Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

Old December 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

Martin wrote:

[]
Did you get Google Earth to work, David?

Yes- it's amazing. It seems to use quite a bit of processing power
though I only have a G4 processor, but is stable.

What an astonishing tool it is! I take it that many areas will gradually
add higher resolution. I was a little disappointed I couldn't see my
brother's house in Norway! Mine is very clear- I can even recognise a
neighbour's car. (The picture is around 3 year's old, judging by some of
the building work.)

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old December 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

[]
Only the particularly bad meals stick in my mind from the period in
the late 1960s and early 1970s when I visited Paris to work every
week.

My first two visits to Paris, I remember the food as being either
disappointing or very average- but I made the mistake of being
vegetarian. As an omnivore, I've had better experiences, though not
uniform. In Nice, by contrast, I didn't have a single bad meal. All
excellent.

Old December 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

[]
They all seem to be 3or 4 more years old. If you are vaguely
interested in planes look at the IWM Duxford B52 Flying Fortress and
other old stuff parked around the buildings.

Mont Saint Michel is good too.

Did you learn to tilt the image to get a good 3D effect?

Yes- that's interesting.

Old December 10th, 2005, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 10/12/05 16:49, in article
1h7d297.tc0gd4140pbwqN%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com, "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy" wrote:

We go back occasionally and were there two years ago. Our daughter lives
in Florida so that is the state of preferred destination now.

I only know Miami Beach and Delray Beach, and they do have some good
fish restaurants. In Miami Beach, I tend to prefer going for the Cuban
food though.

We have spent time around Fort Lauderdale and also on the other side
in the Fort Meyers area. From our limited experience the sea food seemed
better on the Miami side of Florida.

Old December 10th, 2005, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Turan Fettahoglu" turan.fe@invalid wrote in message
One might use a ratio of good/bad. But you know Berlin
ain't that bad.

Berlin is all right. I was there in September to check this out.

Turan

I agree, as well. I was there in September, staying in the east, and
attempting to communicate using my atrotious German. In the east, fewer
people speak english, but they would immediately call an associate who did
speak english if my pantomine/bad German didn't work. The shop keepers
didn't seem jaded, and I genuinely enjoyed our attempts at conversation; I
think they did too.

Sarah

Old December 11th, 2005, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:52:01 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

"Martin" skrev i meddelandet
.. .
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:46:35 +0100, DDT Filled Mormons
wrote:

But can you suggest something different?

Opening your fridge door to stop global warming?

and removing the light bulb to save energy.
Martin

Not very fun.
DDT filled have a good point as opening the fridge door actually increases
the global heating by more energy consumption while removing the light bulb
may save a little.

I was actually just making fun of Earl for suggesting that flawed
research was actually of some value.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Earl Evleth

Another weakness
of American seafood presentation is the lack of a "plateau de fruits de mer"

best one I have had was in Scotland, straight out of the loch so
a lot could be raw, also very large hand dived specimens.
In Spain of course it would be much cheaper. Of course neither
give it a French name.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

In a kitchen?

Grilled, boiled and with what sauce?

Yes. Can you remember how a meal was prepared in 1967?

I also don't have the ability to compare a lobster I ate in the
60s with one I eat now with any reliability. But I think the
commonest preparation I ate in the 60s was possibly thermidor and
probably still my favourite. I find a grilled (a la plancha)
large lobster can be a bit too rich. Overall, if I'm paying
restaurant prices I prefer the chef to add some value.
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Magda

... * of course I've never even visited, but what does that matter in
... judging it?

*Never* visit Paris, you'll be so enthralled you'll never leave it. Take my word.

Oh please. Paris is nice, so are lots of places. I'd rather be in
San Sebastian, a city on a bay with probably the best food in
Europe:-
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/basque.htm#sebastian"

Just look at "La Concha" bay, the hills, a poor man can eat like
a King in the tapas bars, or a king can eat like a gourmet in the
high flying restaurants like Akelari. Where else do the menfolk
form cooking societies?