Going back....

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

Default Going back....

"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.
--
Mike
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Mike wrote on May 25, 2009:

"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.

Not entirely. From your quote Simon King seems to be saying that he feels the
need to 'uncover' everything about a place in a single visit. I've hardly
ever visited a place and left without the feeling that I would like to return
some time to continue the process of 'uncovering'. I don't find that
frustrating at all.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:42:31 +0100, Mike wrote in post :
:

"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.

I'm not frustrated then, it just makes me want to go back. It's a positive
feeling, not a negative one that makes me want more of a place.
--
Tim C.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:42:31 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.

Well, a place like Berlin which I'd been visiting since 1979 had so
many hidden corners that I decided to move here in 2007 and discover a
whole load more. The job is by no means finished.

Had a few days in Poznan, Poland, at the beginnng of April. Lots more
to uncover there, too.

My advice to Mr King is simple - if there's more to discover, go back
and discover it.

Maybe his problem is that he won't go back unless the Torygraph pays
his travel and expenses, which is a different matter entirely.

Keith Anderson, Geprüfter Stadtführer/Qualified Berlin Guide.

Verband der Berliner Statdtführer/Berlin Guide e.V.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Keith Anderson wrote:

[]
Maybe his problem is that he won't go back unless the Torygraph pays
his travel and expenses, which is a different matter entirely.

I daresay they'll be minded to watch their own expenses at the moment.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mike Lane wrote:
Mike wrote on May 25, 2009:

"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.

Not entirely. From your quote Simon King seems to be saying that he feels the
need to 'uncover' everything about a place in a single visit. I've hardly
ever visited a place and left without the feeling that I would like to return
some time to continue the process of 'uncovering'. I don't find that
frustrating at all.

In my experience, one can live in a place for many, many years and STILL
not "uncover" everything of interest. (Including its "famous" tourist
attractions, which residents may only experience if entertaining
out-of-town guests.) That's not "frustrating", it's just "life"!

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge15

english berlin guide lol
Do you serve them fluo green jellys for tea ?
Isn't the Cabot tower enough for you ?

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Mon, 25 May 2009 13:47:48 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

From your quote Simon King seems to be saying that he feels the
need to 'uncover' everything about a place in a single visit.

I think he meant he likes to go back.
--
Mike
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Mon, 25 May 2009 17:10:40 +0200, Keith Anderson
wrote:

My advice to Mr King is simple - if there's more to discover, go back
and discover it.

Maybe his problem is that he won't go back unless the Torygraph pays
his travel and expenses, which is a different matter entirely.

he works for the BBC mostly, I think? I didn't get any indication from
the whole article that he expecting to go anywhere free.
--
Mike