Hermes has apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

The failed in their primary mission: sales.

No store depends on sales after business hours.

Oprah had recently bought a dozen of the store?s*Birkin bags, which
run $6,500 a pop. In fact, Oprah had just ordered another one, but
after the snub last weekend, she called Hermes and canceled it.

They won't miss her.

--
Transpose gmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Go Fig

In article , Ian F.
wrote:

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco"
wrote in message

Big deal. The shop was shut- she's not the first person, celebrity or
otherwise, who tried to get into a store afterhours and couldn't.

If I was a Hermes shareholder, I'd be kicking ass big-time. What a bunch of
idiots!

And this isn't some boutique in some hotel, it is their Flagship store.

jay
Thu Jun 23, 2005

Ian

Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Go Fig writes:

The failed in their primary mission: sales.

No store depends on sales after business hours.

In addition to 'overhead', 'marketing' let me add 'customer service'.

jay
Thu Jun 23, 2005

Oprah had recently bought a dozen of the store?sÊBirkin bags, which

Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Mxsmanic

Ian F. writes:

If I was a Hermes shareholder, I'd be kicking ass big-time. What a bunch of
idiots!

Keep in mind that Oprah is nothing outside the U.S., and that many of
her biggest fans couldn't afford a postcard from Hermes.

--
Transpose gmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
John Bermont

Mxsmanic wrote:
Go Fig writes:

A spokeswoman says Oprah Winfrey will discuss the incident on air when
her show resumes production.

Why is she complaining about a store that refused to admit her after
business hours?

"Crash" is a film dealing with race relations. The phrase "crash
moment" refers to situations where a party feels discriminated against
on the basis of skin color.

Oprah's ego was bruised; it has nothing to do with race.

The New York Post, in its Monday Page Six gossip column, reported she
was turned away because the store had been "having a problem with North
Africans lately."

Oprah doesn't look like a North African.

The spokeswoman said Winfrey came to the store 15 minutes after closing
and a security guard informed her the store was closed and gave her a
card, telling her she could come back the next day.

Sounds fine to me.

She said the CEO of Hermes has called Winfrey's people to explain "the
situation" and invited her to come back to shop in the store

I would have suggested to her that she not darken the door of the store
again. Who needs customers like that?

Looks like an "ugly American" episode pure and simple. Oprah should
apologize for the furor she started, and for the insinuations that can
get out of hand and cause real harm to innocents in the line of fire.
John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

If I was a Hermes shareholder, I'd be kicking ass big-time.
What a bunch of idiots!

Keep in mind that Oprah is nothing outside the U.S., and that
many of her biggest fans couldn't afford a postcard from Hermes.

Does Hermes even have significant sales in the US? They may well
come out ahead by acquiring a reputation as "the store that told
a filthy rich arrogant Yank loudmouth to get lost".

Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:13:22 -0700, Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Go Fig writes:

The failed in their primary mission: sales.

No store depends on sales after business hours.

In addition to 'overhead', 'marketing' let me add 'customer service'.

She's just another person in Europe. She does not have any royal
status here.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Go Fig

In article , Jack
Campin - bogus address wrote:

If I was a Hermes shareholder, I'd be kicking ass big-time.
What a bunch of idiots!

Keep in mind that Oprah is nothing outside the U.S.,

and that
many of her biggest fans couldn't afford a postcard from Hermes.

Does Hermes even have significant sales in the US?

I would be surprised if it wasn't a majority of their sales... surely
the most significant single country for gross sale.

I can't help but think they didn't know that they were dealing with
Oprah... on any other day, they would send the entire store to her
suite for review. If they did know... I'd probably fire them.

Oprah is a phenomenon, like non other. If you get on her 'book list'
you are a millionaire.... recently every member of her studio audience
got a free car... she just took her entire staff and their families to
Hawaii for a week.

jay
Thu Jun 23, 2005

Old June 24th, 2005, 12:53 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Go Fig wrote:

In article , Jack
Campin - bogus address wrote:

[]
Does Hermes even have significant sales in the US?

I would be surprised if it wasn't a majority of their sales... surely
the most significant single country for gross sale.

Probably not a majority, but most significant, sure.

I can't help but think they didn't know that they were dealing with
Oprah...

So they turned Oprah away, complaining about north Africans? Is that
what you think?

on any other day, they would send the entire store to her
suite for review. If they did know... I'd probably fire them.

Given your assumed scenario- I'd fire yourself first, for employing them
to begin with.

Oprah is a phenomenon, like non other. If you get on her 'book list'
you are a millionaire.... recently every member of her studio audience
got a free car...

What an idiotic thing to do. I'm more impressed by her donations to the
real poor, however, than donations to her trashy audience.

she just took her entire staff and their families to
Hawaii for a week.

Despite giving studio members cars, she certainly has some very good
sides to her. I'm a bit disturbed by the gossip column rumour. I don't
think these things are accidental- they are often planted, and I
wouldn't be surprised if in this case it was positioned by some
misguided person in her entourage who overdosed on champagne on the day
in question. However, I suspect that in 'the fall' it will all have died
away, and you won't get any gory details. Hermes have denied the
incident took place as described, and say their CCTV backs it up. (Most
CCTV doesn't include audio though, so I don't know how they know that.)

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Go Fig wrote:

[]
Oprah is a phenomenon, like non other.

I had a peek at the Winfrey site. Among little beautiful things she
suggests you buy, we have:

1. a teacup and saucer- Hermes- $135.

" "Tea tastes better when it's sipped from a pretty cup." -Oprah"

2. Africa II Mug ("Mug with painted African scene.")- Hermes- $85

" "I love the feel of a good mug in my hand." -Oprah"

The more I read, the more my heart bleeds, I say _bleeds_, that she
couldn't get in to the shop after it closed...

Or maybe I just couldn't stop s******ing?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net