Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

Old December 12th, 2005, 10:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

On 12/12/05 11:20, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

I ended up positively disliking it,

You were "positive"

Old December 12th, 2005, 11:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:28:31 +0100, Tim C.

[]
They were just normal city folk to me, I found them helpful and friendly
enough. I dislike the Viennese more.

I didn't like the way that they ripped off people.

How did you get ripped off, or saw people get ripped off? Paris, I take
it? I remember seeing someone working on the Eiffel Tower rip off some
Korean tourists. (Place selling snacks on one of the levels.) They gave
him too much money, and he pretended they hadn't. What had been perfect
English turned into rapid French when they questioned the change. It was
so hectic (lots of people) I didn't get involved. Long time ago, late
80s.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Earl Evleth

I find the large ones are hard to cook, over grilling
will make the flesh a bit rubbery. Also, the "sauce"
is usually just melted butter and uninteresting.

The Spanish treat lobster as routine, involving it in recipes,
not just as a special object. I had a nice lobster,potato and
carrot stew in Barcelona.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Magda

... *Never* visit Paris, you'll be so enthralled you'll never leave it. Take my word.
... Oh please. Paris is nice, so are lots of places. I'd rather be in
... San Sebastian, a city on a bay with probably the best food in
... Europe:-

Go ahead, vinegar-chips, say aloud that I don't have the right to have an opinion!

We both have a right to an opinion, Magma, but I'm not taking
your word on Paris.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Magda

... Go ahead, vinegar-chips, say aloud that I don't have the right to have an opinion!
... Touchy!
... Even for a vinegary old bitch.

Reid IS an old bitch indeed.

this is dull.
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:14:52 +0100, Magda wrote:

... *Never* visit Paris, you'll be so enthralled you'll never leave it. Take my word.
... It's just another city as far as I'm concerned. I had a nice time there but
... I wasn't enthralled by it.
... --
... Tim C.

Good for the rest of us Parisians... He he.

I never said I wouldn't be back.
--
Tim C.
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:23:05 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:18:26 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

On 9 Dec 2005 03:46:24 -0800, "PJ O'Donovan" wrote:

with a miniscule little glass of blood red orange juice and advised
"Sie Muessen bei mir fuer die orangensaft zahlen"

I think they saw a sucker ...

LOL you wrote was what others probably thought.
It's not typical behaviour for that part of Germany. Where I stayed 20
minutes away along the coast in Immenstaad, the owner used to give me
a bottle of wine if I didn't have time for breakfast.

That's more like it!

Ime it's sometimes possible to be charged a nominal extra for an egg, in
small, spinster-run B&B's.
--
Tim C.
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

with a miniscule little glass of blood red orange juice and
advised....
"Sie Muessen bei mir fuer die orangensaft zahlen"
PJ

I think they saw a sucker ...
Tim C

Sure.

$5.00 for a tiny class of OJ in a 2d class hotel in a relatively small
town in Germany ?

A lesson eventually learned .

That was not the only time I ran into an "OJ problem" in Europe, Since
I am addicted to starting my day off with my OJ, I learned to to go to
the market and buy my own OJ when arriving in Europe and still always
travel with my own to circumvent this potential "rip-off". Never felt I
had to when travelling in the US.

I guess everybody has a price where they are motivated to "rip off" and
develop their little scams accordingly.

Wait! I thought thought it was axiomatic that the "pursuit of the
almighty buck" was exclusive to us Americans.

Old December 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 12/12/05 13:11, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

Did he know/mention Earl?

Which one? There are tens of thousands of "us".