Opinions: Southern Caribbean Cruise

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

Default Opinions: Southern Caribbean Cruise

Posting for a friend: Anyone done Royal Caribbean's Southern Caribbean
Cruise out of San Juan in June? Interested in quality of food and
services, amenities, size of staterooms, but most importantly wheelchair
accessibility.

Couple is mid-forties and fit: One fully ambulatory; the other needs a
wheelchair, but can stand and walk short distances with assistance. This
will be for a honeymoon.

Stef
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Stefan Patric wrote:
Posting for a friend: Anyone done Royal Caribbean's Southern Caribbean
Cruise out of San Juan in June? Interested in quality of food and
services, amenities, size of staterooms, but most importantly wheelchair
accessibility.

Couple is mid-forties and fit: One fully ambulatory; the other needs a
wheelchair, but can stand and walk short distances with assistance. This
will be for a honeymoon.

They should be sure and book an accessible cabin which will be the same
cost as any other cabin in the category they want. Accessible cabins
have wider doorways to allow wheelchair access and the cabins are large
so storing it is not a problem. The doorway of regular cabins are not
wide enough for a wheelchair.

sue
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Stefan Patric wrote:
Posting for a friend: Anyone done Royal Caribbean's Southern
Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan in June? Interested in
quality of food and services, amenities, size of staterooms,
but most importantly wheelchair accessibility.

Couple is mid-forties and fit: One fully ambulatory; the other
needs a wheelchair, but can stand and walk short distances with
assistance. This will be for a honeymoon.

They should be sure and book an accessible cabin which will be
the same cost as any other cabin in the category they want.
Accessible cabins have wider doorways to allow wheelchair access
and the cabins are large so storing it is not a problem. The
doorway of regular cabins are not wide enough for a wheelchair.

sue

Be sure to also inquire about the type of shower in the cabin.
Our recent Ryndam cruise had tubs with HIGH sides, rather than a
flat floor shower or even a step-in low based shower stall. With a
broken shoulder, I still had no problem stepping over the 18" or
so side for my daily shower, but Mrs. Nonny had a lot of
difficulty. Outside of the tub issue, though, the Ryndam was very
accessible otherwise.

We also were on a Carnival ship (?, George Leppla would recall)
out of Seattle a few years back and had just a regular cabin. The
doors were too narrow to permit Mrs. Nonny's scooter inside at all
and necessitated me turning it on end and dragging it in at night
for charging.

Also, many of the ships have an elevated threshold for access to
deck areas, including the pool area on the Lido deck. It's not
specific to any line in particular. While ramped, the 2" or so
threshold can be a barrier to someone wheeling themselves in a
manual chair or with a scooter that has a low clearance between
the wheels.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:48:31 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Stefan Patric wrote:
Posting for a friend: Anyone done Royal Caribbean's Southern
Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan in June? Interested in
quality of food and services, amenities, size of staterooms,
but most importantly wheelchair accessibility.

Couple is mid-forties and fit: One fully ambulatory; the other
needs a wheelchair, but can stand and walk short distances with
assistance. This will be for a honeymoon.

I see two of these on Serenade of the Seas. Is that the ship you were
asking about?? (It would be better to say what ship)

One itin. is:
San Juan, Puerto Rico; Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba; Roseau,
Dominica; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico

And the other one is
San Juan, Puerto Rico; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St.
John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin
Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico

I looked because I wanted to know if there would be any tender ports,
but it does not look like there are. I don't know how wheelchair
accessible those ports are.

Old February 6th, 2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Nonny wrote:

Be sure to also inquire about the type of shower in the cabin. Our
recent Ryndam cruise had tubs with HIGH sides, rather than a flat floor
shower or even a step-in low based shower stall. With a broken shoulder,
I still had no problem stepping over the 18" or so side for my daily
shower, but Mrs. Nonny had a lot of difficulty. Outside of the tub
issue, though, the Ryndam was very accessible otherwise.

I thought that all accessible cabins would have roll in showers??

Also, many of the ships have an elevated threshold for access to deck
areas, including the pool area on the Lido deck. It's not specific to
any line in particular. While ramped, the 2" or so threshold can be a
barrier to someone wheeling themselves in a manual chair or with a
scooter that has a low clearance between the wheels.

The higher barriers are even hard on someone in an electric wheelchair.
My friend was able to get over them with some help, but it hurt her neck
and also lossened up somethings on her chair. There were also a couple
of places she just couldn't go, but that was on the Azamara Journey
which is an older ship.

sue
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message
Stefan Patric wrote:
[...]

You just reminded me of another issue, many ports are not wheelchair
friendly. Since the person in question can walk a few steps, having a
folding wheelchair to use in the ports would be very helpful and make
more excursions possible.

sue
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stu[_3_]

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Stefan Patric wrote:
[...]

San Juan, St.John, and St.Martin are all docking, I don't know about
the others. These three are very acessable by wheelchair.

Old February 6th, 2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stu[_3_]

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 19:38:19 -0500, Sue Mullen

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message
Stefan Patric wrote:
[...]

The three I mentioned in the other thread are all accessable by
wheelchair, although in St.Martin you'll have to take the water taxi
over to the main part of town which will mean in and out of the water
taxi but it wasn't bad.
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Stefan Patric wrote:
[...]

I didn't know the ship or itin. My friends didn't say. Just Southern
Caribbean. Royal Caribbean. But if those two are the only Southern
Caribbean trips, then it's probably Serenade of the Seas.

Stef
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Stefan Patric consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared On 2/6/2010 1:34 AM:

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:48:31 -0800, wrote:

"Sue wrote in message

Stefan Patric wrote:

[...]

Some tropical ports in the Caribbean can be mighty hot in June. If
there's a lull in the breeze off the sea, a daytime outing anywhere
without air conditioning or swimming in cool water can be mucho
uncomfortable. Ask your friends if they don't mind the heat.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951