 USD

CULTURAL TOUR EXCURSION UTAMADUNI
Utamaduni is a Kiswahili word for 'traditional' and forms a full day
of pure Kenyan traditional cultural experience with visits to
Utamanduni cultural center displaying a variety of cultural
activities. Traditional dishes will be served to enable clients have a
total true taste of traditional Kenya.

Price 20 USD

NAIROBI NATIONAL PARK
Nairobi National Park Kenya's first ever National park is a unique and
unspoilt wildlife
haven within sight of the city's skyline. Rhino, buffalo, cheetah,
zebra, giraffe,lion and plentyof antelopes and gazelles can be seen
roaming in this open plains country with a section of highland forest
as well asstretches of broken bush country, deep, rocky valleys and
gorges with scrub and long grass. Ornithologists catch with over 300
bird species including the Secretary bird, crowned cranes, vultures,
peckers and many more.

Prices Per Person 90 USD

You can also hire a car at 51 USD Per day and enjoy Nairobi Night
life. Nairobi has a very cool social life a beer here goes for 120 Ksh
(1.7 USD) . Clubs here have good music that you can dance too.

Also you can pop into Nairobi movie cinema halls and catch a movie 5
USD a soda will cost you 1.50 USD a Hot Dog 3 USD.

Paul
+254721965669

Old April 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:25:59 +0200, Petal and Leif wrote:

I will soon take my first trip to Africa, and are going to Nairobi in the
end of this month. I will only be one week, and would like suggestions of
what to do, what to see, and where to stay (budget, central located, safe).

Leif,

have a look at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm for some hints
and check lists.

The big question is, for how long can you leave the city? If you
can get away for a couple of days, that would open a wonderful
opportunity to visit one of the major nature reserves. Kenya
isn't too big and has a relatively good road infrastructure, so
you could get to interesting places within less than a day.

Otherwise I agree that Nairobi National Park is the most
interesting thing to see in Nairobi. It takes a full day to do
one round trip in it.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Africatraveler

Otherwise I agree that Nairobi National Park is the most
interesting thing to see in Nairobi. It takes a full day to do
one round trip in it.

Hans-Georg

I have been to Nairobi National Park and from what i observed the
animals come out to graze in the
evening starting at around 4.00pm. We went round the park most of the
afternoon and its only after
5.00pm that we started seeing a lot of the animals. So you might want
to arrange your itinerary in such a
way that you enter the park at around 4pm