Train Travel - Germany

Old December 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Train Travel - Germany

I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

Old December 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Skookum wrote:
I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

You get a separate section of the train. On some trains you get more
comfortable seats. On some trains, particularly ICE, you get food service at
your seat. On ICE trains you get video at your seat (at least on some of them,
I think not all, but am not sure).

You get use of a special lounge in some train stations prior to your train.

There are some Regional Trains that don't have a first class.

--
Julie
**********
Old December 14th, 2005, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Skookum wrote:
I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

Not worth it imho unless you're on ICE for most of the time.
BAHN services give you a wee sectioned off cabin and thats all really.
I've been travelling across de for the last ten years or so by
plain/car/train and have never bothered with 1st class at all as their
cattle class is ten times better than the crap we have here in the UK.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old December 14th, 2005, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Skookum wrote:
I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

You get more space and usually more gentile seat mates. For more
information see my web page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm
John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"John Bermont" wrote in message
Skookum wrote:
I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

You get more space and usually more gentile seat mates. For more
information see my web page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm
John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:

Um, I think you mean genteel. The classes aren't divided by religion.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old December 14th, 2005, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Skookum wrote:

I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

You get more space and usually more gentile seat mates. For more
information see my web page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm
John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:

Um, I think you mean genteel.

Yes. Thanks.
John Bermont

Old December 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

In article .com,
"Skookum" wrote:

I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

Not much, actually 8-) I always travel 2nd class. I've walked through
1st class cars and not seen much except slightly more comfortable
seats--not enough to warrant the price difference in my opinion.

I do reserve a seat in advance when I'm sure which train I'll be on.
this can be difficult in a multi-connection trip with different levels
of train, however, which is something I tend to indulge in 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar), biblioholic medievalist

There is no such thing as too many books.

Too few bookshelves can, however, be a problem.

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

Old December 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Second class on German trains (especially on the ICE trains) is
comparable to the first class of many other countries' trains, if not
better. So don't worry about second class being uncomfortable.

On long distance trains (ICE) the main difference is that there are
three seats to a row instead of four, giving you more space.

First class is frequented mainly by business people. Many book first
class because they want a quieter environment to work in, away from the
great unwashed. Having said that, Germans are generally a very quiet
and civil bunch anyhow, so you're unlikely to be disturbed even in
second class (unless you sit next to noisy children).

On regional trains the difference between first and second class is
miniscule.

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Skookum wrote:

I will be using the trains within Germany for a few upcoming parts of
my itinerary and have had a careful look at the main web site
www.bahn.de. What I couldn't seem to locate was a description of what
the extra you get is for travelling first versus second class.

You get more space and usually more gentile seat mates. For more
information see my web page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm
John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:

Um, I think you mean genteel.

Yes. Thanks.
John Bermont

The classes aren't divided by religion.

Regards

David Bennetts

I was just going to relate the joke about the rabbi and the catholic
priest riding on a train together, but perhaps better not.
T.