Going back....

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

Default Going back....

On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:34:50 -0700 (PDT), Dan Newb
wrote:

On May 27, 10:07*pm, Keith Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:20:44 -0700 (PDT), Dan Newb

wrote:

it sounds like most of the attractions are outside Berlin itself ?

Seeing as how I am a guide in Berlin, the major city sights are part
and parcel of my daily professional life. Tourists from the
English-speaking world expect to visit these major sights on their
(usually) short stays, so I am, naturally enough, familiar with them..
However, as a resident, I want to explore further afield and I do.

Most of the places I mentioned are, in fact, within the city
boundaries.

Keith Anderson, Geprüfter Stadtführer/Qualified Berlin Guide.

Verband der Berliner Statdtführer/Berlin Guide e.V.

but what would you recommend in Berlin itself ?

As always, it depends on your own particular interests.

My walking tours start at Alexanderplatz, go past the Red Town
Hall/Neptune Fountain, into the Nikolaiviertel (the core of the old
city), Marx-Engles Forum, Dom/Altes Museum/Musueum Island, German
Histrorical Museum, Neue Wache, Forum Fredericianum/St
Hedwigs/Bebelplatz, Gendarmenmarkt, Checkpoint Charlie,
Reichsluftfhahrtsministerium, Site of Reichskanzlei, Site of
Führerbunker, Holocaust Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag - with
lots of background chat in between. I reckon with the background chat
this gives a reasonable overview of the city and various stages in its
growth (and decline/re-growth).

My bus tours do pretty much the same, but go out to the East Side
Gallery, Karl-Marx Allee (former Stalinallee), Potsdamer Platz and
"Centre West" (near Zoo) and have a different perspective on the new
Government Quarter.

These should give a reasonable overview of the major city-centre
sights. I'd say that any first-timer in Berlin should get these places
under his/her belt.

Then what?

The Wall/Cold War, Prussian history, city development, "Kiezes"
(neighbourhoods), "Green" Berlin, Nazi Berlin, World War II/Soviet
Memorial in Treptower Park and on Str des 17. Juni, Museums and Art
Galleries....all depends on your interests.

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
I've given up watching LOST...

wrote:

[...]

thanks for the info., interests are 'everything', I will put it on my
'to do' list ;-)
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nick Cramer

Alan S wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
Alan S wrote:
[ . . . ]
Hey - I'm 62yo and waddling towards dementia mate...sorry,
where were we?

Actually, I can remember all 30+ countries, even all the US
states. I do get a little confused over some of the towns...

To add to the cornfusion, there are many towns with the same names in
different states or provinces. ;-)

G'day Nick; nice to see you he-)

Likewise, I'm sure! ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
'Blue' Dan Newb

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ci...-the-Wall.html
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Fri, 29 May 2009 05:00:43 -0700 (PDT), "'Blue' Dan Newb"
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ci...-the-Wall.html

That just about covers the principal sights in the central area :-)