Overweight Luggage Partial Solution

Old December 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

Default Overweight Luggage Partial Solution

A few years ago I bought a small, digital, postal scale on eBay that
goes up to 60 pounds and displays pounds/ounces or kilograms/grams.
It's very accurate and cost $21 including S&H. It runs off house
current 110V - 120V or a 9V battery.

My luggage is tends to be 2 to 5 pounds over the airline's weight
limits but I usually had to wait until checking the bag to find out
and then the option of paying another $25-$50 or removing items and
sticking them in my carry on.

When the airlines lowered their maximum checked luggage weight and
started charging exorbitant fees for even one pound over (United
wanted $100), this scale has saved me maybe $300 in overweight luggage
fees. When the airlines start charging for overweight carry on bags,
it will save even more money.

It's also small and light enough to pack and take with you if your
luggage tends to be heavier on a return trip.

I've noticed digital hanging scales, the same idea as fishing scales,
that would probably work great too.

I thought I'd mention what I think is a good idea. I have nothing to
do with manufacturing or selling these scales although pitching the
airline angle might make for a killer marketing campaign.

Skip