Ship's too big for St. George's

Old December 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Ship's too big for St. George's

"Warren" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

It really depends on what a person wants to do. The cab ride to
horseshoe bay is about the same from Hamilton or the wharf, and it's a
pleasant ferry ride to/from St. George or Hamilton. It's not quite as
bad as you always portray it.

Warren

The ferry ride can be a hassle. Especially at night when everyone's tired
and just wants to go back on the ship quickly. Nothing IMO beats being
docked on Front Street and right in St. Georges. Plus, if you read the
article that Charles linked to (or some of the other articles on that page),
I think they said that they discontinued the ferry to St. Georges. It
sounds like the town of St. George is in trouble. Even the White Horse is
going to be closed for a number of months.

--Tom

Old December 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Tom K" wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
The other 3 days it
will be in Hamilton docked (assuming my info is correct), which is still
better than 3 days at the Wharf for Summit.

It really depends on what a person wants to do. The cab ride to
horseshoe bay is about the same from Hamilton or the wharf, and it's a
pleasant ferry ride to/from St. George or Hamilton. It's not quite as
bad as you always portray it.

The ferry ride can be a hassle. Especially at night when everyone's tired
and just wants to go back on the ship quickly. Nothing IMO beats being
docked on Front Street and right in St. Georges. Plus, if you read the
article that Charles linked to (or some of the other articles on that page),
I think they said that they discontinued the ferry to St. Georges. It
sounds like the town of St. George is in trouble. Even the White Horse is
going to be closed for a number of months.

The ferry to St. Georges normally only runs in the summer anyway. It's
a very long ride and I think it is a fairly recently added route. I
don't think they had that route when I first went to Bermuda.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Rosalie B. wrote On 12/19/2009 8:20 AM:
"Tom K" wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

[...]

Call me a little off beat, but I don't mind HAL tenders. They are very
fast and can hold a lot of walkers without capsizing. ;-) In other
ports I've gotten some very nice photos while tendering ashore.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

"Tom K" wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

[...]

Brian, I don't mind when we have to tender in a port, but Bermuda is a
totally different story. One of the lovely things about Bermuda is being
able to "walk" off or onto the ship at anytime of the day or night.
Having to tender changes that freedom completly.

sue
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

"Tom K" wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

[...]

Don't most tenders run every 10 - 15 minutes? That doesn't seem like
much of an inconvenience to me. All ships tender to Georgetown, Grand
Cayman. What's the difference?

--
________

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Brian K wrote:

Don't most tenders run every 10 - 15 minutes? That doesn't seem like
much of an inconvenience to me. All ships tender to Georgetown, Grand
Cayman. What's the difference?

Would depend on how long. A regular "drive by" like at Georgetown,
then it would be less of a problem. I think the Replier was thinking
about the longer stays in Bermuda where they stay for a couple of days.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Brian K
wrote:

Don't most tenders run every 10 - 15 minutes? That doesn't seem like
much of an inconvenience to me. All ships tender to Georgetown, Grand
Cayman. What's the difference?

You don't get the difference because you have never been on a cruise to
Bermuda. And likely you have never even been to Bermuda. The cruises we
are talking about to Bermuda are not the ones with a one day, 8 hour
port call. You sail there, then the ship becomes your hotel for the
whole time you are there, three to four days, and then you sail back.
We walk on and off the ship at all hours. And many times a day. I have
stayed out until 2:00 am at St. George and walked back on to the ship.
It is not a six hour stop like Grand Cayman.

--
Charles
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

"Tom K" wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 10:38 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

[...]

Guess you have to of experienced Bermuda to understand what the
differencce is.

Love taking a walk in St. George's after dinner, but don't want to stand
around waiting for a tender. Same thing with going into town with
friends in the evening to spend some time at a pub. When you get tired
it is back to the ship and no standing around waiting for a tender. In
most other ports you are there for a short time, so you go ashore and
don't return untill you are done for the day.

sue
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Brian K wrote:

Call me a little off beat, but I don't mind HAL tenders. They are
very fast and can hold a lot of walkers without capsizing. ;-) In
other ports I've gotten some very nice photos while tendering ashore.

Brian, I don't mind when we have to tender in a port, but Bermuda is a
totally different story. One of the lovely things about Bermuda is
being able to "walk" off or onto the ship at anytime of the day or
night. Having to tender changes that freedom completly.

sue

Don't most tenders run every 10 - 15 minutes? That doesn't seem like
much of an inconvenience to me. All ships tender to Georgetown, Grand
Cayman. What's the difference?

I don't think they would run all night - that's one difference

The difference as others have said is that in Georgetown you get there
in the morning (eat breakfast in the Lido and watch the ships
maneuvering into position), take a tender in. Do whatever you want to
do there. Take a tender back. Ship leaves.

Bermuda is more like Key West if the ship can stay at the Mallory
Street pier overnight. There are repositioning cruises where you go
to Bermuda as the first port and are there for just one night and part
of a day, but most Bermuda cruises, you are there for four days/three
nights, and the ship is just a floating hotel. You don't have to rush
around to do things and worry about the ship leaving before you get
done. It would be very inconvenient if you had to tender in each
time.

We've been to Bermuda four times. The first time in 1963 when Bob's
ship was on maneuvers there and I was pg with my 2nd child. I stayed
at a hotel in St. George which is no longer there. The second time in
1995 and we stayed at the Hamilton Princess. The third time on the
old NCL Crown in 2004 which went to Hamilton and St. George, and the
fourth time in 2007 on Grandeur of the Seas repositioning cruise where
they were at Kings Wharf. King's Wharf is not as nice as being in
town, and if I had to tender, I would deal, but it would be three
steps down.