When This Flight Attendant Tells You to Sit Down . . .

Old February 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

Default When This Flight Attendant Tells You to Sit Down . . .

In message Mxsmanic
was claimed to have wrote:

DevilsPGD writes:

Yeah, but I covered that in another post (and just didn't want to
repeat), punitive damages could be paid to the state rather than the
victim getting a windfall.

What's wrong with the victim getting a windfall?

It encourages many of the current problems in the legal system, namely,
people desiring to become a victims simply for the windfall.

I'm all about the victim being compensated for their actual damages plus
legal fees, plus something for their trouble (mental suffering,
whatever)

And why would the state deserve to collect punitive damages?

Because that benefits everyone collectively, both indirectly (by
encouraging better corporate citizens) as well as directly (gov't
funding either means more services from the gov't or less taxes)
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message Bert Hyman
was claimed to have wrote:

In DevilsPGD
wrote:

Yeah, but I covered that in another post (and just didn't want to
repeat), punitive damages could be paid to the state rather than the
victim getting a windfall.

Blech! Why in the world should The State get such a windfall?

You do realize The State is made up of We The People (that's you and me,
and everyone else), right?
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

Because that benefits everyone collectively, both indirectly (by
encouraging better corporate citizens) as well as directly (gov't
funding either means more services from the gov't or less taxes)

Also, punative damages are a kind of fine and the fine usually goes
to the State. Whistleblowers, for instance, only get a cut of the take
if there is a recovery. I would have no problem with the plaintiff
getting a taste (the WB laws generally give around 10%) for their
troubles.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Bert Hyman
was claimed to have wrote:

In DevilsPGD
wrote:

Yeah, but I covered that in another post (and just didn't want to
repeat), punitive damages could be paid to the state rather than the
victim getting a windfall.

Blech! Why in the world should The State get such a windfall?

You do realize The State is made up of We The People (that's you and
me, and everyone else), right?

That's funny!

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hls

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sancho Panza writes:

"... At that point, I just put him into a
choke hold."

Excessive force.

Not your call.
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/1/...ou+a+Terrorist

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:39 AM
BlackEyes BlackEyes is offline
Banned

Well that is a good thing that you have done...Ever since that 911 thingy I think every flight attendant should be trained to be able to fight and defend themselves and the passengers. It is not just useful for planes but in your daily lives as well. It appears to me that more and more crooks are born on the daily basis.

Last edited by BlackEyes : February 16th, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

BlackEyes writes:

Well that is a good thing that you have done...Ever since that 911
thingy I think every flight attendant should be trained to be able to
fight and defend themselves and the passengers. It is not just useful
for planes but in your daily lives as well. It appears to me that more
and more crooks are born on the daily basis.

Violence is not a durable solution to any problem, and it is almost never
necessary in daily life or on airplanes. Violent terrorists on airplanes are
so rare that they are statistically insignificant, much more so than
accidents, and even accidents are extremely rare.
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

BlackEyes writes:

Well that is a good thing that you have done...Ever since that 911
thingy I think every flight attendant should be trained to be able to
fight and defend themselves and the passengers. It is not just useful
for planes but in your daily lives as well. It appears to me that more
and more crooks are born on the daily basis.

Violence is not a durable solution to any problem, and it is almost never
necessary in daily life or on airplanes. Violent terrorists on airplanes are
so rare that they are statistically insignificant, much more so than
accidents, and even accidents are extremely rare.

But defensive training would also be useful for drunks, the mentally
ill, and aggressive a$$holes. Bigger percentage of your client base
(especially the first and last).

Old February 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Kurt Ullman writes:

But defensive training would also be useful for drunks, the mentally
ill, and aggressive a$$holes. Bigger percentage of your client base
(especially the first and last).

Halting alcohol sales on board would eliminate almost all of these problems,
as would denying boarding to drunks (which is legally required, anyway,
although it's often ignored).
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kenny McCormack[_2_]

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
BlackEyes writes:

Well that is a good thing that you have done...Ever since that 911
thingy I think every flight attendant should be trained to be able to
fight and defend themselves and the passengers. It is not just useful
for planes but in your daily lives as well. It appears to me that more
and more crooks are born on the daily basis.

Violence is not a durable solution to any problem, and it is almost never

This is, alas, simply not true. Every day of every one of our lives
proves the opposite. Violence is always present, though generally
submerged below the surface, in the form of the constant threat of it,
should we step out of line. But its presence is always necessary.

necessary in daily life or on airplanes. Violent terrorists on airplanes are
so rare that they are statistically insignificant, much more so than
accidents, and even accidents are extremely rare.

What you say is true in a statistical sense, but not in any real sense,
because isolated instances can and do have wide, far reaching effects.

I'm going to talk, of course, of 9/11. In a statistical sense, this was
an obscure, isolated event. But think of its consequences. It
propelled us into all of our current wars, for which the bill is
something like $5 trillion and growing, with no end in sight. It fueled
the administration of GWB, which has caused untold damage to the
fabric of our society, the costs of which will be felt for decades to
come (if we ever recover, which we probably will not).