passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

Default passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never
needed one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need
one, and most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/official...t/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:00:42 -0400, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never
needed one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need
one, and most of my travel is inside the US.

why don't you read the documentation handed to you by the company
you're cruising with?
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 6/7/10 5:00 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never needed
one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need one, and
most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/official...t/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll be
flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

The passport card is pretty much a waste. Just get a regular passport.
It's not like the cost is that different. But just suppose... let's
say you twist an ankle or something like that, and need to fly back to
the US. Or you miss the ship because of an excursion... or whatever.
But let's just say you need to fly back for some reason half way through
the cruise. A passport lets you.

Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

--Tom
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rieker

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

A passport card is worthless, IMO.

If you are on a 'closed loop' cruise (one wherein you return to the same
port from which you sailed) a US citizen can use the combination of a
certified birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID (drivers license).
I believe that children under 16 only need a birth certificate.

If you get sick and must return home from any foreign port, anywhere on
planet earth, you will need a real passport (not the 'card').

If you take a cruise that departs say from Ft Lauderdale, transits the
Panama Canal and you finish in San Diego, you need a passport.

A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5
yrs.)

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm
"How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same
port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of
citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A
U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original
or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship
and Immigration Services.
Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when
you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your
cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the
appropriate documents for the stops you'll be making on your cruise."

Old June 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

I've actually used the passport more often within the US. At least in
Indiana, it replaces two of the pieces of paper you have to have that to
get your driver's license. It is also the only thing you need to prove
you can legally work in the US. Nice thing for those times when someone
requires a second form of ID.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"rieker" wrote:

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

A passport card is worthless, IMO.

If you are on a 'closed loop' cruise (one wherein you return to the same
port from which you sailed) a US citizen can use the combination of a
certified birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID (drivers license).
I believe that children under 16 only need a birth certificate.

Wives need the marriage license, which may make Ms. Ohioguy want
to get hers instead of hassleing with 3 forms.

Old June 8th, 2010, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

See the section on "closed loop" cruises.

Definitely read the "required documents" section of the cruise line
website, e.g., here is Carnival's: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/crui...bark_info.aspx

Realizing you don't plan to fly home from a Caribbean port, a passport
card or "book" is good to have in the unlikely event something
happened mid-cruise to you, your wife or your non-traveling kiddos
that necessitated a flight home.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LVTravel[_1_]

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never needed
one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need one, and
most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/official...t/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll be
flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

Even if you do not need a passport to cruise if something happened and you
had to fly home in an emergency you would have great issues in getting back
into the US. The passport is necessary to fly into the US.

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 6/7/2010 5:40 PM, rieker wrote:

A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5 yrs.)

I am not going to disagree that getting a passport will probably make
life easier for the cruise, but claiming that it only costs $10 a year
when he has not needed it for the last 9 years, and may not need it for
the next 9 years, is understating the cost. The fact is it costs $100
and for many people that is a significant amount of money for something
that really is only needed one time.

Bill
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Bill wrote:

On 6/7/2010 5:40 PM, rieker wrote:

A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5 yrs.)

I am not going to disagree that getting a passport will probably make
life easier for the cruise, but claiming that it only costs $10 a year
when he has not needed it for the last 9 years, and may not need it for
the next 9 years, is understating the cost. The fact is it costs $100
and for many people that is a significant amount of money for something
that really is only needed one time.

He hasn't needed it for the past 9 years because people just didn't
need passports then the way they do now. When he went to Canada in
the past, he didn't need a passport and now he does.

I use a passport as my ID whenever I travel, even inside the US. Way
more convenient.

Plus if he can afford a cruise, he should be able to afford a
passport.