Survive Europe with only English

Old January 28th, 2004, 10:17 PM
S Viemeister

Default Survive Europe with only English

pmlt wrote:

On 28 Jan 2004 19:04:36 +0100, Emilia
wrote:

DON"T GO!!! it's a scary, scary place. Ugly & scary. Ugly, scary AND
dangerous!!!!!

??? I don't get it...
Is there a 2nd meaning here?

If YOU had found a perfect place, would YOU want it ruined by hordes of
tourists?

Old January 28th, 2004, 11:37 PM
pmlt

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:28:43 +0100, Magda
wrote:

... DON"T GO!!! it's a scary, scary place. Ugly & scary. Ugly, scary AND
... dangerous!!!!!
... ??? I don't get it...
... Is there a 2nd meaning here?

You sense of humour needs refilling. ;-)

indeed it does! ;-)

Old January 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Reid

Following up to Emilia

Its gone on the list! I'll show SWMBO the website tonight to get
an official decision :-)

DON"T GO!!! it's a scary, scary place. Ugly & scary. Ugly, scary AND
dangerous!!!!!

Right cough Oh yes, I see now its horrible, oh yes and
dangerous.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM
szozu

"Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Emilia

Its gone on the list! I'll show SWMBO the website tonight to get
an official decision :-)

DON"T GO!!! it's a scary, scary place. Ugly & scary. Ugly, scary AND
dangerous!!!!!

Right cough Oh yes, I see now its horrible, oh yes and
dangerous.
--

Yes, I forgot to mention that you have to watch out for "land whales" who
are known to climb up the cliffs and swallow up tourist in one gulp when

Lana

Old January 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Reid

Following up to "szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail dot com

Yes, I forgot to mention that you have to watch out for "land whales" who
are known to climb up the cliffs and swallow up tourist in one gulp when
they're least expecting it--best to stay home where it's safe!

and they all (to a man) refuse to serve Americans & Brits until
they fully account for all the action of Bush and Blair since
elected.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:43 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:34:50 +0100, Magda
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:25:11 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, B
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... The present conjugation of "avere", has four forms that begin with
... "h". Are those the only four words, Magda?

Precisely.

I had a look in my
... Zingarelli, which has a page and a half of words that begin with "h",
... but all of them other than the forms of "avere" look as though they
... are of foreign origin. Some of the them are pretty embedded in the
... Italian language, though.

My Zingarelli has gasp FIVE pages of "H", including hardware, harem, hezbollah, hidalgo,
hippy, hors d'oeuvre, hybris... LOL

You must have the unabridged; mine is a paperback.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:52 AM
randee

Yes, when I said 'a few other countries', I was thinking of Liberia,
Kenya, Nigeria, & Ghana. Did not know about the various 'Z' countries.
Used to be there was a sort of geographical split, the western part of
Africa used English, the central part (French Equatorial Africa) used
French, the eastern part (German East AFrica) used German, and the south
Afrikaans.
--
wf.

B Vaughan wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:35:06 -0700, randee wrote:

Other than South AFrica and a few other countries such as Sierra Leone,
I don't think English is used much at all. I did find that the Sierra
Leone version of English was much more difficult for me to understand
than say, Glasgow English (also difficult for US ears). My wife spent
several years in Africa and primarily used French in her travels through
the country, except for South Africa (English and Afrikaans).

There are many countries in Africa, other than South Africa and Sierra
Leone, where English is more prevalent than French. Just to name a
few that come to my mind: Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, Kenya, Zimbabwe,
Zambia. I'm sure I've overlooked some.

When we were in Zambia, we found English to be widely spoken, even
outside the cities. We rode some long-distance busses in Zambia, and
noticed that a large proportion of the other riders were speaking
English among themselves. English seemed to be the lingua franca among
people from different language groups, but we also saw families that
spoke English among themselves.
-----------

Old January 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Reid

Following up to Owain

I have heard that it is because the French attitude is that it is helpful to
correct a non-native speaker's efforts, and they are therefore reticent to
speak English because they expect to be corrected in the same way.

I was reading a restaurant review and saw this:-

"VALENCE, France - The first time we dined at the illustrious
restaurant Pic, long the holder of three Michelin stars, was in
the 1970s, part of a whirlwind gastronomic tour of France. Pic
was on the schedule for Sunday dinner, but that morning as we
tried to start our leased Renault parked near a church in Lyon,
flames began to fly from the engine.

''Incendie!'' was the first word that came from our lips. When a
man walked out of the church and came to our aid, the first thing
he did was correct our French. This was not an ''incendie,'' he
said, it was a ''petit feu.''"
:-)
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Son Gohan

pmlt wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:08:20 GMT, devil wrote:

I believe this has to do also with Spanish being phonetically rather poor.
Making it hard to acquire new sounds past a certain age.

This is true for Castillan (the commonly called Spanish). For Catalan
however it seems to be a phonetically richer language, especially in
the vogals.

If someone fluent in Catalan is reading this, can you confirm this?

Indeed. Catalan has a wider range of phonems, such as the "vocal
neutra" ( a mixture of the a&e vowels), Ll (sounds like York), and
josep (like Jersey), not found in Castilian.

Catalan, being closer to the occitan language (almost extinct now),
sounds much like French& Italian. In fact, castilian is the only
language from the latin branch that sounds "harsh" . It doesn't
feature that 'melodic' tone that romanian, catalan or portuguese have,
for instance.

you may as well ask in soc.culture catalan if you are really
interested.