GPS on laptop

Old August 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
GD

Default GPS on laptop

On our cruises to Alaska and the Mexican Riviera I have used both
Microsoft Streets and Trips and Garmin city Navigator on my laptop
Both worked very well. You just zoom out on your location until you
see where your car icon is in relation to the shore. The same type
programs should work for a Mac.

Gary
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Somebody once mentioned that they have a GPS on their laptop and use
it on cruises to see what that cluster of lights is to starboard and see
exactly where they are.
Anybody with Mac experience that could suggest some possibilities.
Also, in general what kind of maps do you need? Maritime navigational or
something else?

It's very useful especially when cruising the Mississippi River downriver
from New Orleans. I called it my poor man's GPS.
http://public.fotki.com/apjung/vacat...l_sensation/1/ (see
picture DSC02167)

http://public.fotki.com/apjung/vacat...val_fantasy/1/ (see
picture DSC2340)

Though it's a pain having to lug my laptop around. This was before I finally
got a TomTom One after camping out over 12 hours at Best Buy for Black
Friday doorbuster special.

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old August 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Skipfromla wrote:

The last cruise I was on I brought some charts and had a small Garmin
GPS unit from the boat that read out in only lat and long. Neither
are expensive. With a little practice you can quickly plot your
location on a chart. As it turned out, I didn't really need it
because everywhere I went on the boat there seemed to be a monitor
with the ship's location that was also on the TV in our cabin.

Skip

Hey, I have not seen you since Las Vegas. It is nice to see you
here, Skip. This is a fun group, most of the time.

Becca
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Kurt Ullman :

Somebody once mentioned that they have a GPS on their laptop and use
it on cruises to see what that cluster of lights is to starboard and see
exactly where they are.
Anybody with Mac experience that could suggest some possibilities.
Also, in general what kind of maps do you need? Maritime navigational or
something else?

The ones I use are specifically designed for "at sea" navigation.
Celestaire has a wide varaity of products. I currrently use Cap'n
Jack. But I also don't have a boat anymore!!!!!

I use a specialized GPS receiver along with my high gain antenna and
802.11a/b/g receiver to do a little wardriving. I have another one
that I use to "tune" my car.
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:37:12 -0500, Becca
wrote:

Skipfromla wrote:

The last cruise I was on I brought some charts and had a small Garmin
GPS unit from the boat that read out in only lat and long. Neither
are expensive. With a little practice you can quickly plot your
location on a chart. As it turned out, I didn't really need it
because everywhere I went on the boat there seemed to be a monitor
with the ship's location that was also on the TV in our cabin.

Skip

Hey, I have not seen you since Las Vegas. It is nice to see you
here, Skip. This is a fun group, most of the time.

Becca

Ah, the beautiful Becca. I've been hanging out here since about 1998,
and only occasionally post. I've noticed it's a lot calmer than AVLV,
although it does have it's moments. I look forward to seeing both of
you again.

Hi to George.

Skip
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Skipfromla wrote:

Ah, the beautiful Becca. I've been hanging out here since about 1998,
and only occasionally post. I've noticed it's a lot calmer than AVLV,
although it does have it's moments. I look forward to seeing both of
you again.

Hi to George.

Skip

We will see you in June, if not before then. Take care of yourself.

Becca