Ship's too big for St. George's

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Ship's too big for St. George's

Oops, the Veendam can't dock at St. George, Bermuda. I would have
thought they would have checked this before now....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Se...D=270&ArticleI
D=43899

--
Charles
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
Oops, the Veendam can't dock at St. George, Bermuda. I would have
thought they would have checked this before now....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Se...D=270&ArticleI
D=43899

--
Charles

That's a very stupid oops... especially given the "triple whammy" they
mentioned (no more ships, no hotel, and the golf course being closed).
Bermuda has always given the ships a bit of a hard time, but now it seems
that their "attitude" is haunting them big time.

Time to get out some dredging equipment and deepen and widen the Town Cut.
That cut should be able to accommodate 70,000 ton ships to help bring the
economy back. No need for Voyager size ships there, but
Century/LegendOTS/SplendorOTS size ships should be allowed to go there.

--Tom

Old December 17th, 2009, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
Oops, the Veendam can't dock at St. George, Bermuda. I would have
thought they would have checked this before now....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Se...D=270&ArticleI
D=43899

This is a HUGE Oops and there are going to be a lot of unhappy
passengers. No way would I book a cruise to Bermuda when I have to
tender ashore. The beauty of a Bermuda cruise is being able to walk on
and off the ship when you want to.

I would much rather take the Summit which docks at the Dockyard, then to
take the Veendam and have to tender.

sue
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Charles wrote:
Oops, the Veendam can't dock at St. George, Bermuda. I would have
thought they would have checked this before now....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Se...D=270&ArticleI
D=43899

This is a HUGE Oops and there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers.
No way would I book a cruise to Bermuda when I have to tender ashore. The
beauty of a Bermuda cruise is being able to walk on and off the ship when
you want to.

I would much rather take the Summit which docks at the Dockyard, then to
take the Veendam and have to tender.

It's only supposed to be at St. George 1 day (IIRC). The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

--Tom

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Charles wrote:
Oops, the Veendam can't dock at St. George, Bermuda. I would have
thought they would have checked this before now....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Se...D=270&ArticleI
D=43899

This is a HUGE Oops and there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers.
No way would I book a cruise to Bermuda when I have to tender ashore. The
beauty of a Bermuda cruise is being able to walk on and off the ship when
you want to.

I would much rather take the Summit which docks at the Dockyard, then to
take the Veendam and have to tender.

It's only supposed to be at St. George 1 day (IIRC). The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

I know it is only a day or two at the most, but I just don't like the
idea of tendering in Bermuda. I enjoy being at the Dockyard and can take
the ferry to Hamilton. I don't think we will be going to Bermuda any
time soon, so I won't worry about it yet.

sue

Old December 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Paul Krause wrote:
Dockyard, tender, swim.... whatever it takes. I love Bermuda!

I love Bermuda also, but somehow tendering there just isn't right.LOL

sue
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Dec 16, 10:38*pm, "Tom K" wrote:
*The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

It really depends on what a person wants to do. The cab ride to
horseshoe bay is about the same from Hamilton or the wharf, and it's a
pleasant ferry ride to/from St. George or Hamilton. It's not quite as
bad as you always portray it.

Warren
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Warren wrote:

On Dec 16, 10:38*pm, "Tom K" wrote:
*The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

It really depends on what a person wants to do. The cab ride to
horseshoe bay is about the same from Hamilton or the wharf, and it's a
pleasant ferry ride to/from St. George or Hamilton. It's not quite as
bad as you always portray it.
.

First - even if a ship is booked to go into St. George, sometimes they
can't get in there due to weather.

I love Bermuda and King's Wharf isn't BAD - it's just that it isn't as
nice as being right in town. If you are at King's Wharf for three
days and have to take the ferry each day to get into town, you almost
might as well be tendering although the ferry is a nicer ride.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Dec 18, 8:16*am, Rosalie B. wrote:

I love Bermuda and King's Wharf isn't BAD - it's just that it isn't as
nice as being right in town. *If you are at King's Wharf for three
days and have to take the ferry each day to get into town, you almost
might as well be tendering although the ferry is a nicer ride.

As someone who doesn't "shop" - and has usually seen what's to see of
interest to me "in town" within a couple of hours - I personally don't
care if the ship is docked in Hamilton, Kings Wharf or St. Georges.
Eventually I have to take some mode of transportation to get to places
that interest me on Bermuda wherever the ship is docked.

Warren