Bad Customs experience at Auckland airport

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Ken Pisichko

Frank Slootweg wrote:

You Really? Name just one 'hated' Canadian. (This is asked only for non-
You Canadians - we have our own list, mostly of politicians.)

Naturally this is off topic, but I just had to add....

Justice John H. Gomery is doing the work to make that list much "longer". The
next election - when it happens - will show just how long that list is going
to get. It is not over yet.

Ken
Canada

Old April 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Richard

Ken Pisichko wrote in :

Frank Slootweg wrote:

You Really? Name just one 'hated' Canadian. (This is asked only for
non- You Canadians - we have our own list, mostly of politicians.)

Naturally this is off topic, but I just had to add....

Justice John H. Gomery is doing the work to make that list much
"longer". The next election - when it happens - will show just how
long that list is going to get. It is not over yet.

Ken
Canada

Trouble is, the opposition isn't exactly lilly white, they just haven't
had their chance to show how greedy they are.

Canada (like Australia p'haps? I'm trying to make this fairly relevant
:-) hasn't had very good political leaders for some time. At least in
the past we've shown some *backbone* when it comes to dealing with the
Yanks, but with the new Martin government even that's gone... and I
understand the Conservatives would be even more cosy with the Americans
if they came to power.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Ken Pisichko

Richard wrote:

Trouble is, the opposition isn't exactly lilly white, they just haven't
had their chance to show how greedy they are.

I have never lived in a country that had a lily white administration - not
Canada. Not Australia. Not the USA. Human nature perhaps?..

Canada (like Australia p'haps? I'm trying to make this fairly relevant
:-) hasn't had very good political leaders for some time. At least in
the past we've shown some *backbone* when it comes to dealing with the
Yanks, but with the new Martin government even that's gone... and I
understand the Conservatives would be even more cosy with the Americans
if they came to power.

What you think, and what WILL come to pass, are not necessarily the same
thing. The previous Conservative government (Mulroney, etc) cozied up to
the USA (with B.S. antics like the "Shamrock Summit"). However, Canadians
send a STRONG message to their elected MPs that they DON'T like to be so
cozy. It is quite one thing to be hospitable neighbours (as Canada was)
when your own country won't let you fly back home (as in US airspace being
closed on 9/11), BUT it is quite another to cow-tow (or be a :"handmaiden")
to any super power. To amplify on that point there are STILL many US
families who keep in touch and re-visit Newfoundland and Atlantic Canadian
communities, reminding themselves how lucky they are to be alive because
Canada let them land at some obscure airport and then took care of, fed,
housed and entertained them while their own country -the USA - had closed
borders due to the siege). Not fantasy, just FACT!

Canadians are willing to have soldiers sent to Afghanistan on UN-sanctioned
tours of duty, BUT they are not al all impressed by having their soldiers
killed by some hot-shot USAF pilot who shot first and then asked questions
later, killing 4 Canadian soldiers and THEN pleading immunity because he
"had the right to defend himself". Fanciful arrogant poppy-cock that
Canadians despise!

Similarly, Canadians want NO Canadian soldiers to go with "the Coalition of
the Willing" to fight some bogus war "for freedom".....

Conservative leader Stephen Harper is (I am sure) well advised on these
issues close to Canadian hearts and minds. If not, then he does not deserve
to even be an elected MP, but should be sent to that mausoleum called the
Canadian (appointed) Senate.

Ken
Winnipeg

Old April 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Richard

Ken Pisichko wrote in :

[Canadian off-topic remarks in rec.travel.australia+nz]

Ken
Winnipeg

Ken, I agree with everything you say :-) Now if Spring could just
arrive, things would be perfect...

Richard
Toronto
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
David Bennetts

wrote in message
oups.com...
I once crossed into Canada from Tok Alaska to Beaver Creek Yukon,
Canadian customs at border "any firearms" "no" "any spirits" "no but we
have a few beers" "thats alright" because we were on motorcycles she
asked "do you know Joe ***** riding a Harley" we say no and she replies
well if you see him tell him that one of his panniers is back at the
post office in Tok. Several weeks later crossing the border into BC
from WA (we ferried down to Bellingham) it was a nightmare. It really
depends on who you happen to get while crossing and the mood their in.
Ed in Perth
PS if David wants to see morons he should spend a bit of time in Bali
with the Aussie Yobbo class.

No thanks, I don't go where the Aussie Yobbos do. Bali doesn't appeal to me
at all.

Regards

David Bennetts