FT: Is the world falling out of love with US brands?

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:22 AM
Doug McDonald

JohnT wrote:

Is the US still enamoured with US Brands? From what I read, McDonalds
has
had hard times recently.

Not really. They are still making money head
over heels.

And I never understood why anyone ever drinks
Coca Cola - it tastes like gnats' p*ss.

Three reasons people drink Coca Cola:

1) it's delicious

2) it's carbonated

these are shared with beer and champaign,
of course, but what is not is

3) it's non-alcoholic so you can drink as
much as your kidneys can get rid of

Doug McDonald

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Doug McDonald

Derek McBryde wrote:

(Most) (Some) (choose your own number) US citizens seem to be way out
front of the rest of the world in a lifestyle that is extremely
wasteful and extravagant . It is estimated that it would take 5
planets to sustain the lifestyle in North America.

There is of course one thing that America and Americans
have far less of than people in say, Europe .... envy.
We always find your rationalizations for your poverty
interesting.

The replication of such consumerism elsewhere and the desire for the
current american lifestyle, as expressed above, can only be
detrimental to our future and to individual cultures. However would
it be fair to deny others the luxuries we have enjoyed for years? I
don't think so. So IMO, the only correct solution is for all of us
to moderate our consumption

Standard leftist blather. The correct solution is to work harder
and become prosperous.

Doug McDonald

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:28 AM
Doug McDonald

Gino wrote:

Is the US still enamoured with US Brands? From what I read, McDonalds has
had hard times recently. And I never understood why anyone ever drinks
Coca Cola - it tastes like gnats' p*ss.

But it is easier to find than gnat's ****, at least here in Canada.

I take it you have not visited the Canadian Arctic!

Doug McDonald
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:54 AM
Miguel Cruz

Doug McDonald wrote:
Derek McBryde wrote:
The replication of such consumerism elsewhere and the desire for the
current american lifestyle, as expressed above, can only be
detrimental to our future and to individual cultures. However would
it be fair to deny others the luxuries we have enjoyed for years? I
don't think so. So IMO, the only correct solution is for all of us
to moderate our consumption

Standard leftist blather. The correct solution is to work harder
and become prosperous.

Unless you think that the outcome of sufficient prosperity will be alchemy,
I don't see how that addresses Derek's argument. His point is that there
aren't enough resources for everyone to live the same way much of the US
does.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old December 31st, 2004, 06:57 AM
Miguel Cruz

Kuacou wrote:
I stand corrected, except for the "totalitarian state" bit and your
last two sentences. The USA is not totalitarian, and the President
cannot "lock any one up he wants indefinitely". Only Muslims and
furriners. They have no constitutional rights anyway; and they never
did when outside the USA.

Other than for some political rights, the Constitution applies to everyone
on American soil, citizen or not.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:33 AM
JohnT

"Doug McDonald" wrote in message

Three reasons people drink Coca Cola:

1) it's delicious

2) it's carbonated

these are shared with beer and champaign,
of course, but what is not is

3) it's non-alcoholic so you can drink as
much as your kidneys can get rid of

Doug McDonald

1) It is disgusting.

2) In the US, you may have carbonated beer, but it rarely happens in the
real World. And what is champaign?

3) Water is non-alcoholic and tastes a lot better.

JohnT