Greece travelogue

Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Greece travelogue

In article ,
says...

You said:

I intensively read about Greek
history from the Bronze age to the modern age. [...] But I found
nothing about the temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae

which suggests that you looked for stuff, but found nothing. Maybe it's
just a question of phrasing.

If you specifically look for information about the temple in Bassae, you
will find it. But if you are simply reading about Greek history (I read
lots of articles in wikipedia and the sections in my two guidebooks),
you'll find no mention of the temple in Bassae. It's not listed there.

For instance I read a lot about the battle in Thermopilae and the
Persian wars, went deep into the Doric invasion (which probably wasn't
an invasion), read about the Greek independence war, the Byzantine
period, tried to understand why suddenly Greece ceased to exist (they
sort of went into decline after Alexander and were then conquered by
Rome), looked for an answer to the question why Athens has so few
historic sights (the only ones are those from ancient Greece; the answer
is that Athens stopped being an important place by the Roman time and
already in Byzantine times was an unimportant provincial city). And so
on... In all this reading, nowhere the temple in Bassae was mentioned.
Go figure.

The more substantive point is whether it's worth visiting. If you want
to drive up on fast roads, and see something immediately accessible,
with a range of international foods for when you're done, then probably
not. If you know you are going, then I think it repays the time to read
up about the temple, what it looks like under the tent, how it was
constructed, and to experience those things over a reasonable stay. Then
you can go and have lunch in one of the nearby villages. I'm not trying
to be obnoxious - though it probably seems that way - but I really feel
that you can't expect to appreciate some of these places under the
conditions that you were travelling.

Well, in all my trips I have never had the ambition to be the perfect
traveller. To a certain extent I let myself surprise by the new places I
visit. I don't do a deep, thorough analysis of each place I will visit
before visiting it.

Regarding the temple in Bassae I chose it as a destination because it
was on the UNESCO list and in the right area (the Peloponnese).
Estimated that it would be easily accessible from Olympia, so that we
could do Olympia in the morning, drive to Bassae, visit the temple and
arrive comfortably in Gialova in the late afternoon or evening.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank F. Matthews

Iceman wrote:

On Jun 23, 3:51 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,

I intensively read about Greek
history from the Bronze age to the modern age. [...] But I found
nothing about the temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae

which suggests that you looked for stuff, but found nothing. Maybe it's
just a question of phrasing.

If you specifically look for information about the temple in Bassae, you
will find it.

19,900 results for "don't bother you've already seen the Parthenon"
180,000 results for "boring ass pile of rocks Greece"
20,300 results for "**** this ruins **** where are all the topless
scandinavian chicks"

No matches for any one of the three different searches.

You messed up something. Or maybe you got matches for any one of the
various words.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank F. Matthews

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Iceman wrote:

On Jun 23, 3:51 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,

I intensively read about Greek
history from the Bronze age to the modern age. [...] But I found
nothing about the temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae

which suggests that you looked for stuff, but found nothing. Maybe it's
just a question of phrasing.

If you specifically look for information about the temple in Bassae, you
will find it.

19,900 results for "don't bother you've already seen the Parthenon"
180,000 results for "boring ass pile of rocks Greece"
20,300 results for "**** this ruins **** where are all the topless
scandinavian chicks"

Yet "iceman is a ****" didn't get any results!

It will now though, when its archived!

It will is you leave off the quotes. 32,200 hits.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
lid says...

Pictures here
http://cybergeorge.net/GreeceFall200...06/Palace.html
http://www.inside-mani-travel.com/messiniainfo.html
http://www.greecetravel.com/pelopone...1_jpg_view.htm

Ok, then I didn't miss that much ;-)

Wife: What? You again want to visit stones?
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Iceman wrote:

On Jun 23, 3:51 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
I intensively read about Greek
history from the Bronze age to the modern age. [...] But I found
nothing about the temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae

which suggests that you looked for stuff, but found nothing. Maybe it's
just a question of phrasing.

If you specifically look for information about the temple in Bassae, you
will find it.

19,900 results for "don't bother you've already seen the Parthenon"
180,000 results for "boring ass pile of rocks Greece"
20,300 results for "**** this ruins **** where are all the topless
scandinavian chicks"

Yet "iceman is a ****" didn't get any results!

It will now though, when its archived!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Iceman wrote:

On Jun 23, 3:51 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,

I intensively read about Greek
history from the Bronze age to the modern age. [...] But I found
nothing about the temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae

which suggests that you looked for stuff, but found nothing. Maybe it's
just a question of phrasing.

If you specifically look for information about the temple in Bassae, you
will find it.

19,900 results for "don't bother you've already seen the Parthenon"
180,000 results for "boring ass pile of rocks Greece"
20,300 results for "**** this ruins **** where are all the topless
scandinavian chicks"

Yet "iceman is a ****" didn't get any results!

It will now though, when its archived!

It will is you leave off the quotes. 32,200 hits.

Most things will get thousands of hits if you leave of the quotes.

Old June 24th, 2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:51:12 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Well, in all my trips I have never had the ambition to be the perfect
traveller. To a certain extent I let myself surprise by the new places I
visit. I don't do a deep, thorough analysis of each place I will visit
before visiting it.

We think alike there. I do some research, sometimes quite
detailed - but the best pleasures are the unexpected ones.
In Greece, for me, they were Epidaurus and Mycenae.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: The Tropical North