Can I take advantage of Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver Program of visa?

Old October 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bin Zhou" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,

I rented a car from Hertz last month. Since I have no car, no
insurance and I am living in Texas, so I paid two kinds of insurance:
LIABILITY INSURANCE SUPPLEMENT: 9.24 USD /per day
LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER: 21.99 USD /per day

Late, my friend told me if I have platinum visa credit card, I could
take vantage of its program. I went online and found some
information, but I am still confused. I found new program of visa, it
was effective from 03/01/2004, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Program (link:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_waiver_personal.html?it=il|/personal/cards/benefits/index.html|Auto%20Rental%20Collision%20Damage%20Wa iver%20Program)

My questions are as follows:
1. What is the main different coverage between "Auto Rental Collision
Damage Waiver Program" from visa and "LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER" from Hertz?

Not much

2. Should I check my card issuer? I mean different card issuer has
different policy on this program.

You certainly should

3. I also have master card and American express card, which one can
give me best benefit on CDW/LDW?

Check with the card issuers

Note the link mentioned didnt indicate Supplementary Liability
Cover

Keith

Old October 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Roger B.

"Bin Zhou" wrote...
I rented a car from Hertz last month. Since I have no car, no
insurance and I am living in Texas, so I paid two kinds of insurance:
LIABILITY INSURANCE SUPPLEMENT: 9.24 USD /per day
LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER: 21.99 USD /per day

Late, my friend told me if I have platinum visa credit card, I could
take vantage of its program. I went online and found some
information, but I am still confused.
My questions are as follows:
1. What is the main different coverage between "Auto Rental Collision
Damage Waiver Program" from visa and "LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER"
from Hertz?
2. Should I check my card issuer? I mean different card issuer has
different policy on this program.
3. I also have master card and American express card, which one can
give me best benefit on CDW/LDW?

------------------
1. The main difference is that the damage waiver from the car company
is primary coverage, with no deductible, while the rental coverage from
the card company usually has these limitations: It is secondary (after)
any coverage you may have from other sources (your own car ins.) and
they may not honor "loss of use" and "administrate expense" claims.

2. The card company, VISA, MC or AMEX, provides the card's
policy, not the bank that issued the card.

3. A Gold or Platinum card, if used to rent the car, may provide this
coverage automatically. I'm not sure about green or base-level cards.
Call the CS number on the back of your card to ask whether its
automatic or if you need to pay a fee to activate this feature.

BTW, I was recently "claimed" by Thrifty for alleged damage during
a recent rental in Vegas. By saving the "inspection slip," I could prove
that the damage pre-dated my rental. Still, Am-Ex went ahead paid
them $500, simply because I reported the claim to them. Thrifty later
sent me some coupons, but I doubt they'll return the money. [R]

Old October 27th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Claim Guy

"Roger B." wrote in message
t...
1. The main difference is that the damage waiver from the car company

is primary coverage, with no deductible, while the rental coverage from
the card company usually has these limitations: It is secondary (after)
any coverage you may have from other sources (your own car ins.) and
they may not honor "loss of use" and "administrate expense" claims.

A minor correction - the Loss Damage Waiver is not insurance coverage at
all, but a waiver of the rental companys right to invoke the rental contract
provisions requiring you to pay for any damage to the vehicle. The
mis-description of this as "coverage" is quite common.

2. The card company, VISA, MC or AMEX, provides the card's
policy, not the bank that issued the card.

Another minor point, but the coverage provided by the credit card companies
is actually insurance coverage but it is underwritten by an insurance
company, not directly by the credit card company

Old October 27th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Roger B.

"Claim Guy" wrote:
"Roger B." wrote...
1. The main difference is that the damage waiver from the car company
is primary coverage, with no deductible, while the rental coverage from
the card company usually has these limitations: It is secondary (after)
any coverage you may have from other sources (your own car ins.) and
they may not honor "loss of use" and "administrate expense" claims.

A minor correction - the Loss Damage Waiver is not insurance coverage
at all, but a waiver of the rental companys right to invoke the rental
contract provisions requiring you to pay for any damage to the vehicle.
The mis-description of this as "coverage" is quite common.

Sure, but I was not using the term in the technical sense, but to describe
how the waiver "covered" the renter's liability in a general sense, and to
to facilitate comparison with the coverage provided by the charge card's
policy. The OP's concern is that his liability is "covered" in some
fashion.
[Roger]